Did the Soviets have abridged Bibles?

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I was taught in school that the Soviet citizens were "just like us" but even as a child, I could see past the propaganda and see that their goal in life was plain survival and not pursuing happiness or meaning. The biographies of average citizens didn't look anything like the people I knew and finances was not the difference.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
From what I've heard, the Soviets strictly limited how many Bibles could be printed in the USSR. Few were allowed to be printed entirely. The Orthodox and other recognized religious groups were only allowed to have materials for their liturgies or worship services, and the government closely monitored and controlled the activities of those groups.

The Soviets did not just censor Bibles but also a wide variety of literature.

Upvote 0

McCristin

Jan 19, 2015
Canada
✟16,569.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
From what I've heard, the Soviets strictly limited how many Bibles could be printed in the USSR. Few were allowed to be printed entirely.
So it sounds like what you're saying is they had some complete Bibles and a larger amount of abridged Bibles? Of course "abridged" can mean a few things. It can mean all un-Bolchevik passages are removed or it could mean large sections removed, which is what those little red Psalms/Proverbs/New Testaments were.

Upvote 0