Did Jesus Sin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

edpobre

Feb 5, 2002
NEW YORK
✟3,067.00
Friends,

One of the many reasons why a lot of people BELIEVE the FALSE doctrine that Jesus is God is because apostles Peter and Paul wrote that Jesus did not sin.

However, Jesus himself said that the Father SANCTIFIED or PURIFIED him (John 10:36). IF Jesus did NOT sin (and therefore he is God), why did God find it necessary to SANCTIFY or PURIFY him. Didn't God know that Jesus did not sin or that Jesus is God? Is there a God that NEEDS to be SANCTIFIED or PURIFIED?

Or is it perhaps that Jesus LIED about his being SANCTIFIED or PURIFIED by the Father?

Ed

edpobre

Feb 5, 2002
NEW YORK
✟3,067.00
Originally posted by LouisBooth
Nope, Jesus never sinned. He says that himself. Read carefully ed. First just answer this simple question..Who is the prince of this world?

You say Jesus NEVER sinned. Then answer the question first before asking a question. Why did God find it necessary to SANCTIFY Jesus? Or was Jesus telling a LIE?

Ed

Upvote 0

Mandy

Dec 28, 2001
California
Visit site
✟7,109.00
If Jesus had sinned, then He could not have died for our sins. John 10:36 is not saying that He had sinned and needed to be sanctified as we do and in the manner we tend to think. Jesus is saying He was set apart, in that He became man and was set apart to do what He came to do. He was a lamb without spot or blemish, perfect and sinless.

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Okay ed since you're too scared to answer I'll tell you. According to the scriptures Satan is the prince of this world and several times Christ says he (satan) has no hold on him. Okay, now for a bonus ed can you name where he says this...? Christ is, was and always will be perfect..how else can he be the "lamb of God" ? Read some background in leve chpater 5-7 for info.

Upvote 0

edpobre

Feb 5, 2002
NEW YORK
✟3,067.00
Originally posted by Patmosman_sga
You need to read the rest of John's Gospel, especially 17:19, in which Jesus says, "And for their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they also may be sanctified by the truth."

How could Jesus sanctify himself unless he was God incarnate?

I thought Trinitarians are masters at CONTEXT. The CONTEXT of John 10:36 is DIFFERENT from the CONTEXT of John 17:19.

In John 10:36, the Pharisees were ACCUSING Jesus of committing BLASPHEMY which is a SIN. Thus, the meaning of SANCTIFY in this case is PURIFY or CLEANSED from sin.

In John 17:9, Jesus was talking to the Father abouit those whom He GAVE to him against those who are IN the WORLD. The ONLY thing that SEPARATES Jesus and his DISCIPLES from the world is the TRUTH which is the WORD of God. In this case, SANCTIFY means SET APART.

Ed

Upvote 0

edpobre

Feb 5, 2002
NEW YORK
✟3,067.00
Originally posted by Mandy
If Jesus had sinned, then He could not have died for our sins. John 10:36 is not saying that He had sinned and needed to be sanctified as we do and in the manner we tend to think. Jesus is saying He was set apart, in that He became man and was set apart to do what He came to do. He was a lamb without spot or blemish, perfect and sinless.

I thought Trinitarians are masters of CONTEXT. Read the verses prior to John 10:36 and you will notre that Jesus was being ACCUSED of committing BLASPHEMY which is a SIN. Jesus was telling the Pharisees that he did NOT commit any SIN because the Father has CLEANSED him of any sin that he has ever committed.

Thus, even if Jesus SINNED in the eyes of men (like when he BROKE the Sabbath), he knew NO sin because the Father SANCTIFIED him.

Ed

Upvote 0

edpobre

Feb 5, 2002
NEW YORK
✟3,067.00
Okay ed since you're too scared to answer I'll tell you. According to the scriptures Satan is the prince of this world and several times Christ says he (satan) has no hold on him. Okay, now for a bonus ed can you name where he says this...? Christ is, was and always will be perfect..how else can he be the "lamb of God" ? Read some background in leve chpater 5-7 for info.

