Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of course. The possibility of apostasy, has been a core church belief down through the ages, it seems Calvinism is just the exception.
The Bible does indeed teach apostasy. It does not teach one who is regenerated and filled with the Spirit of God becomes an apostate.

• Haha
Reactions: renniks
Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Bible does indeed teach apostasy. It does not teach one who is regenerated and filled with the Spirit of God becomes an apostate.
So someone who has never really believed in the first place can stop believing... Come on get real.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In every instance in the Bible, OT and NT,

a slave was able to chose to obey, and also was able to chose to run away, right ?
The run away slave was always one who left a place of abuse. Interesting as in the case of the Law a run away slave could not be returned to the previous master.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So someone who has never really believed in the first place can stop believing... Come on get real.
Wheat and tares, sheep and goats, “Lord Lord didn’t we...”

Many called few chosen.

The Spirit testifies with our spirit we are children of God.

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Nope.
No reference to the "New Covenant" promised in Jeremiah 31:31-34, which is found fulfilled in Hebrews 8:6-13, and Hebrews 10:16-18, and specifically applied to the "church" in Hebrews 12:18-24.

Instead there is a "covenant of grace", which is a term not found in the Bible.

For some reason the authors of the WCF decided to replace the Bible term "the New Covenant" with the term "the covenant of grace".
Was it because they were Judaisers who could not let go of the Sinai Covenant?
Why did Paul compel the Galatian believers to "cast out" the Sinai Covenant of "bondage" in Galatians 4:24-31?

This confusion has led to the claim that we are still under the 4th commandment, in the WCF.
You cannot keep the Sinai sabbath on the wrong day of the week, at the wrong time of day, by only doing some work instead of none.
Based on Colossians 2:16-17, the Sinai sabbath was a shadow of Christ.
Christ is now our Sabbath rest every day of the week, if you are in the New Covenant.

"3. Man by his fall having made himself incapable of life by that covenant, the Lord was pleased to make a second,a commonly called the covenant of grace: wherein he freely offered unto sinners life and salvation by Jesus Christ, requiring of them faith in him that they may be saved,b and promising to give unto all those that are ordained unto life his Holy Spirit, to make them willing and able to believe.c

a. Gen 3:15; Isa 42:6; Rom 3:20-21; 8:3; Gal 3:21. • b. Mark 16:15-16; John 3:16; Rom 10:6, 9; Gal 3:11. • c. Ezek 36:26-27; John 6:44-45.

4. This covenant of grace is frequently set forth in the Scripture by the name of a testament, in reference to the death of Jesus Christ the testator, and to the everlasting inheritance, with all things belonging to it, therein bequeathed.a

a. Luke 22:20; 1 Cor 11:25; Heb 7:22; 9:15-17."

The New Covenant is not that hard to find, based on the scripture found below.

Jer_31:31 "Behold, the days are coming, says the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah—

Mat_26:28 For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Mar_14:24 And He said to them, "This is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many.

Luk_22:20 Likewise He also took the cup after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in My blood, which is shed for you.

1Co_11:25 In the same manner He also took the cup after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me."

2Co_3:6 who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

Heb_8:8 Because finding fault with them, He says: "BEHOLD, THE DAYS ARE COMING, SAYS THE LORD, WHEN I WILL MAKE A NEW COVENANT WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL AND WITH THE HOUSE OF JUDAH—

Heb_8:13 In that He says, "A NEW COVENANT," He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

Heb_9:15 And for this reason He is the Mediator of the new covenant, by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions under the first covenant, that those who are called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance.

Heb_12:24 to Jesus the Mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling that speaks better things than that of Abel.
(NKJV)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If someone learns the Hebrew (and Greek) language and reads Scripture again, they are often very surprised that what they once believed is not found anywhere in Scripture !

p.s. The grammar/logic in the quoted post doesn't satisfy properly:
Scripture does not teach to steal either, but people steal. Even believers steal.
The real travesty is when things not taught in Scriptures are assumed.

We do know of the wheat and tares, the sheep and goats and the pleas of those who said they are His hearing “I never knew you.”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nope.
No reference to the "New Covenant" promised in Jeremiah 31:31-34, which is found fulfilled in Hebrews 8:6-13, and Hebrews 10:16-18, and specifically applied to the "church" in Hebrews 12:18-24.

