LDS Did Joseph Smith and the 1830 BOM plagairize the 1823 book "View of the Hebrews"?

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The idea that God would be "alone" is also absurd. A tru concept of God means He is not dependent or in need of anything. Everything God needs is within Himself and contents Himself.

Do you think perhaps what God our Heavenly Father might need to be loved just as much as we do, do ya think maybe he finds joy as we reach our full potential as "Children of the Most High" Ps 82. I think he's beyond worrying about dependence, real joy comes from being interdependent with those we love, our families.

Upvote 0

stage five

Skeptic
Dec 22, 2015
USA
✟2,137.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Hello Stage Five, and welcome to this sub-forum.

This sub-forum has special rules, which include being respectful of other faiths and forbids calling them disrespectful terms like "silly". Here's a link to the rules: http://www.christianforums.com/thre...ligions-statement-of-purpose-updated.7917311/. Please remember to be Christ-like in your dealings with fellow men.

Accusing me of breaking rules is against the rules.

Now, in regards to your post (the one and others), I can tell that you've been told many things which are not actual LDS beliefs, but a fun-house-mirror version of them. There's no shame in having encountered bad information: sometimes people innocently misunderstand things, and sometimes (unfortunately) people deliberately distribute distorted information to mock another person's beliefs. Would you be interested in learning what Mormons actually believe?

I am quite familiar with Mormonism. I imagine that there all kinds of efforts to white wash, white and delightsomely, Mormon teaching and scripture?

I'd hate to end up with black, err... egg on my face for being wrong.

In all seriousness, threads debating Mormonism are pointless. There are a number of ex-Mormon support groups - for a reason.

Upvote 0

stage five

Skeptic
Dec 22, 2015
USA
✟2,137.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Do you think perhaps what God our Heavenly Father might need to be loved just as much as we do,

No, because that compromises God being God. That would mean God would necessitate another being of God's creation. God does not need anyone. He does not need your love, your prayer, or your devotion. God is complete in Himself.

do ya think maybe he finds joy as we reach our full potential as "Children of the Most High" Ps 82. I think he's beyond worrying about dependence, real joy comes from being interdependent with those we love, our families.

God only experiences human emotions in His humanity as Jesus Christ. God is not a human being and never was.

Upvote 0

stage five

Skeptic
Dec 22, 2015
USA
✟2,137.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
If the think that threads debating Mormonism are pointless, may I ask why you are on one?

Those interested in having an open mind and willing to deepen their faith beyond the mythologies of neo-paganism, revived pagan cults, and masqueraded traditional Christianity?

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Those interested in having an open mind and willing to deepen their faith beyond the mythologies of neo-paganism, revived pagan cults, and masqueraded traditional Christianity?

So you are here to Evangelize "lost" Mormons?

Could you explain these verses to me then-- "Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal... Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up," (1 Cor 13:1, 4).

How do these verses relate to your life and your actions here?

Upvote 0

stage five

Skeptic
Dec 22, 2015
USA
✟2,137.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
So you are here to Evangelize "lost" Mormons?

Not particularly.

Could you explain this verse to me then-- "Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal." (1 Cor 13:1). How does this verse relate to your life and your actions here?

In what context? Historical/Cultural/Narrative criticism?
What you are getting at is that I am not "charitable" for respecting your beliefs. Mormonism is a successful cult, that's about all there is to it. I understand Mormonism is really important to a lot of people and I would never want to personally attack the integrity of an adherent. However, one reaches the points when they discover the truth of their faith and its mythologies.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
In what context? Historical/Cultural/Narrative criticism?
What you are getting at is that I am not "charitable" for respecting your beliefs. Mormonism is a successful cult, that's about all there is to it. I understand Mormonism is really important to a lot of people and I would never want to personally attack the integrity of an adherent. However, one reaches the points when they discover the truth of their faith and its mythologies.

My point was, according to the Bible, uncharitable words are simply sounding brass: they will never bring a person to Christ, but instead only antagonize them. Your words/attitude/actions here are, frankly, incredibly disrespectful and serving only to drive people away from Christ. Is that your desired result?

