Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
""Adam" is named as a "specific person" because that is the way in which the Genesis story is laid out. It is done in reverence to the holy writings of the ancient Hebrew fathers."

Noo..you're wrong. He was refering to a specific person. Example: Is there really a medusa that can turn people to stone with one look? NO, because that is a myth. Now if someone says, Medusa turns people to stone and Christ can heal them..this reference is refering specifically to medusa and her person. If she is not real, then Christ and the healing is not real as well. That's just basic literature.

"It is truth, but not literal."

Then you don't have a clue as to what you're talking about. I'm trying not to sound rude, but linage is a big deal to the jews. It is LITERAL, not mythical.

As for the two other references you say "see above" again, your logic is faulty. by refering to Moses in the same way as Adam they either both exisist or neither of them do.

Upvote 0

franklin

Sexed up atheism = Pantheism
May 21, 2002
Bible belt
Visit site
✟9,942.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by humblejoe
You must have a different defintion of the depth of sin than I do. We don't sin only through actions. Thoughts can be sin as well. That couple of seconds that you grasp and hold onto a temptation within your mind is when you start sinning. That moment of violent anger toward a brother that wrongs you, that flash of lustful thought toward a woman that crosses your path, these are sins, even though they aren't followed by actions. Sin never completely goes away; it just decreases in magnitude as we are sanctified and grow as Christians.

Actually mr humblejoe, I don't have my own private interpretation or definition of sin or of any scripture, I go by sola scriptura and I do not rely on man's interpretions, speculations, concepts and myths as to what the scripture says; I believe sin is what is plainly stated in the scripture: "Sin is the transgression of the law." (1John 3:4). So, according to the Scripture, sin is an act or a choice that transgresses the law of God. Let me ask you some very basic questions: Was Jesus tempted?  Did Jesus sin?  Now look at what James says about temptation and sin and how he makes the distinction between the two: But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.  Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. (Js 1:14-15)

Upvote 0

Blackhawk

Monkey Boy
Feb 5, 2002
Ft. Worth, tx
Visit site
✟22,925.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
**** Mod Hat on****

Please remember that one does not have to put down others in order to make a point. I have seen it on both sides in this thread.

Please remember also that since we can only rely on written words many things can be misunderstood if not put in the nicest way. It is just easier to not understand a post than speaking in person. So please think of this while you post. And make sure that we speak to each other as Christian brothers and sisters. And reply to eachother when there is a misunderstanding in all humility and love.

James 1:19-20
19 {This} you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak {and} slow to anger;
20 for the anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God.
(NAU)

***Mod hat off****

Upvote 0

ZoneChaos

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2002
Kansas City, MO
Visit site
✟15,032.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Franklin, This Message Board, and its operators accept that Jesus is both God and man, and a part of the Trinity.  We accpet the Trinity Doctrine as a core belief of Christianity.  I am not saying you are or are not a Christian, but please in the future state that it is your opinion that Jesus is not a member of a Trinity.

Especially in this forum, which is for Christians, it is imperative that a harmony be reach in what is being taught. 

There is a difference in teaching and opinion.  As far as I am concerned, anything present as a statement of teaching must comply with the accept tenants of Christianity that the Staff have also accepted. Anything contrary to them, should be acknowledged as opinion.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
>>IF Jesus did NOT sin (and therefore he is God), why did God find it necessary to SANCTIFY or PURIFY him.

Because He had flesh just like we have. He had a body and a brain, just like we have.  That is why, He had all the weakness we have. He was tested and tempted in every way, just as we are. Yet He did not sin. He showed us a way that we can live, so that we also, do not ever sin. Jesus came to show us the way. We are to walk in His footprints. Everything He did, we are to do.

John 14:6
    Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

Upvote 0
Ed, I cannot beleive that you are really this cold towards Christ. Jesus never sinned and could not sin because he is God. He was conceived by the Holy Ghost. He was sanctified by himself/God because he came as a man to show man the error of their ways. He took upon him the sins of man in order that the ultimate sacrifice would be paid for man's sin for now and eternal.. the only perfect sacrifice was and is Jesus Christ. YOu have seen enough scripture as evidence.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

caley

Christian Anarchist
Oct 29, 2002
Fargo, ND
Visit site
✟1,081.00
Faith
Protestant
I would definitely put myself into the "Jesus never sinned" camp.  It seems that the argument for Jesus' sinning revolves around John 10:36.  I believe I can successfully debunk this argument using that verse itself.

"Do you say of Him whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, "You are blaspheming, because I said, 'I am the Son of God'?" John 10:36 (NKJV)(emphasis mine)

The wording of this verse implies a specific order of events:

a)Christ was sanctified by the Father

b)Christ was sent into the world.

If you define sanctify as to cleanse of sin; to forgive, then that does not fit with this order of events, unless you can somehow make the case that Christ sinned before he was born.  However, if you define sanctify thusly,

1. To set apart for sacred use; consecrate.
  2. To make holy; purify.
  3. To give religious sanction to, as with an oath or vow: <CITE>sanctify a marriage.</CITE>
  4. To give social or moral sanction to.
  5. To make productive of holiness or spiritual blessing.

(as defined by www.dictionary.com)

one can see that sanctification can have nothing to do with the cleansing/forgiveness of sin, and would be a perfectly appropriate thing for the Father to do to the Son before sending him to Earth.

Also, if the price of sin is truly death, as it claims at every turn in the bible, how would sending a sinful man to absorb the sins of others be of any benefit?&nbsp; In order to truly absorb the sins of others and take them with Him to the cross, Christ had to be sinless, otherwise he would have had his own sins to atone for, and could&nbsp;not absorb ours.

Upvote 0

Outspoken

Standing in the Gap
Nov 8, 2002
✟22,188.00
Faith
Christian
"I would definitely put myself into the "Jesus never sinned" camp."

As would I, but this has no bearing on weather he was sick or not. As for suffering it is definatly part of a christians life

1Pe 4:1 Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;

But I do agree, Jesus never sinned, it says as much in the bible in several places. In John 15:30 Jesus even implies it himself if you think about the verse. As far as an explict statement.
It can be found in 1 Peter 2:21-22

"1Pe 2:21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps. Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

reeann

Trust and Obey
Nov 11, 2002
South Carolina
Visit site
✟8,692.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why did Jesus have to baptised? Why did Jesus have to die, couldn't he just erradicate sin in a whisper??????

Jesus was also fully man, made himself lesser...set aside His diety, to be our example.

Jesus showed us how to live, how to be obedient, who to pray too, and etc..

I'm just learning things myself. It would do my heart better to try to read your posts if you would not start them out so sarcastic.

While I support 100% doing this type of Bible study, better to remember, follow Jesus' example first... pray, then post.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.