Did Solomon become an unrepentant sinner later in his life?

Lik3

Nov 21, 2011
South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
In the Old Testament, men were to put away their foreign wives, because they came from pagan lands. Why didn't Solomon do so? He at one time asked God for wisdom. How come he didn't ask for wisdom concerning all of his wives? Unlike David, did Solomon repent?

1 Kings 11:1-12
King Solomon, however, loved many foreign women besides Pharaoh’s daughter—Moabites, Ammonites, Edomites, Sidonians and Hittites. 2 They were from nations about which the Lord had told the Israelites, “You must not intermarry with them, because they will surely turn your hearts after their gods.” Nevertheless, Solomon held fast to them in love.

3 He had seven hundred wives of royal birth and three hundred concubines, and his wives led him astray. 4 As Solomon grew old, his wives turned his heart after other gods, and his heart was not fully devoted to the Lord his God, as the heart of David his father had been. 5 He followed Ashtoreth the goddess of the Sidonians, and Molek the detestable god of the Ammonites. 6 So Solomon did evil in the eyes of the Lord; he did not follow the Lord completely, as David his father had done.

7 On a hill east of Jerusalem, Solomon built a high place for Chemosh the detestable god of Moab, and for Molek the detestable god of the Ammonites. 8 He did the same for all his foreign wives, who burned incense and offered sacrifices to their gods.

9 The Lord became angry with Solomon because his heart had turned away from the Lord, the God of Israel, who had appeared to him twice. 10 Although he had forbidden Solomon to follow other gods, Solomon did not keep the Lord’s command. 11 So the Lord said to Solomon, “Since this is your attitude and you have not kept my covenant and my decrees, which I commanded you, I will most certainly tear the kingdom away from you and give it to one of your subordinates. 12 Nevertheless, for the sake of David your father, I will not do it during your lifetime. I will tear it out of the hand of your son.

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Did Solomon become an unrepentant sinner later in his life?

He worshiped Pagan gods, amongst other things. His heart had never been fully devoted to God, as his father David's was. It only became more apparent as he got older.

He never had a "heart for God" as David did.

Reactions: Lik3
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,159.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Read the Book of Ecclesiastes and I think Solomon repented there.

For me, Ecclesiastes is a more authoritative book than Proverbs if contradictions arise and there's quite a few contradictions there concerning worldly wealth. In Proverbs, worldly wealth is highly esteemed. In Ecclesiastes, worldly wealth is worthless (as Christ also taught).

• Friendly
Reactions: Lik3
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Read the Book of Ecclesiastes and I think Solomon repented there.

For me, Ecclesiastes is a more authoritative book than Proverbs if contradictions arise and there's quite a few contradictions there concerning worldly wealth. In Proverbs, worldly wealth is highly esteemed. In Ecclesiastes, worldly wealth is worthless (as Christ also taught).

Proverbs is the book of wisdom and it speaks of the very "genesis" of wisdom, which is the "fear of God".

Where in Ecclesiastes is it written that Solomon repented?

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Listen, that is a very good question.

I was asked that same question when I started in seminary.

And to be honest, I still do not have a sufficient answer.

However, looking at what Solomon wrote, we are forced to conclude that he may have "repented" near the end of his life as his books were written about that time.

Here is another "thinker".

The first mention of Job, is in Gen. 46:13. He is a son of Issachar.

Is this Job, and the author of the book of Job, one in the same? If so, that would make the book of Job, the oldest book of the Old Testament. Written before the Torah.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,159.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Proverbs is the book of wisdom and it speaks of the very "genesis" of wisdom, which is the "fear of God".

Where in Ecclesiastes is it written that Solomon repented?

It wasn't explicitly stated that Solomon repented in Ecclesiastes but he clearly had a change of heart and turning away from the worldly things he esteemed in Proverbs.

Repentance is turning away from sins and this include ways which lead to sin or missing God's Love.

For example, King Solomon spoke highly of worldly wealth in Proverbs which signifies his love for these.

Saint John in 1 John 2:15-17 said if we love anything in this world, the Love of God is not in us.

And then in Ecclesiastes, King Solomon no longer esteemed worldly wealth and saw them as "meaningless" or "worthless" which shows a change of heart towards worldly things. Solomon's attitude towards wealth this time, agrees with Christ's teaching in John 6:63.