Upvote 0

tickingclocker

Mar 11, 2016
US
✟22,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I would like to know who you are accusing of not being loving[/QUOTE]

I wasn't replying to you. I was replying to the original questioner.

<...no archaeological evidence of "reformed egyptian", the land of moron...>

It was no typo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tickingclocker

Mar 11, 2016
US
✟22,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I will go back later tonight and see if I can find the link about the DNA studies on native americans. It was proven scientifically that they did not have any Hebrew DNA/genes.

What is the more critical evidence, is neither the Jews nor any tribe of Native American Indians have ever believed mormonism's claims. That kind of sunk their already deflating ball with me when that fact finally hit me like a ton of bricks. Why didn't I see this long ago? Two ancient cultures, and neither still doesn't recognize the tale--even as a myth? Very telling.

Keep praying for mormons to blessed of God in seeing Him as He IS, not as they are taught to view Him.

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
<.... no archaeological evidence of "reformed egyptian", the land of moron....>

Taken from the original question, under the chart. Not nice.

I didn't see that, aught to read more closely.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
If you are a mainstream Mormon you will find a way to avoid answering. That's cool.

And you want me to take your faith seriously? What you really believe is not only absurd but completely offensive to most Christians.
Whether any Mormon and mainstream Christian listens to you is entirely up to you:

If you aes willing to have a mature respectful conversation where both parties listen to each other, then people will listen to you.

On the other hand, If you choose the be disrespectful, constantly misconstrue people's belief, deflect, and totally disregard 1 Cor 13... Well, just about everyone has better things to do than have someone take uneducated pot shots at thier beliefs.

Which path do you choose?

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
This is a discussion. About a concept and topic.

There is no need to be rude to them.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
What is the more critical evidence, is neither the Jews nor any tribe of Native American Indians have ever believed mormonism's claims.

Not entirely true.

The church saw considerable success among Native American groups practically from the beginning, both because the church members treated them far better than other whites and because many Native Americans saw the church's theology as a fulfillment of their own beliefs.

Furthermore, The History Channel's H2 network here in the United States did a two-hour special a few years back talking about people who may have come to the Americas. During the section talking about possible Hebrew settlement, they noted two Native American tribes who believed that they had Hebrew origins without any reference to LDS teachings. One tribe's DNA tests did not bear this out, but the second tribe had not finished gathering all of their samples before filming finished and so testing wasn't done in time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

stage five

Skeptic
Dec 22, 2015
USA
✟2,137.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
My point was, according to the Bible, uncharitable words are simply sounding brass: they will never bring a person to Christ, but instead only antagonize them. Your words/attitude/actions here are, frankly, incredibly disrespectful and serving only to drive people away from Christ. Is that your desired result?

Do you mean Mormon Jesus? I don't feel I have been disrespectful. I think what people have issues with is when you do not validate what they say. When you do not say "Well, it's all opinions."

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Do you mean Mormon Jesus?
The sections I quoted from are 1 Corinthians. The Bible.

I don't feel I have been disrespectful.

Let's say I made un-based claims, distorted your beloved views into a hideous picture, had no interest in the the truth, and called you "silly", "pagan", etc. Would you find that disrespectful? I do.

I think what people have issues with is when you do not validate what they say.

By "validate" do you mean actually respond to comments and have a two-way conversation? Yes, I do like that, it's fundamental adult conversation.

When you do not say "Well, it's all opinions."

Post #?? Or are you making a false claim?

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, because that compromises God being God. That would mean God would necessitate another being of God's creation. God does not need anyone. He does not need your love, your prayer, or your devotion. God is complete in Himself.

God only experiences human emotions in His humanity as Jesus Christ. God is not a human being and never was.

You have a very cold sounding God, we have a family man

Sounds like a very cold God, we worship a family man

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Sounds like a very cold God, we worship a family man
'
That is sort of the problem isn't it??---
We do not worship a family man----not even Jesus is a family man now. We worship a family loving GOD. Who never, ever was a man before becoming God. Jesus was never human before becoming God. They were always God. Jesus became a man-
God came down to us, we do not become God.

Upvote 0