Did Jesus's disciples baptise in Genessaret?

eider

Jun 25, 2017
canterbury
✟16,982.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
It seems clear that Jesus did not approve of the greed, corruption and hypocrisy of the priesthood, nor did he support the practice of making sacrifice in the Great Temple.

He mentioned this a few times, as in
{9:13} But go ye and learn what [that] meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

John mentions that Jesus and/or His disciples were baptising along the Jordan, as in:
John 3:22-23 "After this Jesus and his disciples went into the region of Judea, where he spent some time with them baptizing. John was also baptizing in Aenon near Salim.
John 4:1-3 "Now when Jesus learned that the Pharisees had heard that Jesus was making and baptizing more disciples than John (although Jesus himself was not baptizing, just his disciples), he left Judea and returned to Galilee."

I feel sure that I have read or heard that Jesus once baptised some people in Jerusalem, but cannot find such passage now..... can anyone help with that?

But the big question is this: All those thousands collecting on the Genessaret shores, we the disciples baptising them, just as they had along the Jordan river?

I just wonder about these things, is all.

-V-

Sep 16, 2016
USA
✟38,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I feel sure that I have read or heard that Jesus once baptised some people in Jerusalem, but cannot find such passage now..... can anyone help with that?
No, that's not in the Bible. The Bible isn't specifically clear whether or not Jesus ever baptized anyone, but seems to indicate that He did not.

It's only mentioned in the two passages you already cited. While John 3:22 sounds like He did, the passage in John 4 appears to clarify that Jesus only had a supervisory role in it and didn't actually baptize anyone Himself.

But the big question is this: All those thousands collecting on the Genessaret shores, we the disciples baptising them, just as they had along the Jordan river?
It'll have to remain a question. It's possible, but the Bible simply doesn't say.

Upvote 0

Anto9us

Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
(although Jesus himself was not baptizing, just his disciples)

the KJV has it "but Jesus baptized not, but his disciples" the English leaving it unclear whether Jesus

1. baptized just His disciples
or
2. His disciples were doing the baptizing

I believe many Greek scholars have pointed out reasons, grammatically, that it was the disciples doing the baptizing

Which fits, for Jesus was to later baptize in a special way with Holy Ghost and with Fire, but not while He was humanly here

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
It seems clear that Jesus did not approve of the greed, corruption and hypocrisy of the priesthood, nor did he support the practice of making sacrifice in the Great Temple.

He believed that the Temple was the correct spot, over and against the Samaritan claim to the contrary; though He is clear that "the time is coming" when this or that mountain won't matter.

Jesus' problem with the Temple system wasn't what had been ordained by God in times past; but the way it had been corrupted and abused, that what was a house of prayer had been transformed into a den of thieves through abuses and corruption, especially that of the money-changers. It wasn't the Temple, the priesthood, or the sacrifices that were the problem; it was that what was holy and good was being misused to oppress the poor and the disenfranchised.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

eider

Jun 25, 2017
canterbury
✟16,982.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
He believed that the Temple was the correct spot, over and against the Samaritan claim to the contrary; though He is clear that "the time is coming" when this or that mountain won't matter.
Hello......
do you have a verse to show the Jesus thought the Temple was in the correct place?

Jesus' problem with the Temple system wasn't what had been ordained by God in times past; but the way it had been corrupted and abused, that what was a house of prayer had been transformed into a den of thieves through abuses and corruption, especially that of the money-changers. It wasn't the Temple, the priesthood, or the sacrifices that were the problem; it was that what was holy and good was being misused to oppress the poor and the disenfranchised.
Yes..... even the Temple coinage showed the head of Baal on the obverse.... the priests didn't care as long as they received their money. Look up 'Tyrian Shekel' and you will see that Caesar's insignia is on the reverse in Greek abbreviation 'KP' or 'KAP' (after 19BC) and with baal on the obverse.
Oh yes, the priesthood was utterly corrupted, and I believe that this is why JtB's and Jesus's disciples were baptising in the Jordan as a way of offering confession and remission of sins, thus cutting the whole Temple procedure out. And I often wondered whether Jesus's disciples were baptising those those thousands in Genessaret lake?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Hello......
do you have a verse to show the Jesus thought the Temple was in the correct place?

"The woman said to Him ...'Our ancestors worshiped on this mountain, but you say that the place where people must worship is in Jerusalem.' Jesus said to her, 'Woman, believe me, the hour is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, for salvation is from the Jews. But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father seeks such as these to worship him. God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.'" - John 4:20-24

In saying "You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, for salvation is from the Jews." Jesus is saying that the Jewish position is correct; however ultimately that won't matter.

Yes..... even the Temple coinage showed the head of Baal on the obverse.... the priests didn't care as long as they received their money. Look up 'Tyrian Shekel' and you will see that Caesar's insignia is on the reverse in Greek abbreviation 'KP' or 'KAP' (after 19BC) and with baal on the obverse.
Oh yes, the priesthood was utterly corrupted, and I believe that this is why JtB's and Jesus's disciples were baptising in the Jordan as a way of offering confession and remission of sins, thus cutting the whole Temple procedure out. And I often wondered whether Jesus's disciples were baptising those those thousands in Genessaret lake?

After the closing of the Tyrian mint, the Romans only permitted the Jews to continue to mint the Tyrian Shekel if they continued to use the same images--this was a way for Rome to continue to express its own control over the Jews. As soon as the Great Revolt broke out, coins were minted without the image of Melqart-Herakles:

Half_Shekel.jpg

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

eider

Jun 25, 2017
canterbury
✟16,982.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
"The woman said to Him ...'Our ancestors worshiped on this mountain, but you say that the place where people must worship is in Jerusalem.' Jesus said to her, 'Woman, believe me, the hour is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, for salvation is from the Jews. But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father seeks such as these to worship him. God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.'" - John 4:20-24

In saying "You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, for salvation is from the Jews." Jesus is saying that the Jewish position is correct; however ultimately that won't matter.
I have taken that into my files..... thankyou.

After the closing of the Tyrian mint, the Romans only permitted the Jews to continue to mint the Tyrian Shekel if they continued to use the same images--this was a way for Rome to continue to express its own control over the Jews. As soon as the Great Revolt broke out, coins were minted without the image of Melqart-Herakles:
Exactly so..... Megarth-Heracles was known to the Jews as Baal. When the Tyrian moved to Jerusalem in 19BC the quality of the coins diminshed and mistrikes were the norm, but the silver purity and weight were consistent so the Romans, Herod tG, and the priesthood cared not at all. I did not have an image of the coins struck during thre revolt, and so will copy that into my files. But my studies cease circa 30AD.

A very helpful post. Thankyou.

Half_Shekel.jpg

-CryptoLutheran[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0