Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
John the Baptist received the Holy Spirit in the womb, thus he was literally born again before he was even born. 1 John 3:9 says that those who have the seed (Holy Spirit) do not (willfully) sin, so did John the Baptist ever willfully sin?

Another question regarding John the Baptist. Jesus said that there was none greater than John the Baptist, but the least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than John. Seeing as John had the Holy Spirit, what was Jesus meaning?

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
John the Baptist received the Holy Spirit in the womb, thus he was literally born again before he was even born. 1 John 3:9 says that those who have the seed (Holy Spirit) do not (willfully) sin, so did John the Baptist ever willfully sin?
Maybe.
Another question regarding John the Baptist. Jesus said that there was none greater than John the Baptist, but the least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than John. Seeing as John had the Holy Spirit, what was Jesus meaning?
Jesus meant exactly what He said, as He spoke the Father's Word and not even His own it is more sure.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
We know that under pressure while he was in prison, John had doubts and wanted reassurance that Jesus was the Christ, So we see that even though he had the Holy Spirit, He was still human and needed God's grace just as we do. So did he sin? I am certain he did at times, Just as we all do :]

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

Yes.

John was the greatest prophet and the end of the prophetic age. But the least one in the kingdom (gospel age) is a greater prophet than John.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,603.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

These are good questions, but, I don't think anyone here is able to answer them.m We can speculate the answer. We can give our opinions, but you know what they say about opinions. Now, imho, John the Baptist was not born sinless for only the Lord Jesus was born sinless( without the sin nature). I don't know whether John the Baptist actually committed any sin,the Bible does not say. If he sinned, I doubt if it was willful. We really don't know much about John the Baptist. He presents himself like one of the OT prophets an he points to and announces the Lamb of God. He announces the Kingdom of God. I would guess that Lord Jesus said John was the greatest because at that time, John the Baptist was the only living person(besides The Lord Himself) who knew who that the Kingdom of Heaven was at hand, and he also knew that Lord Jesus was the Lamb of God who would take away the sin of the world.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

In one of the apocryphal gospels, i forget which, Jesus said of the old testament prophets that even though they had the Spirit with them, "even a word of sin was found in them". As an "old testament prophet" I see no reason why that shouldn't apply to John also.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟884,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Perhaps because JTB was a prophet and had received revelations from God he is not deemed in as high of regard as a person who believes without seeing proof. I believe there is a scripture that says blessed is he who believes who has seen but even more blessed is he who believes without seeing. I’m sorry I can’t search for the actual verse right now. This is just a possibility I think.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,603.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps because JTB was a prophet and had received revelations from God he is not deemed in as high of regard as a person who believes without seeing proof. I believe there is a scripture that says blessed is he who believes who has seen but even more blessed is he who believes without seeing. I’m sorry I can’t search for the actual verse right now. This is just a possibility I think.
John 20:29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

We do not drop onto God's lap when we are born.
Instead, we are born into a sin condition where God
does not reside. If not in constant communion with
God, then we are in sin no matter our best intentions.
But while we were still sinners, God sent His son for us.

John had the Holy Spirit early and so knew he was a sinner
before the rest of us. So he started sinning even sooner than 'the rest
because judgment follows the law.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
We know that under pressure while he was in prison, John had doubts and wanted reassurance that Jesus was the Christ, So we see that even though he had the Holy Spirit, He was still human and needed God's grace just as we do. So did he sin? I am certain he did at times, Just as we all do :]

Even Jesus? He was human, but also with the seed of the Father from conception. How much of the seed of the Father do we need to keep us from sinning? 1 John 3:9

Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

everybody but Jesus sinned

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
These are good questions, but, I don't think anyone here is able to answer them.m We can speculate the answer. We can give our opinions, but you know what they say about opinions. Now, imho, John the Baptist was not born sinless for only the Lord Jesus was born sinless( without the sin nature). I don't know whether John the Baptist actually committed any sin,the Bible does not say. If he sinned, I doubt if it was willful. We really don't know much about John the Baptist. He presents himself like one of the OT prophets an he points to and announces the Lamb of God. He announces the Kingdom of God. I would guess that Lord Jesus said John was the greatest because at that time, John the Baptist was the only living person(besides The Lord Himself) who knew who that the Kingdom of Heaven was at hand, and he also knew that Lord Jesus was the Lamb of God who would take away the sin of the world.