Instead there is a "covenant of grace", which is a term not found in the Bible.

For some reason the authors of the WCF decided to replace the Bible term "the New Covenant" with the term "the covenant of grace".
Was it because they were Judaisers who could not let go of the Sinai Covenant?
Why did Paul compel the Galatian believers to "cast out" the Sinai Covenant of "bondage" in Galatians 4:24-31?

"3. Man by his fall having made himself incapable of life by that covenant, the Lord was pleased to make a second,a commonly called the covenant of grace: wherein he freely offered unto sinners life and salvation by Jesus Christ, requiring of them faith in him that they may be saved,b and promising to give unto all those that are ordained unto life his Holy Spirit, to make them willing and able to believe.c

a. Gen 3:15; Isa 42:6; Rom 3:20-21; 8:3; Gal 3:21. • b. Mark 16:15-16; John 3:16; Rom 10:6, 9; Gal 3:11. • c. Ezek 36:26-27; John 6:44-45.

4. This covenant of grace is frequently set forth in the Scripture by the name of a testament, in reference to the death of Jesus Christ the testator, and to the everlasting inheritance, with all things belonging to it, therein bequeathed.a

a. Luke 22:20; 1 Cor 11:25; Heb 7:22; 9:15-17."

The New Covenant is not that hard to find, based on the scripture found below.

Jer_31:31 "Behold, the days are coming, says the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah—

Mat_26:28 For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Mar_14:24 And He said to them, "This is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many.

Luk_22:20 Likewise He also took the cup after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in My blood, which is shed for you.

1Co_11:25 In the same manner He also took the cup after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me."

2Co_3:6 who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

Heb_8:8 Because finding fault with them, He says: "BEHOLD, THE DAYS ARE COMING, SAYS THE LORD, WHEN I WILL MAKE A NEW COVENANT WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL AND WITH THE HOUSE OF JUDAH—

Heb_8:13 In that He says, "A NEW COVENANT," He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

Heb_9:15 And for this reason He is the Mediator of the new covenant, by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions under the first covenant, that those who are called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance.

Heb_12:24 to Jesus the Mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling that speaks better things than that of Abel.
(NKJV)

That is the New Covenant in the Blood of Christ.

Maybe you should read it again? You quoted the footnotes. Luke 22:20 is quoted. The use of “Testament” and “Testator” is used. Testament means covenant.

“This covenant of grace is frequently set forth in the Scripture by the name of a testament, in reference to the death of Jesus Christ the testator, and to the everlasting inheritance, with all things belonging to it, therein bequeathed.”

20In the same way, after supper He took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood, which is poured out for you.

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Testament means covenant.

For some strange reason the Greek word "diatheke" is translated as "testament" in some places, and as "covenant" in others, in the KJV.

It has consistently been translated as "covenant" in the NKJV.

Can you explain why the WCF says we are still under the 4th commandment?

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For some strange reason the Greek word "diatheke" is translated as "testament" in some places, and as "covenant" in others, in the KJV.

It has consistently been translated as "covenant" in the NKJV.

Can you explain why the WCF says we are still under the 4th commandment?

I believe they refer to it as the Christian Sabbath on the Lord’s Day.

Chapter 21: Of Religious Worship and the Sabbath Day | Reformed Theology at A Puritan's Mind

This has a better explanation in plain English:

1689 Baptist Confession Chapter 22

Given the OP title it does indicate that even the early church observed a Sunday Christian Sabbath.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wheat and tares, sheep and goats, “Lord Lord didn’t we...”

Many called few chosen.

The Spirit testifies with our spirit we are children of God.

