Did mind–body dualism exist before original sin?

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟794,018.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why do you think a Dragon gives authority to the Beast in the Book of Revelations?
*The Book of Revelation.

Do you have selective reading skills? I said "as long as they believe in Jesus"?

I was simply wondering how this was news?

Seemed to me you were saying that this was only temporary....

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟461,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Do you not see this as duality? Satan uses this idea of duality for false religions in this reality of the fallen. There isn't going to be a balance after this is over.

Its not dualism in a religious context because wave-particle duality is intrinsic to the functioning of God’s creation.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟203,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Not seeing the connection here.

If physicality was an inherently sinful state of being and what we were really meant to be was disembodied spirits, we wouldn't have a physical resurrection.
God wants us to be physical beings, that was always His intent for us, so that is what we will resurrect as, and we will live on a physical world, because that is God's plan for us, and has always been the plan. To live in family and community with His image bearers that bring Him glory. As physical beings with physical bodies in a physical reality. These things are also all spiritual as well. It's a marriage of physical and spiritual in a perfected eternal state.

I agree. God Loves the World as it is right now. (John 3:16)
We are to Love what God Loves.
Everything reflects Him. Right now it reflects Him as through a broken fogged up mirror.
In eternity it will all reflect Him clearly.
Like say if God gives you a puppy.
You will love and cherish that puppy because every time you see it, you will know that God has made that puppy and that puppy shows His loyalty, and unconditional love, His kindness, and I imagine, His playfulness. Every time you interact with that puppy you will think of Jesus. Everything you like about this puppy will be a reflection of Jesus. You will appreciate it because of Jesus and that it was a gift to you from Him.

Will we retain any wounds we may have received in Death "Like Christ's Body" did? Or will our resurrected bodies be in superior physical condition to Christ's?

Not sure but I think we won't have those scars. Otherwise if a person got a limb amputated do they just go through eternity an amputee?
I don't think so. I sure hope that the wear and tear on our bodies is not carried over.. I'd hate to be a cripple on the new earth forever.

I think Jesus kept the marks of His wounds as a reminder of what He did for us, and what He went through to save us.
However in Revelation John's description of Him in chapter 1 doesn't mention such wounds, so maybe the marks were just there to prove it was Him. But I mean, He's God so He can be in whatever physical condition He wants and it doesn't impede His ability to do anything.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟303,917.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Do you think we are going to have a physical body in heaven?
People have trouble identifying themselves without the vessel they are in. Ask a person who they are and they will usually tell you their profession or life status rather than who they are.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟203,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Do you think we are going to have a physical body in heaven?

The current heaven is not our eternal home.
It is an intermediate state of soul and spirit separated from body.

The eternal state is a physical body on a physical new earth. It is both physical and spiritual.
That is what is taught in the bible.

Being separated from our body after death is an unnatural, unintended state for us. It's not God's plan.
Jesus describes the eternal state as a wedding, and a banquet. Jesus promises to drink wine with His disciples in His father's kingdom. Jesus promises that we'll sit down and eat meals with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.
If eating and drinking are part of the perfected and eternal state, then so is physical nature.
Right now the physical universe is under a curse. We don't have any experience with what it is like WITHOUT a curse.
Right now our DNA is programmed to die through telomere shortening, and all the universe is likewise, programmed to die through entropy.
That's undeniable evidence of the curse put on this reality.
But in the eternal state? That curse doesn't exist.

• Agree
Reactions: coffee4u
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟203,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
The fall put us in this physical place ..why would we have the original sin in Heaven? Why would the choice be right there when Jesus already dealt with it for us?
alright, look buddy

the original sin involved EATING
They were also NAKED
that means before Adam and Eve sinned, they had bodies, before the fall, and were capable of eating.

You have this esoteric gnostic spiritualism worldview..

but that's not biblical.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟320,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0