• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Did New York fail to protect its citizens?

Discussion in 'General Politics' started by Need answers, Apr 6, 2020.

1. RDKirk

RDKirk Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner Supporter

+11,743
    Christian
    Married
    I'm not playing with semantics, you are.

"Rationing" doesn't mean whatever you happen to want it to mean.

When the government practices rationing, it means something very specific, exactly what I described: Rationing would be explicitly identifying how many items would go to whom at what time increments.

2. Need answers

Need answers Well-Known Member

+715
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I think ration was an acceptable term. But here are some other words. Let me know which one suits the situation in question. Check out definition #2 at the bottom. That sure sounds like what Trump is talking about.

ra·tion

1) allow each person to have only a fixed amount of (a particular commodity).

Similar:
    control
    limit (to a fixed amount)
    restrict (the consumption of)
    conserve
    budget
    distribute
    share out
    measure out
    divide out/up
    apportion
    give out
    deal out
    issue
    allocate
    allot
    dispense
    hand out
    pass out
    dole out
    parcel out
    admeasure

2)allow someone to have only (a fixed amount of a certain commodity)

3. RDKirk

+11,743
    Christian
    Married
    You went to definition #2, didn't you?

Hoisted by your own petard.

4. Need answers

+715
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Could you clarify this? Thanks.

5. hedrick

hedrick Senior Veteran Supporter

+6,097
    Presbyterian
    Single
    Not sure what you mean by doom and gloom. Predictions without distancing were 1 million deaths. But we're doing it. Predictions are now on the order of 100,000, hopefully a bit less. I think it's pretty unlikely that we'll get the original large number.

The more difficult question is what happens after we come down from the peaks. Does it just go away? Probably not. What do we do, and what are the consequences?

6. RDKirk

+11,743
    Christian
    Married
    That's what I've been talking about. The curve only stays flat as long as we continue sheltering-in-place. The virus is still out there. It will be out there on the first of May just as it was on the first of February. The moment activity goes back to "normal," the infection rate can go exponential again. There might be some respite during the summer, if this virus turns out to be dampened by summers, but it will come roaring back again in the fall.

The experts aren't explicitly saying that shelter-in-place needs to be the new normal until a vaccine is available. It will interesting to see how they break that news to the public on April 30.

7. Need answers

+715
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    The doom and gloom are the projections you just referred to, as well as shortages in medical supplies.