Did the Vatican ‘Snub’ German Bishops Over Synodal Way?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Bishop Stefan Oster of Passau was one of the first bishops to speak out after the visit to Rome.

VATICAN CITY — On Saturday, a president of the German Synodal Way accused the Vatican of “snubbing” German Catholics.

Irme Stetter-Karp is president of the Central Committee of German Catholics and co-president of the Synodal Way.

In a statement released Nov. 19, the laywoman said that the “fundamental criticism of the Synodal Way” raised last week by the Vatican “not only snubs the German bishops, who overwhelmingly consider reforms necessary. It also disregards the impatience of many Catholics with their Church.”

Sixty-three German bishops were in Rome last week for talks with Pope Francis and the Roman Curia.

A joint statement issued by the Holy See and the German Bishops’ Conference on Friday spoke of dialogue and patience — but otherwise showed there was little agreement between the Vatican and the German prelates over the process that has raised worldwide concerns and warnings of a new schism coming out of Germany.

Continued below.

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,044.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Beyond the headlines, it appears the Pope maybe waiting for the outcome of the council to make pronouncements.
Am I seeing that right? :crossrc: :scratch:

had “made it very clear that, on the one hand, they want to continue to be in dialogue with the bishops in Germany, as well as about the decisions and results of the Synodal Way in Germany.”​

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,044.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
If I were an orthodox Bishop/priest/clergy and wanted an audience with the Pope, definitely be humble and kind to him.
It makes me wonder how often he is attacked and has become inordinately defensive and closed off.

Yea above all he ought to lead in humility. But the tone of humble over the years has been sifted ... it would seem put him down constantly, misquoting him and overall attacking him may have traumatized him a bit and made him harder to reach.

It all started with the intentional misquotes which led to the spirit of distrust. And it escalated to an avalanche.
These are dark times, and the Church has many times had dark times... but these are the darkest times according the frequent apparitions since the 1800's.

I assure you, prayer for the Pope for his own healing and the healing of the rifts and distrust can soothe the spiritual warfare the Church is under attack from.

AND I KNOW I am not popular with my opinions. But I once read it's not good to attack the Pope but the news media thrives on it.
Prayer. It's not just a thing...
It's THE WHOLE THING we need.

Upvote 0