Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,347.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Simple question... Did the Virgin Mary remain a virgin?

54 And when he was come into his own country, he taught them in their synagogue, insomuch that they were astonished, and said, Whence hath this man this wisdom, and these mighty works?
55 Is not this the carpenter's son? is not his mother called Mary? and his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas?
56 And his sisters, are they not all with us? Whence then hath this man all these things? - Matthew 13

So I take the story that Mary had the baby Jesus as a virgin. After that God blessed Mary and Joseph with four sons and daughters. It seems that at Christ handed her off to the Apostle John while on the cross. Which makes me wonder why he did not suggest her to go back home as she had four other sons

25 Now there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalene.
26 When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son!
27 Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home. - John 19

So yes... Mary was a virgin at the birth of Jesus. But she had a family after that. I would imagine about seven children. I would suppose Christ Jesus liked it that way as it freed him up for ministry.

Last edited:

topcare

The Eucharist is Life
Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But it never says that the Blessed Virgin had anymore children but Christ, to assert She did is to make the text say something that is not there. Future your putting modern ideas on ancient text and a culture that was not modern

Reactions: rrguy
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,347.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
But it never says that the Blessed Virgin had anymore children but Christ, to assert She did is to make the text say something that is not there. Future your putting modern ideas on ancient text and a culture that was not modern

55 Is not this the carpenter's son? is not his mother called Mary? and his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas?
56 And his sisters, are they not all with us? Whence then hath this man all these things? - Matthew 13

But other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother. - Galatians 1:19

Upvote 0

topcare

The Eucharist is Life
Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

But other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother. - Galatians 1:19
Your still putting modern idea's upon the text, is does not say they were Christ direct siblings. Unfortunately modern evangelical type Protestants have learned quite a bit of falsehood and been very good at place thier modern ideas in ancient culture even though they don't have the slightest notion which that culture was like.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,560.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Jesus' brethren do not defer to Him as they would to their eldest brother, but instead treat him as elder siblings would treat a younger brother. Scripture also states that they did not initially believe in Him, which would be difficult to accept if they had grown up in His shadow, but makes perfect sense if they were already young adults when Jesus was born.
IMHO, scripture is entirely consistent with Mary remaining a virgin.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,347.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I would look for scripture somewhere. I have no commands or prayer in scripture to use any other name in prayer but the name of Jesus...

And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him. - Colossians 3:17

For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them. - Matthew 18:20

But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me. - Mark 9:39

And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name... (followed by a bunch of miracles) Mark 16:17

And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. - John 14:13

If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it. - John 14:14

Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you. - John 15:16

And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you. - John 16:23

Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full. - John 16:24

At that day ye shall ask in my name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you: - John 16:26

Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk - Acts 3:6

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. - John 14:6

No other way to the Father but by Jesus Christ. No other name to pray by but to the Father in Jesus name. If Mary would have remained a virgin and a power in heaven I would need some scripture to back it up.

Reactions: TurtleHugger
Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Greek used is more ambiguous than people think it: it could be cousins.

Furthermore, according to the Law, a widower who remarries; any children of the widower from his previous marriage would be siblings of any new children, full stop.

So as my post says, the Greek is quite ambiguous.

Reactions: rrguy
Upvote 0

Victory of the Cross

Jesus is the Word of God
Mar 3, 2005
✟41,510.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Hopefully than you don't pray (ask) to others to pray for you
Never ask others for prayer, Jesus said we could ask the Father direct in his name.

Like many things about religion praying to mary, saints, the neighbors dead dog to beg them to pray on your behalf is a slap in the face to Jesus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Never ask others for prayer, Jesus said we could ask the Father direct in his name.

Like many things about religion praying to mary, saints, the neighbors dead dog to beg them to pray on your behalf is a slap in the face to Jesus.

St. Paul taught to pray for one another. I suppose his writings that made it into Holy Scripture aren't a credible source for Christian piety?

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,560.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Jesus commanded us to love one another. Providing prayer support to our brethren who ask is one way we act in love. It also crosses the boundary between this life and the next, where all members of Christ's body are able to demonstrate their love through intercessory prayer.
Slap in the face? No.
Obedience to His command? You betcha!

Of course I don't think praying to the neighbors dead dog applies.

Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

My, how quickly this thread has gone off-topic! The OP has received its usual responses - biblical citations concerning the named brothers and the sisters of Jesus Christ and the standard refutations by those who wish to interpret these citations as being something other than brothers and sisters.

It does seem quite peculiar that a couple would enter into the holy bonds of matrimony in order to establish a one-man monastery and a one-woman convent, sharing the same house with the child of the woman. Typically, this would be the solid argument for the annulment of the marriage.

Upvote 0

StephanieSomer

Mar 16, 2014
Chesapeake, VA
✟12,328.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm really surprised at the lack of familiarity with the Scriptures that has people trying to deduce something from Scriptures which do not actually address the question.

The answer to the question has nothing to do with Christ's brothers and sisters. It is found explicitly in Matt 1:25.

"But he did not consummate their marriage until she gave birth to a son."

So, the marriage between Joseph and Mary WAS consummated after Christ's birth. End of virginity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wonder how many people think the virginity question at hand actually relates to salvation being available through Christ? Would her lack of eternal virginity change anything? Does one's salvation hinge on one's beliefs on the matter?

Upvote 0

Metal Minister

New Year, Still Old School!
May 8, 2012
✟29,999.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It seems that at Christ handed her off to the Apostle John while on the cross. Which makes me wonder why he did not suggest her to go back home as she had four other sons
This is a common question, but the reason is simple. Jesus half brothers, those whom were the biological children of Mary and Joseph, did not believe in Christ. This did not happen until after the resurrection (as we see in Acts), so Jesus gave her care over to a disciple. Mary obviously believed in Jesus and so did John while His brothers were as yet unsaved.

Upvote 0

Metal Minister

May 8, 2012
✟29,999.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jesus' brethren do not defer to Him as they would to their eldest brother, but instead treat him as elder siblings would treat a younger brother. Scripture also states that they did not initially believe in Him, which would be difficult to accept if they had grown up in His shadow, but makes perfect sense if they were already young adults when Jesus was born.
IMHO, scripture is entirely consistent with Mary remaining a virgin.

Which would be a sin, but that's for another thread. If you also pay close attention, they did not treat Jesus well because they thought he was insane:[bless and do not curse]When his family heard about this, they went to take charge of him, for they said, “He is out of his mind.” - Mark 3:21

Upvote 0

Metal Minister

May 8, 2012
✟29,999.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wonder how many people think the virginity question at hand actually relates to salvation being available through Christ? Would her lack of eternal virginity change anything? Does one's salvation hinge on one's beliefs on the matter?

According to the RCC, yes it does. It's dogma one must believe in order to be considered among their numbers....or face their church's anathema....

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,347.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I'm really surprised at the lack of familiarity with the Scriptures that has people trying to deduce something from Scriptures which do not actually address the question.

The answer to the question has nothing to do with Christ's brothers and sisters. It is found explicitly in Matt 1:25.

"But he did not consummate their marriage until she gave birth to a son."

So, the marriage between Joseph and Mary WAS consummated after Christ's birth. End of virginity.

24 Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife:
25 And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name Jesus. - Matthew 1

Good scripture!

Upvote 0