Did Jesus Spend Time Ministering in India?

Lord Herdsetk

What were they thinking?
Dec 4, 2010
Alabama
✟16,810.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
People like to hear stories, and many people like to tell stories, so we need to be cautious. I don't know of any Scripture in the Word that tells anything about a trip to India.

The scripture also doesn't tell us all of the miracles Jesus performed and makes note of that(John 21:25).

That said, what evidence are you talking about? Could you provide some links or names please, bythegraceofgodgoi? I'm interested.

Upvote 0

AbpPhilip

Sep 27, 2011
✟15,112.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I read a book called "The lost years of Jesus" by Elizabeth Clare Prophet. It was interesting if not very credible. It seemed to sort of drift into LaLa Land towards the end. I for one think it is moot and He most likely spent His formative years taking care of His mother like a good son should. Academically it may be fine to speculate as long as we don't let our guessing get in the way of His real purpose and message.

Pax,
++Philip

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,856.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Did Jesus Spend Time Ministering in India?

No, Jesus ministered to the Jews.

There is much evidence that our Lord spend some of his "missing" years in India. What do you think?
What evidence? According to tradition, the Apostle Thomas spread the Gospel in India and surrounding areas. There is little historical evidence for that, though, outside of the writings of the ECF's.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, He did not. And actually there really is no real evidence that He spent any time anywhere except for ancient Israel. However, one of the apostles did go to India to evangelize the people there. I believe it was Saint Thomas.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
It's highly unlikely Jesus would have traveled to India. Granted there were Jewish communities there.

On the other hand, one of the most prominent traditions in Christianity is that St. Thomas the Apostle traveled to India. The Mar Thoma Christians (the traditional indigenous Christians of India) have always placed Thomas as the one who first brought Christianity to India.

It might just be a legend, though Christianity did reach India fairly early on.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jpark

Oct 11, 2008
✟13,882.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jesus was sent to the lost sheep of Israel from His birth, from before creation.

Matt. 26:31 Then Jesus *said to them, “You will all fall away because of Me this night, for it is written, ‘I WILL STRIKE DOWN THE SHEPHERD, AND THE SHEEP OF THE FLOCK SHALL BE SCATTERED.’

Zechariah 13:7 “Awake, O sword, against My Shepherd,
And against the man, My Associate,”
Declares the LORD of hosts.
“Strike the Shepherd that the sheep may be scattered;
And I will turn My hand against the little ones (Matt. 18:10-14).

Jesus' disciples a.k.a God's church were 1/2 of the flock. The other half was the Jews.

Even if Jesus did visit India, His ministry would have been very, very, very limited.

Upvote 0

pathfinder777

Dec 29, 2010
Orange County CA
✟8,057.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There is much evidence that our Lord spend some of his "missing" years in India. What do you think?

"much evidence"
I am not aware of any??
Hundreds of years after the ministry of Jesus it was very popular for church leaders to claim their churches were founded by some of the the twelve Apostles. This is based on tradition, not historical sources of any kind with the exception of Paul and Peter being in Rome at one point for an unknown amount of time. Again there is no evidence either were there as long as some later traditions have claimed (eg Peter being the first bishop for 20+ years). I do find it interesting that out of all the sees the claim of Peter being Rome's founder (as far as most prominent Christian to have been there teaching and providing pastoral care, not neccesarily the very first Christian to start a church there) is plausible when he was out of the 12 the most "missionary like".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ptomwebster

Jul 10, 2011
MN
Visit site
✟1,922.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Christ might have traveled with His uncle, Joseph of Arimathaea who was an owner of tin mines. Are there tin mines in India?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rahm

Give 'em Heaven
Jan 10, 2008
Green Bay, Wisconsin
✟25,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As cool as it would be, I'm afraid that it isn't true. However--I am sure Christians went to India and preached there (Thomas).

Upvote 0