Solomon's huge change attitude in Ecclesiastes towards one that agrees with Christ from his worldly ways is a sign of repentance.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Listen, that is a very good question.

I was asked that same question when I started in seminary.

And to be honest, I still do not have a sufficient answer.

However, looking at what Solomon wrote, we are forced to conclude that he may have "repented" near the end of his life as his books were written about that time.

Here is another "thinker".

The first mention of Job, is in Gen. 46:13. He is a son of Issachar.

Is this Job, and the author of the book of Job, one in the same? If so, that would make the book of Job, the oldest book of the Old Testament. Written before the Torah.

God Bless

Till all are one.
However, looking at what Solomon wrote, we are forced to conclude that he may have "repented" near the end of his life

Such as....?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
It wasn't explicitly stated that Solomon repented in Ecclesiastes but he clearly had a change of heart and turning away from the worldly things he esteemed in Proverbs.

Repentance is turning away from sins and this include ways which lead to sin or missing God's Love.

For example, King Solomon spoke highly of worldly wealth in Proverbs which signifies his love for these.

Saint John in 1 John 2:15-17 said if we love anything in this world, the Love of God is not in us.

And then in Ecclesiastes, King Solomon no longer esteemed worldly wealth and saw them as "meaningless" or "worthless" which shows a change of heart towards worldly things. Solomon's attitude towards wealth this time, agrees with Christ's teaching in John 6:63.

Solomon's huge change attitude in Ecclesiastes towards one that agrees with Christ from his worldly ways is a sign of repentance.
What did you read in Proverbs that indicated this?

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Such as....?

Song of Solomon, Ecclesiastes for example.

Look at the estimated time these books were written.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Song of Solomon, Ecclesiastes for example.

Look at the estimated time these books were written.

God Bless

Till all are one.
i was referring to what you posted here:
However, looking at what Solomon wrote, we are forced to conclude that he may have "repented" near the end of his life
Where, specifically is one forced to conclude that Solomon repented?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
i was referring to what you posted here:

Where, specifically is one forced to conclude that Solomon repented?

Just my opinion, based on the context/content.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Just my opinion, based on the context/content.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Well see, that's what i was sorta' zero-ing in on, if it was your opinion.

As far as you know, there are no verses that specifically say that Solomon repented, is that correct?

The bottom line is if Solomon had repented he would've SURELY torn down/destroyed those altars, etc. he put up for those pagan gods, would he not?

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well see, that's what i was sorta' zero-ing in on, if it was your opinion.

As far as you know, there are no verses that specifically say that Solomon repented, is that correct?

Yes, it is my opinion. And there are no "specific" verse(s) that come right out and say "Solomon repented".

The bottom line is if Solomon had repented he would've SURELY torn down/destroyed those altars, etc. he put up for those pagan gods, would he not?

But it wasn't written that way. Just realize that King Solomon was about 60 years old when he died. Does the Holy Writ cover all his 60 years?

And let me ask you one thing friend, and I mean no disrespect.

Has God "lost" any of the OT Prophets?

What would the world say if it became known that the book we so love, part was written and included as part of the canon, was written by a sinner?

If nothing else, knowing God's providence, I doubt that God would let Solomon slip away to eternity "lost".

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes, it is my opinion. And there are no "specific" verse(s) that come right out and say "Solomon repented".

But it wasn't written that way. Just realize that King Solomon was about 60 years old when he died. Does the Holy Writ cover all his 60 years?

And let me ask you one thing friend, and I mean no disrespect.

Has God "lost" any of the OT Prophets?

What would the world say if it became known that the book we so love, part was written and included as part of the canon, was written by a sinner?

If nothing else, knowing God's providence, I doubt that God would let Solomon slip away to eternity "lost".

God Bless

Till all are one.

Solomon was approximately 80 when he died, wasn't he?

And there is a bottom line regarding letting the pagan altars stand or having them destroyed before his death if he repented. To let them stand indicates an abominable heart before the living God.

it is written "in his old age" Solomon continued abominations before the living God.

Yes, it DOES matter my friend, IF they were destroyed, indicating Solomon's repentance.

Is it written anywhere?

Speaking of books written by sinners, David wrote MUCH of what is written in the Bible.

He was a sinner.

A repentant, forgiven one.

Speaking of prophets (men of God, meaning that above all else they "feared" God and therefore "holy") Was Solomon a holy man of God?

