Did Jesus take the punishment for every sin committed by every person?

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"...so Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many.* To those who eagerly wait for Him He will appear a second time, apart from sin, for salvation." Hebrews 9:28 NKJV

*Not necessarily ALL, but certainly all who would come to Him.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Edit: Excluding the unpardonable sin, I guess.
Jesus took upon Himself the penalty and the wrath of God in place of every person who believed in the coming Messiah (the OT saints) and those who believed in the risen and glorified Christ afterward, and into the future.

Those who have and will reject Christ will bear the penalty, because He did not bear the penalty for those who reject Him.

The miracle about what Jesus did on the cross was that He was nailed to the cross for three hours until He knew that the whole debt and penalty had been paid, and then He gave up His life to the Father. The amazing thing was that it took Jesus just three hours to bear the penalty for millions of believers, and the eternal wrath of God in just three hours. This is the reason that only God as a man could be the perfect sacrifice for us. Only an eternal divine Person could accomplish all that in such a short time, and yet as a man without sin and blemish, He was the perfect sacrifice for sin.

I think we have just so much to honour and praise God for!

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

If you’re asking about Penal Substitutionary Atonement, I don’t believe that. I don’t believe that Our Lord is considered juridically guilty of our sins and is then punished by The Father accordingly.

Do we have forgiveness for sins by grace through faith in Our Lord’s sacrifice on the cross? Yes. But God The Father does not consider the Son to be literally guilty of the sins committed by otherwise faithful Christians.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
In 2 Corinthians 5:21 Paul explains what theologians refer to as The Great Exchange:
God made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God.

In Christ, the sinner becomes legally righteous before God. In the same way, Jesus the righteous One took on our guilt during His crucifixion.

• Winner
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If you’re asking about Penal Substitutionary Atonement, I don’t believe that. I don’t believe that Our Lord is considered juridically guilty of our sins and is then punished by The Father accordingly.

Do we have forgiveness for sins by grace through faith in Our Lord’s sacrifice on the cross? Yes. But God The Father does not consider the Son to be literally guilty of the sins committed by otherwise faithful Christians.

study the sanctuary service in the old testament, it might change you understanding as it lays out the plan of salvation

Sanctuary | Heavenly Sanctuary | Christ Our Mediator

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

Yes. And the unpardonable sin is only unpardonable while the individual holds to it. Think Saul's persecution of the Christians.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You really didn’t though.

I really did have to try because your posts gives me the opportunity to share with others the opposite view of your statements and who knows who might read them

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

CassieShannon

May 3, 2018
southeast
✟9,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

In John 19:30 the scripture says, "It is accomplished-finished" meaning that the scripture that says the wages of sin is death (Romans 6:23) and that we are redeemed by Jesus' death (Romans 4:24). It is by dying that Jesus paid the penalty for all sin - the penalty we deserved. So, yes Jesus took the punishment for all sin and when we accept His payment through salvation and thereby discipleship we are pardoned of sin and death.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums