Did Paul see Jesus at the road to Damascus?

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟884,137.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We know Paul was hit by a light and fell to the ground. He heard the voice of Jesus, but did he also see him? Paul came out blind from this event.

“But it happened that as I was on my way, approaching Damascus about noontime, a very bright light suddenly flashed from heaven all around me, and I fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to me, ‘Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?’ And I answered, ‘Who are You, Lord?’ And He said to me, ‘I am Jesus the Nazarene, whom you are persecuting.’ And those who were with me saw the light, to be sure, but did not understand the voice of the One who was speaking to me. And I said, ‘What shall I do, Lord?’ And the Lord said to me, ‘Get up and go on into Damascus, and there you will be told of all that has been appointed for you to do.’ But since I could not see because of the brightness of that light, I was led by the hand by those who were with me and came into Damascus.
— Acts 22:6-11

“While so engaged as I was journeying to Damascus with the authority and commission of the chief priests, at midday, O King, I saw on the way a light from heaven, brighter than the sun, shining all around me and those who were journeying with me. And when we had all fallen to the ground, I heard a voice saying to me in the Hebrew dialect, ‘Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me? It is hard for you to kick against the goads.’ And I said, ‘Who are You, Lord?’ And the Lord said, ‘I am Jesus whom you are persecuting. But get up and stand on your feet; for this purpose I have appeared to you, to appoint you a minister and a witness not only to the things which you have seen, but also to the things in which I will appear to you; rescuing you from the Jewish people and from the Gentiles, to whom I am sending you,
— Acts 26:12-17

For I would have you know, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man. For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ.
— Galatians 1:11-12

Am I not free? Am I not an apostle? Have I not seen Jesus our Lord? Are you not my work in the Lord?
— 1 Corinthians 9:1

Reactions: dqhall

Abaxvahl

Jan 28, 2018
Earth
✟33,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
We know Paul was hit by a light and fell to the ground. He heard the voice of Jesus, but did he also see him? Paul came out blind from this event.

“But it happened that as I was on my way, approaching Damascus about noontime, a very bright light suddenly flashed from heaven all around me, and I fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to me, ‘Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?’ And I answered, ‘Who are You, Lord?’ And He said to me, ‘I am Jesus the Nazarene, whom you are persecuting.’ And those who were with me saw the light, to be sure, but did not understand the voice of the One who was speaking to me. And I said, ‘What shall I do, Lord?’ And the Lord said to me, ‘Get up and go on into Damascus, and there you will be told of all that has been appointed for you to do.’ But since I could not see because of the brightness of that light, I was led by the hand by those who were with me and came into Damascus.

“While so engaged as I was journeying to Damascus with the authority and commission of the chief priests, at midday, O King, I saw on the way a light from heaven, brighter than the sun, shining all around me and those who were journeying with me. And when we had all fallen to the ground, I heard a voice saying to me in the Hebrew dialect, ‘Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me? It is hard for you to kick against the goads.’ And I said, ‘Who are You, Lord?’ And the Lord said, ‘I am Jesus whom you are persecuting. But get up and stand on your feet; for this purpose I have appeared to you, to appoint you a minister and a witness not only to the things which you have seen, but also to the things in which I will appear to you; rescuing you from the Jewish people and from the Gentiles, to whom I am sending you,

For I would have you know, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man. For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ.

Am I not free? Am I not an apostle? Have I not seen Jesus our Lord? Are you not my work in the Lord?

Yes, for in the last verse he claims having seen him. Either by another revelation (elsewhere he mentions his abundance of revelations) or this one sufficed to consider him a person who has seen Jesus.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,159.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Does this mean that Jesus always arrive in a great spectacle that many will see it?

Or he will make some few "minor" obscure returns when only few will notice Him before he makes a glorious return that many will see?

Matthew 24:26-28:

26 “So if anyone tells you, ‘There he is, out in the wilderness,’ do not go out; or, ‘Here he is, in the inner rooms,’ do not believe it. 27 For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. 28 Wherever there is a carcass, there the vultures will gather.

Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Does this mean that Jesus always arrive in a great spectacle that many will see it?

Or he will make some few "minor" obscure returns when only few will notice Him before he makes a glorious return that many will see?