I know we say Jesus was born "without a sin nature," even though Mary would have had one, but does the Bible actually state that? Why would He need to be tempted in all things, yet not succumb to them, if he couldn't willfully sin? Don't get me wrong, I don't believe He had one either, so I agree, but that is only because of 1 John 3:9 which He had from conception, but would apply to John the Baptist also because he had the same seed before he was born and even had the chance to commit his first sin.

This is also why the baptism of the Holy Spirit is so important for us who would have sinned from birth before the baptism. When we repent of those sins we committed, Jesus places the seed of God in us, so we don't have to sin anymore - just like Him. That is what happened to me - sin didn't call to me anymore; in fact, my desire to sin changed overnight to an avoidance of sin, not always running toward it. That aspect never left in 41 years! When Paul says in Romans 6:2 we are dead to sin, I believe that is the killing of the sin nature that produces sin. We are new creatures in Christ - literally. This is for the righteous requirements of the laws of God. Now, the laws of the Spirit of life in Christ, has freed me from the law of sin and death. Jesus took away my sin nature. Could I willfully sin? Yes. Do I want to? No, so it is easy to not sin.

Now, what's hard is to not commit unintentional trespasses (Leviticus 5:15), having to do with immature fruit of the Spirit which grows out of this new nature. Yes, they are "sins," but not sins unto death. The Corinthians were guilty of immature fruit, but Paul didn't tell them to excommunicate any of those, but only the young man sleeping with his stepmother. It is willful sins, rebellion against God's laws, that are sins unto death. The young man is lucky he wasn't living in OT times, but was given time to repent, and did. Numbers 15:32-36 shows this type of sin. The subject was the Sabbath, but they were commanded to do the same if two people were caught in adultery. Willful sins were punished with death.

Some believe that the "sin unto death" is total disbelief in God/apostacy, but I know enough about how God viewed sin in the Old Testament to know that willful, presumptuous sins were punishable by death, so I believe we can't be that apathetic toward willful sin to think we are safe from the wages of willful sin as long as we believe in God/Jesus. After all, belief is in the heart, so is committing willful sin still true belief? 1 Peter 2:7 shows that the opposite of belief is disobedience. That is why there are denominations I would run from, not to as many do. They seem to have itching ears and run to denominations that teach easy grace, having your cake and eat it too type of mentality toward the gospel. In fact, I am not a denominationalist at all, as I've found this apathy even in Pentecostal churches - the most on fire churches, except, maybe, holiness Pentecostal churches that even I believe weigh themselves down with man-made "sins." But I could be wrong.

• Informative
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
John had the Holy Spirit early and so knew he was a sinner
before the rest of us. So he started sinning even sooner than 'the rest
because judgment follows the law.

You are confusing the LAW with the SPIRIT. It is the LAW that gives us a knowledge of Sin. We are freed from producing sin we committed under the law, when we receive the SPIRIT.The Spirit takes away the sin nature to want to commit sin. That is why we are dead to sin. That wouldn't be true if we still had the sin nature.

Can we CHOOSE to resurrect the sin nature? Yes. Do we have to in this lifetime, just because our body of flesh is still decaying? No. When Paul talks of the "flesh," we need to differentiate between the nature and the body.

We do not drop onto God's lap when we are born.
Instead, we are born into a sin condition where God
does not reside. If not in constant communion with
God, then we are in sin no matter our best intentions.
But while we were still sinners, God sent His son for us.

Yes, you have adequately described all humans (except Jesus and John the Baptist) since Adam sinned BEFORE accepting Christ and receiving the Holy Spirit. AFTER Christ we go from sinner to saint.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

But questions are not willful sins. There are two types of sins. Willful and unintentional trespasses. (Sins unto death, and sins NOT unto death)

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Isnt 1 John 3:9 referring to all mankind, not John in particular?

1 John 3:9 is not all mankind, because not everyone has accepted Christ. And John is only one out of everyone who has since received the Holy Spirit. The point is the SEED OF GOD. Jesus was conceived with it. John received it in the womb. And Christians receive it after repentance and conversion. The Seed of God is given during the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, and gives us power to not willfully sin. He was not given just for gifts, but to destroy the works of the devil, namely sin. 1 John 3:5-9

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
But questions are not willful sins. There are two types of sins. Willful and unintentional trespasses. (Sins unto death, and sins NOT unto death)
doubt is sin. We are told not to doubt.

Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0