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Solomon was approximately 80 when he died, wasn't he?

And there is a bottom line regarding letting the pagan altars stand or having them destroyed before his death if he repented. To let them stand indicates an abominable heart before the living God.

it is written "in his old age" Solomon continued abominations before the living God.

Yes, it DOES matter my friend, IF they were destroyed, indicating Solomon's repentance.

Is it written anywhere?

Speaking of books written by sinners, David wrote MUCH of what is written in the Bible.

He was a sinner.

A repentant, forgiven one.

Read the books of 1&2 Kings and 1&2 Chronicles. The Kings often built and troe down, then only to have another king rebuild.

In seminary, I did a study on Manasseh. Read of the old kings.

And, David was no Solomon was he?

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Read the books of 1&2 Kings and 1&2 Chronicles. The Kings often built and troe down, then only to have another king rebuild.

In seminary, I did a study on Manasseh. Read of the old kings.

God Bless

Till all are one.

It is written that the righteous kings tore down the pagan altars. And that is partially why they were called righteous.
apparently God agrees.

It was David who God called a "man after His own heart" and the "apple of His eye".

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Would you care to respond to this?:

Speaking of prophets (men of God, meaning that above all else they "feared" God and therefore were "holy" men of God) Was Solomon a holy man of God?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,159.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
What did you read in Proverbs that indicated this?

Proverbs have several more verses with these theme (wealth here is clearly in the context of worldly / material wealth):

Proverbs 14:24
The wealth of the wise is their crown, but the folly of fools yields folly.

Proverbs 21:20, Proverbs 24:4, Proverbs 15:6, Proverbs 8:21, Proverbs 10:22.

Many "prosperity gospel" preachers quote from the Book of Proverbs a lot and they are absolutely correct to take the context of wealth in Proverbs as worldly / material wealth.

Solomon esteems worldly honor and worldly wealth a lot in Proverbs.

Fast forward back to the New Testament, the general teaching is different - the inheritance of the wise is eternal life, not worldly wealth in this life, nor even honor in this world (luke 6:20-26, John 15:19). And the NT explicitly stated several times that worldly / material wealth is worthless (amounts to nothing) and love of these things shows the lack of God's Love (1 John 2:15-17).

The Book of Ecclesiastes, King Solomon no longer talks favorably of worldly wealth. How could God bless His children with worthless / meaningless things? Saint John in 1 John 2:15-17 clearly says these things (worldly wealth) does not come from The Father.

King Solomon agrees with it in Ecclesiastes. A change of heart (clear sign of repentance).

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,159.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It is written that the righteous kings tore down the pagan altars. And that is partially why they were called righteous.

Solomon was nearing his death when he came to his senses. Probably far too weak physically and in mind to do anything else.

Of course, he could have given the order for his men to tear those down. But probably too weak to decide about it.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Proverbs have several more verses with these theme (wealth here is clearly in the context of worldly / material wealth):

Proverbs 14:24
The wealth of the wise is their crown, but the folly of fools yields folly.

Proverbs 21:20, Proverbs 24:4, Proverbs 15:6, Proverbs 8:21, Proverbs 10:22.

Many "prosperity gospel" preachers quote from the Book of Proverbs a lot and they are absolutely correct to take the context of wealth in Proverbs as worldly / material wealth.

Solomon esteems worldly honor and worldly wealth a lot in Proverbs.

Fast forward back to the New Testament, the general teaching is different - the inheritance of the wise is eternal life, not worldly wealth in this life, nor even honor in this world (luke 6:20-26, John 15:19). And the NT explicitly stated several times that worldly / material wealth is worthless (amounts to nothing) and love of these things shows the lack of God's Love (1 John 2:15-17).

The Book of Ecclesiastes, King Solomon no longer talks favorably of worldly wealth. How could God bless His children with worthless / meaningless things? Saint John in 1 John 2:15-17 clearly says these things (worldly wealth) does not come from The Father.

King Solomon agrees with it in Ecclesiastes. A change of heart (clear sign of repentance).

Have you read the complete book of Proverbs?

Especially verses like this one?:

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding." ~Pr 9:10

Anyone who "fears" the Lord does not have a "love of money".

In addition, the one who "fears the Lord" is a cheerful "giver" and gives freely to the poor, sometimes anonymously.

Last edited:
Upvote 0