That's not apostasy. Apostasy by definition is the renunciation of a belief. The tares and goats never really believed in your system. So, you have this contradiction, (yet again) where you have to say people fall away and yet they were never saved. Had a Calvinist quoting Spurgeon left and right, and I mentioned spurgeon softened his stance on Arminianism later in life and the Calvinist says "Yes, he became apostate."
"What? You are quoting someone whom you believe was never saved in the first place?"
No answer.
Fact, in your system one is either destined to be saved since before birth or he is destined to be lost. Nothing he does or says makes one bit of difference, because it's all destiny, that cannot be altered. I'm convinced that old perseverance of the saints bit sends a lot of people to hell. Because they think that what they are hearing is God's Spirit but it's just their own desire. They said a prayer once and think they are fixed for eternity. But, deep down, they don't really believe in anything but themselves.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's not apostasy. Apostasy by definition is the renunciation of a belief. The tares and goats never really believed in your system. So, you have this contradiction, (yet again) where you have to say people fall away and yet they were never saved. Had a Calvinist quoting Spurgeon left and right, and I mentioned spurgeon softened his stance on Arminianism later in life and the Calvinist says "Yes, he became apostate."
"What? You are quoting someone whom you believe was never saved in the first place?"
No answer.
Fact, in your system one is either destined to be saved since before birth or he is destined to be lost. Nothing he does or says makes one bit of difference, because it's all destiny, that cannot be altered. I'm convinced that old perseverance of the saints bit sends a lot of people to hell. Because they think that what they are hearing is God's Spirit but it's just their own desire. They said a prayer once and think they are fixed for eternity. But, deep down, they don't really believe in anything but themselves.
Not a contradiction by the verses I mentioned. The tares grow side by side with the wheat, the goats and sheep graze in the same field. And those who say “Lord, Lord” are clearly convinced they are part of the assembly. And Jesus says He never knew them.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No answer.
Spurgeon did not soften his stance but made the comments on John Wesley as a prince and brother and he loved him but did not agree with his doctrines.

Spurgeon grew tired of the Ultra Calvinist movement in England and what you may think as a softening was one brother in Christ defending another he most certainly disagreed with.

To ultra-Calvinists his name is as abhorrent as the name of the Pope to a Protestant: you have only to speak of Wesley, and every imaginable evil is conjured up before their eyes, and no doom is thought to be sufficiently horrible for such an arch-heretic as he was. I verily believe that there are some who would be glad to rake up his bones from the tomb and burn them, as they did the bones of Wycliffe of old—men who go so high in doctrine, and withal add so much bitterness and uncharitableness to it, that they cannot imagine that a man can fear God at all unless he believes precisely as they do.

There is also this:

Never to be outdone by anybody, Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892) ventured that “if there were wanted two apostles to be added to the number of the twelve, I do not believe that there could be found two men more fit to be so added than George Whitefield and John Wesley.” (C. H. Spurgeon’s Autobiography, Vol. 1, p. 173.)

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Still with that pagan determinism.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Spurgeon did not soften his stance but made the comments on John Wesley as a prince and brother and he loved him but did not agree with his doctrines.

Spurgeon grew tired of the Ultra Calvinist movement in England and what you may think as a softening was one brother in Christ defending another he most certainly disagreed with.

To ultra-Calvinists his name is as abhorrent as the name of the Pope to a Protestant: you have only to speak of Wesley, and every imaginable evil is conjured up before their eyes, and no doom is thought to be sufficiently horrible for such an arch-heretic as he was. I verily believe that there are some who would be glad to rake up his bones from the tomb and burn them, as they did the bones of Wycliffe of old—men who go so high in doctrine, and withal add so much bitterness and uncharitableness to it, that they cannot imagine that a man can fear God at all unless he believes precisely as they do.

There is also this:

Never to be outdone by anybody, Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892) ventured that “if there were wanted two apostles to be added to the number of the twelve, I do not believe that there could be found two men more fit to be so added than George Whitefield and John Wesley.” (C. H. Spurgeon’s Autobiography, Vol. 1, p. 173.)
Not so sure about him not softening:
"I am myself persuaded that the points of the Calvinist alone is right upon some points, and the Arminian alone is right upon others.

Spurgeon went on to say, “There is a great deal of truth in the positive side of both systems, and a great deal of error in the negative side of both systems. If I were asked, ‘Why is a man damned?’ I should answer as an Arminian answers, ‘He destroys himself’. I should not dare to lay man’s ruin at the door of Divine sovereignty. On the other hand, if I were asked, ‘Why is a man saved?’ I could only give the Calvinist answer, ‘He is saved through the sovereign grace of God, and not at all of himself."

He sounds like today's nominal Calvinist, who just don't try to understand the implications of the system.

Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0