Matthew 24:26-28:

26 “So if anyone tells you, ‘There he is, out in the wilderness,’ do not go out; or, ‘Here he is, in the inner rooms,’ do not believe it. 27 For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. 28 Wherever there is a carcass, there the vultures will gather.

Revelation 1:11-18 Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send [it] unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea. 12 And I turned to see the voice that spake with me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks; 13 And in the midst of the seven candlesticks [one] like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle. 14 His head and [his] hairs [were] white like wool, as white as snow; and His eyes [were] as a flame of fire; 15 And His feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and His voice as the sound of many waters. 16 And He had in His right hand seven stars: and out of His mouth went a sharp two-edged sword: and His countenance [was] as the sun shineth in His strength. 17 And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. And He laid His right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last: 18 I [am] He that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,528.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Can you explain why you are asking?

Upvote 0

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟884,137.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Can you explain why you are asking?

General curiousity. I also wonder what Paul means by "his gospel". Is that what he got from Jesus at this time, that he was to go to the Gentiles, or did he have later revelations of Jesus. Some say Paul had an encounter with Jesus later (2 Cor 12) where Paul got the understanding of law and gospel, which I very much doubt.

Some put Paul's writings in the center of the NT and read the rest of the NT from their understanding of Paul. I think this can turn out wrong.

Another interesting matter is if Paul saw Jesus after Jesus' ascension, then others might have seen Jesus as well, even today.

I have a book by a journalist who came to faith by seeing Jesus, at least that is what she claims. I have not read the book yet though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Revelation 1:11-18 Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send [it] unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea. 12 And I turned to see the voice that spake with me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks; 13 And in the midst of the seven candlesticks [one] like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle. 14 His head and [his] hairs [were] white like wool, as white as snow; and His eyes [were] as a flame of fire; 15 And His feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and His voice as the sound of many waters. 16 And He had in His right hand seven stars: and out of His mouth went a sharp two-edged sword: and His countenance [was] as the sun shineth in His strength. 17 And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. And He laid His right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last: 18 I [am] He that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

Galatians 1:11-12

1 Corinthians 9:1
I think it is valid to say Paul saw him. After all, if any of us in our mortal skin were to see him as he REALLY is, it would undo us, physically and mentally.

• Friendly
Reactions: zoidar
Upvote 0

Abaxvahl

Jan 28, 2018
Earth
✟33,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Some put Paul's writings in the center of the NT and read the rest of the NT from their understanding of Paul. I think this can turn out wrong.

Another interesting matter is if Paul saw Jesus after Jesus' ascension, then others might have seen Jesus as well, even today.

I think many have seen Jesus from then even to our era, it is something I rather expect from the Church. The Apostolic age and our age is not different to me, we are just continuing.

As for his writings at the center, to me that has always been a strange thing to do. I have always read his Epistles as essentially commentary on the Four Gospels, and I think you can attach a portion of an Epistle to everything Jesus says, and not only His Epistles but the whole of them. This way it is like the Gospels are the jewel and the rest of the NT the setting, and the OT around that also (generally).

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,528.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
General curiousity. I also wonder what Paul means by "his gospel". Is that what he got from Jesus at this time, that he was to go to the Gentiles, or did he have later revelations of Jesus. Some say Paul had an encounter with Jesus later (2 Cor 12) where Paul got the understanding of law and gospel, which I very much doubt.

I have a book by a journalist who came to faith by seeing Jesus, at least that is what she claims. I have not read the book yet though.

Well, Jesus appeared to me when I was about 8.

Few are prepared to talk about such experiences as they are usually branded as flakes.

About 40 years ago I quietly began to ask around among my Christian friends as to if others had had similar experiences. The feedback made me realise it is a lot more common that one might think.

Upvote 0

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟884,137.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, Jesus appeared to me when I was about 8.

Few are prepared to talk about such experiences as they are usually branded as flakes.

About 40 years ago I quietly began to ask around among my Christian friends as to if others had had similar experiences. The feedback made me realise it is a lot more common that one might think.

What does "branded as flakes" mean? Seen as crazy?

I had a vision some years ago I don't usually mention, for different reasons. As time has gone by I sometimes wonder about it. It's good to know you and others have seen Jesus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,528.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What does "branded as flakes" mean? Seen as crazy?

