Did Jesus tell us to follow Moses 10 commandments?

ronandcarol

Mar 9, 2014
✟27,889.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, Matthew 5:17-20
17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

ronandcarol

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jesus did not tell us anything directly. Unless you are Jewish of course.

He said: “I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.” Matthew 15:24

That means He left it up to his disciples to determine.

Matthew 16:19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you bind [forbid] on earth shall have been bound in heaven, and whatever you loose [permit] on earth shall have been loosed in heaven.”

Go read Acts 15.

Reactions: YouAreAwesome
Upvote 0

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but.

Yes, but he also said to follow *all* of the Old Testament law, which is silly (because it contains both absurd laws, like "one can't wear blended clothing", or "a woman accused of adultery must be forced to drink muddy water"), as well as harmful laws (like "a child who talks back to their parents must be killed" or "homosexuals must be killed", or "you must kill anyone who invites you to an interfaith memorial service").

Jesus said:
Until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. Mt 5:18​

So we are left with finding creative ways to make sense of that and similar verses. I think it's best to just be good people, regardless of what a literal reading of a Bible says.

In Christ-

Papias

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Did Jesus tell us to follow the Ten Commandments?
He did. In Mt 19, Jesus says, "If you would enter life, keep the commandments." And then Jesus starts to list the Ten Commandments when the rich man interrupts him saying, "All these I have observed; what do I still lack?". The interruption is more pronounced in Mk 10 and Lk 18. And in Jn 14, Jesus says, "If you love me, you will keep my commandments."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Andrewofthetribe

Sep 12, 2016
Oxford
✟24,758.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Yes, Matthew 5:17-20
17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

ronandcarol

Thanks for your reply, was Moses a prophet ?

Upvote 0

Andrewofthetribe

Sep 12, 2016
Oxford
✟24,758.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
He did. In Mt 19, Jesus says, "If you would enter life, keep the commandments." And then Jesus starts to list the Ten Commandments when the rich man interrupts him saying, "All these I have observed; what do I still lack?". The interruption is more pronounced in Mk 10 and Lk 18. And in Jn 14, Jesus says, "If you love me, you will keep my commandments."
Thanks what were his commandments?sorry jesus Commandments?

Upvote 0

Andrewofthetribe

Sep 12, 2016
Oxford
✟24,758.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Yes, but.

Yes, but he also said to follow *all* of the Old Testament law, which is silly (because it contains both absurd laws, like "one can't wear blended clothing", or "a woman accused of adultery must be forced to drink muddy water"), as well as harmful laws (like "a child who talks back to their parents must be killed" or "homosexuals must be killed", or "you must kill anyone who invites you to an interfaith memorial service").

Jesus said:
Until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. Mt 5:18​

So we are left with finding creative ways to make sense of that and similar verses. I think it's best to just be good people, regardless of what a literal reading of a Bible says.

In Christ-

Papias
We're the people around him under Jewish law? I always thought they were under roman law at that time.

Upvote 0

Andrewofthetribe

Sep 12, 2016
Oxford
✟24,758.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

He said: “I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.” Matthew 15:24

Matthew 16:19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you bind [forbid] on earth shall have been bound in heaven, and whatever you loose [permit] on earth shall have been loosed in heaven.”

Go read Acts 15.
Does that mean he had received the keys of the kingdom then and he had authority to choose the laws?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Does that mean he had received the keys of the kingdom then and he had authority to choose the laws?
As creator and LORD, HE always had the keys. In Matt 16 he gives those same keys over to Peter and the other disciples.

If you understand the religious verbiage of the day, you would see that HE was giving them the authority to create something called "halicha," which is a set of rules intended to help someone walk in obedience. He gave them a promise that whatever they decided, heaven itself would back them up.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Andrewofthetribe

Sep 12, 2016
Oxford
✟24,758.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
[QUOTE="DaveW-Ohev, post: 70523821, member

[/QUOTE]
Does this not mean Jesus might have only been talking about Jewish people? Could this mean the message wasn't really for non-Jewish people?

Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0

Andrewofthetribe

Sep 12, 2016
Oxford
✟24,758.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
As creator and LORD, HE always had the keys. In Matt 16 he gives those same keys over to Peter and the other disciples.

If you understand the religious verbiage of the day, you would see that HE was giving them the authority to create something called "halicha," which is a set of rules intended to help someone walk in obedience. He gave them a promise that whatever they decided, heaven itself would back them up.
What do you think these set of rules were?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Does this not mean Jesus might have only been talking about Jewish people? Could this mean the message wasn't really for non-Jewish people?
Much of what HE said has universal application. But some of it is specifically to a Jewish audience.

That is why Acts 15, Acts 21 and Paul's letters (mostly directed at gentile believers) are so important.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

ronandcarol

Mar 9, 2014
✟27,889.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Go read Acts 15.

WOW! John 14:15 , that is in the New Testament, "If you love me, obey my commandments.
I am not Jewish, I do believe that when God etched those into stone they were for all of us.
If you don't think the commandments are relevant, is killing OK?, Is worshiping idols OK? Can we lie, commit adultery?

ronandcarol

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Andrewofthetribe

Sep 12, 2016
Oxford
✟24,758.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
WOW! John 14:15 , that is in the New Testament, "If you love me, obey my commandments.
I am not Jewish, I do believe that when God etched those into stone they were for all of us.
If you don't think the commandments are relevant, is killing OK?, Is worshiping idols OK? Can we lie, commit adultery?

ronandcarol
Great ideas and questions thanks! Did Jesus not show us a better way? Why would Jesus tell us what Jews would do?, I don't think he wanted us to live like Jewish people, I think that's why they put him to death because his views were different. I'm not saying the Ten Commandments aren't a good way to follow I'm just saying maybe Jesus was talking about roman laws when he spoke of obeying them, the laws that keep the wheels turning.
Whilst his message shall spread to all the world.

Upvote 0

Andrewofthetribe

Sep 12, 2016
Oxford
✟24,758.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

ronandcarol
Which Commandments ?

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In Matthew 19 Jesus listed five of the ten commandments.

Matt. 19:18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself....

The Jews had commandments from God and commandments made by men. Jesus worked on the Sabbath, thus nullifying part of the "law."

The Jews also had a collection of laws about how to obey the laws in the Torah that eventually became the Talmud. One of these laws treated women who were having their monthly periods to be unclean for seven days due to uncleanness. Unclean people were not supposed to touch others or touch things other people used. Theories of menstrual cycle uncleanness (nidah) have since been made obsolete by science. The reformed Jews do not take such things seriously.

God showed Peter that he should not worry about pork, catfish and other foods made unclean by the Torah, but that eating these would not harm him. This freed him to go to preach to a Gentile household where such things might be found (Acts 10).

Galatians 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under a curse. For it is written, "Cursed is everyone who doesn't continue in all things that are written in the book of the law, to do them." 11 Now that no man is justified by the law before God is evident, for, "The righteous will live by faith." 12 The law is not of faith, but, "The man who does them will live by them." 13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us. For it is written, "Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree," 14 that the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Christ Jesus; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Reactions: smithed64
Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Jesus worked on the Sabbath, thus nullifying part of the "law."

Please quote scripture to support the statement above that the giver of the law violated the law of the Sabbath below.

8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Upvote 0