• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Did Luther believe in soul sleep?

Discussion in 'LCMS / WELS / ELS / LCC' started by Ann77, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Ann77

Ann77 Member

+45
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I just saw someone bring up a quote from Luther on Ecclesiastes. It kind of gave off the impression he believed in soul sleep.:scratch:

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. TenthAveN

TenthAveN New Member

+69
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    I just read an article about it (which we can’t know for sure is accurate), and it does seem like Luther believed in soul sleep.

3. Pavel Mosko

Pavel Mosko Arch-Dude of the Apostolic Supporter

+1,602
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    Based on my adolescent Lutheran Catechism class etc. was going to say no, but this article has some good info.

Martin Luther's Views on Conditionalism and Soul Sleep

But Lutheranism in general does not teach soul sleep otherwise it would have been made a formal article and taught as part of the large Catechism. (Basically Luther does seem to consider this sort of thing in passing when studying the Bible but not dogmatically teaching it)

What happens to the soul after it dies?
    The soul of the unbeliever goes to torment. The soul of the believer goes to eternal bliss.

Luke 23:43– And he said to him, “Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise.”

2 Corinthians 5:8– Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord.

Philippians 1:23– I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better.

Luke 16:19-31– “There was a rich man who was clothed in purple and fine linen and who feasted sumptuously every day. And at his gate was laid a poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores, who desired to be fed with what fell from the rich man’s table. Moreover, even the dogs came and licked his sores. The poor man died and was carried by the angels to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried, and in Hades, being in torment, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side. And he called out, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus to dip the end of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am in anguish in this flame.’ But Abraham said, ‘Child, remember that you in your lifetime received your good things, and Lazarus in like manner bad things; but now he is comforted here, and you are in anguish. And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, in order that those who would pass from here to you may not be able, and none may cross from there to us.’ And he said, ‘Then I beg you, father, to send him to my father’s house– for I have five brothers–so that he may warn them, lest they also come into this place of torment.’ But Abraham said, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them hear them.’ And he said, ‘No, father Abraham, but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent.’ He said to him, ‘If they do not hear Moses and the Prophets, neither will they be convinced if someone should rise from the dead.'”

A Catechism on Death, Life, and the Resurrection - World Wide Wolfmueller

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  4. Cshuffle777

Cshuffle777 Member

+64
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
    These things He said, and after that He said to them, “Our friend Lazarus sleeps, but I go that I may wake him up.” (John 11:11)

5. Original Happy Camper

Original Happy Camper One of GODS Children I am a historicist Supporter

+1,166
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    google this "martin Luther on soul sleep"

Archdeacon Francis Blackburne states in his Short Historical View of the Controversy Concerning an Intermediate State, of 1765:

Luther espoused the doctrine of the sleep of the soul, upon a Scripture foundation, and then he made use of it as a confutation of purgatory and saint worship, and continued in that belief to the last moment of his life.' 5

In support, Blackburne has an extended Appendix section dealing with Luther's teaching as set forth in his writings, and discusses the charges and countercharges.

The Lutheran scholar Dr. T. A. Kantonen (The Christian Hope, 1594, p. 37), likewise referred to Luther's position in these words:

Luther, with a greater emphasis on the resurrection, preferred to concentrate on the scriptural metaphor of sleep. For just as one who falls asleep and reaches morning unexpectedly when he awakes, without knowing what has happened to him, we shall suddenly rise on the last day without knowing how we have come into death and through death. 'We shall sleep, until He comes and knocks on the little grave and says, ‚Doctor Martin, get up! Then I shall rise in a moment, and be with him forever.'

https://www.truthaccordingtoscripture.com/documents/death/luther-tyndale.php

6. Original Happy Camper

+1,166
    United States
    SDA
    Married

Here is a web site that explains from the bible soul sleep which is a doctrine of the Seventh day Adventists

https://amazingdiscoveries.org/S-deception_death_soul_doctrine

7. Ann77

Ann77 Member

+45
    United States
    Christian
    Private
  8. Daniel9v9

Daniel9v9

+873
    Japan
    Lutheran
    Married
    The writings of Luther are sometimes prone to confusion - similar to the early Church Fathers, he can be loose and undogmatic in his expressions - but our Confessions are very precise, and what Pavel says above is quite right, the Lutheran Church rejects soul sleep.

9. Cshuffle777

Cshuffle777 Member

+64
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
    The reformers were human like us and found themselves faced with decisions to make. It usually came down to going on being wrong or going on being honest. Liberty of conscience was tenaciously guarded. In short, they were forced by their consciences to change their positions on occasion.

10. Cshuffle777

Cshuffle777 Member

+64
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
  11. Ann77

Ann77 Member

+45
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    To me, this wasn't very subtle. This person is SDA posting about his church's view on soul sleep. I would like to keep the comments on topic.

12. Cshuffle777

Cshuffle777 Member

+64
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
    It was sarcasm. Sorry.

13. Ann77

Ann77 Member

+45
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Ah! lol. No need to apologise.

14. Original Happy Camper

+1,166
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    in the link I posted is this statement from Luther which is on topic

"Martin Luther puts it this way:

We should learn to view our death in the right light, so that we need not become alarmed on account of it, as unbelief does; because in Christ it is indeed not death, but a fine, sweet and brief sleep, which brings us release from this vale of tears, from sin and from the fear and extremity of real death and from all the misfortunes of this life, and we shall be secure and without care, rest sweetly and gently for a brief moment, as on a sofa, until the time when He shall awaken us together with all His dear children to His eternal glory and joy...For since we call it a sleep, we know that we shall not remain in it, but be again awakened and live, and that the time during which we sleep, shall seem no longer than if we had just fallen asleep... Hence we shall censure ourselves that we were surprised or alarmed at such a sleep in the hour of death, and suddenly come alive out of the grave and from decomposition, and entirely well, fresh, with a pure, clear, glorified life, meet our Lord and savior Jesus Christ in the clouds...Scripture everywhere affords such consolation, which speaks of the death of the saints, as if they fell asleep and were gathered to their fathers, that is had overcome death through this faith and comfort in Christ, and awaited the resurrection, together with the saints who preceeded them in death.i"

https://amazingdiscoveries.org/S-deception_death_soul_doctrine

Non SDA Site for the same statement above
    Martin Luther and William Tyndale on the State of the Dead

The SDA follow many of Luther's teaching from the Bible.

Why do Lutherans not follow the teaching of their namesake?

15. Original Happy Camper

+1,166
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    Apology accepted

16. Original Happy Camper

+1,166
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    I posted Martin Luther's view on soul sleep which the SDA accept as Biblical

17. Ann77

Ann77 Member

+45
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    That's fine. I didn't post my question to get into the debate of whether soul sleep is biblical or talk about the Seventh-day Adventist church. I posted my question because I wanted to know if this was a firmly held belief of Luther.

And yes the link included a quote from Luther in the SDA article about soul sleep but that quote doesn't seem to be the reason why you pasted it here since you wrote:

"Here is a web site that explains from the bible soul sleep which is a doctrine of the Seventh day Adventists"

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  18. Cshuffle777

Cshuffle777 Member

+64
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
    I was apologizing to the OP.

19. Cshuffle777

Cshuffle777 Member

+64
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
    Why would they handcuff themselves to a mere mortal man, however sincere he was?

20. Original Happy Camper

+1,166
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    It was a doctrine of Martin Luther till he died according to history

you are mistaken about my reasoning.