I had a vision some years ago I don't usually mention, for different reasons. As time has gone by I sometimes wonder about it. It's good to know you and others have seen Jesus.

Yes... seen as crazy.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

It is difficult to see what is spiritual. Paul accomplished much, preaching from Jerusalem to Illyricum; lands east of the Adriatic Sea.

Romans 15:14 (NIV) I myself am convinced, my brothers and sisters, that you yourselves are full of goodness, filled with knowledge and competent to instruct one another. 15 Yet I have written you quite boldly on some points to remind you of them again, because of the grace God gave me 16 to be a minister of Christ Jesus to the Gentiles. He gave me the priestly duty of proclaiming the gospel of God, so that the Gentiles might become an offering acceptable to God, sanctified by the Holy Spirit.

17 Therefore I glory in Christ Jesus in my service to God. 18 I will not venture to speak of anything except what Christ has accomplished through me in leading the Gentiles to obey God by what I have said and done— 19 by the power of signs and wonders, through the power of the Spirit of God. So from Jerusalem all the way around to Illyricum, I have fully proclaimed the gospel of Christ. 20 It has always been my ambition to preach the gospel where Christ was not known, so that I would not be building on someone else’s foundation. 21 Rather, as it is written:

“Those who were not told about him will see,
and those who have not heard will understand.”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private

I think it is valid to say Paul saw him. After all, if any of us in our mortal skin were to see him as he REALLY is, it would undo us, physically and mentally.

John was still mortal... and wrote down the entire Revelation... after being touched by Jesus: "And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. And He laid His right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not..." The Prophets called that being strengthened. John saw the risen and glorified Lord more than once. The second time, Jesus shared bread and fish with them. He'd told them at the last Passover meal, that He would drink wine with them in the Kingdom.

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
John was still mortal... and wrote down the entire Revelation... after being touched by Jesus: "And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. And He laid His right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not..." The Prophets called that being strengthened. John saw the risen and glorified Lord more than once. The second time, Jesus shared bread and fish with them. He'd told them at the last Passover meal, that He would drink wine with them in the Kingdom.
Believe me (I hate it when people say, "believe me" —makes me suspicious right then) when I say I am familiar with the strength God can give. But I'm still pretty sure that even when John saw him, specially as Jesus appeared after his resurrection, he wasn't giving John the full glory. When we are 'remade' and see him as he is for the first time, then we will be able to handle it. I have no doubt God can give strength, but I don't think he will give us what we need to be able to handle the whole picture, until he is our very sustenance and we are changed. We are, after all, talking about the Great I Am, the Creator of all things, without whose will nothing exists. The absolute Purity of his Goodness is a force that cannot be withstood.

Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Believe me (I hate it when people say, "believe me" —makes me suspicious right then) when I say I am familiar with the strength God can give. But I'm still pretty sure that even when John saw him, specially as Jesus appeared after his resurrection, he wasn't giving John the full glory. When we are 'remade' and see him as he is for the first time, then we will be able to handle it. I have no doubt God can give strength, but I don't think he will give us what we need to be able to handle the whole picture, until he is our very sustenance and we are changed. We are, after all, talking about the Great I Am, the Creator of all things, without whose will nothing exists. The absolute Purity of his Goodness is a force that cannot be withstood.

Moses spoke with God. All the Prophets spoke with God. I follow the Gospel of the Kingdom, and don't know anything other than what Jesus showed John. The armies of Heaven are riding with Him on white horses.
I'm not drawn to metaphysical things... but I used to be, so I know what you're talking about. I just don't go there anymore.

• Friendly
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
General curiousity. I also wonder what Paul means by "his gospel". Is that what he got from Jesus at this time, that he was to go to the Gentiles, or did he have later revelations of Jesus.
Some say Paul had an encounter with Jesus later (2 Cor 12) where Paul got the understanding of law and gospel, which I very much doubt.
Some say?

Paul says. . ."to keep me from becoming conceited because of these exceedingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh. . " (2 Corinthians 12:7)
Some put Paul's writings in the center of the NT and read the rest of the NT from their understanding of Paul. I think this can turn out wrong
Not unless their teachings are contradictory. . .it's the same gospel.
Another interesting matter is if Paul saw Jesus after Jesus' ascension, then others might have seen Jesus as well,
"Might" and "did" are two different things.

Last edited:
Upvote 0