Satan's being the Prince of the world does NOT have anything to do with the topic. If somebody else did this, a reprimand would be in order. Now, having said that, let's get back to the topic.

You said that Jesus did NOT sin. Then answer my question: Why did God find it necessary to SANCTIFY Jesus? Do you believe Jesus telling a LIE?

Ed

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Slave2SinNoMore

May 30, 2002
Visit site
✟947.00
Faith
Christian
Ed,
Why would anyone put their trust in someone who has sinned? Heck, I might as well go die for you.

What would the death of someone who had sinned accomplish? How would that pay the price for sin?

In the Old Testament, it was a spotless lamb that was sacrificed. Christ is called the Lamb of God. He is the "spotless" Lamb - the "sinless" God man.

You don't believe that Christ is God. You also believe that Christ sinned. Do you call yourself a Christian? If so, why? According to the way you see Christ, he's nothing special. Might as well go worship a frog.

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"Satan's being the Prince of the world does NOT have anything to do with the topic. "

Has everything to do with the topic, for if he has a hold on you then you have sinned. If he has no hold on you then you have no sin in your life.

John 15:30 "I will not speak with you much longer, for the prince of this world is comming and he has NO HOLD ON ME."

No sin ed, Christ was sinless :)

Another way to show you is what a perfect lamb is. Do you know what the requirements for a sacrifical lamb are ed?

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
"The fact that CHRIST NEVER sinned, does not make HIM G_D
"

Didn't say that. It was just another excercise to show ed that he was wrong :) This thread is not about that though, there are other threads you can talk about him being God.

On the contrary Louis, I think that ed's attempted intent for this thread IS to prove that Jesus is not YAHWEH GOD.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

edpobre

Feb 5, 2002
NEW YORK
✟3,067.00
Originally posted by Slave2SinNoMore
Ed,
Why would anyone put their trust in someone who has sinned? Heck, I might as well go die for you.

If Jesus were God or if he were a MAN who did NOT sin, why did Jesus say he was SANCTIFIED or PURIFIED by God (John 10:36)? Why didn't he say outrghtly that he did NOT sin?

What would the death of someone who had sinned accomplish? How would that pay the price for sin?

In the Old Testament, it was a spotless lamb that was sacrificed. Christ is called the Lamb of God. He is the "spotless" Lamb - the "sinless" God man.

What becomes of a MAN whose sins have been forgiven my friend? Isn't that MAN sinless? In Isaiah 1:18 , God said that "though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red as crimson, they shall be as wool."

Apostles Peter and Paul said Jesus knew no sin becuse God has SANCTIFIED Jesus. Thus, it no longer mattters whether he sinned or not. This is only necessary when people MAKE Jesus God because they read that "he knew no sin."

You don't believe that Christ is God. You also believe that Christ sinned. Do you call yourself a Christian? If so, why? According to the way you see Christ, he's nothing special. Might as well go worship a frog.

Apparently you don't know what a TRUE Christian is. A TRUE Christian is a DISCIPLE of Christ (Acts 11:26) who BELIEVES in Christ and ABIDES in his word (John 8:31).

Christ says he is a MAN (John 8:40). A TRUE Christian BELIEVES and ABIDES in this WORD. Christ says the FATHER is the ONLY true God (John 17:3). A TRUE Christian likewise BELIEVES and ABIDES in this WORD.

A person who does NOT worship the TRUE God might as well worship a frog because his worship is in vain (Matt. 15:9).

Ed

Upvote 0
Ed don't let someone tell you wether you are a Christian or not that is between you and God not man. I understand that Jesus came from God....God sent his Spirit to descend upon Jesus and that is why Jesus was pure. Jesus is of God because God made him such. God gave us Jesus....Jesus did not give us God. God as the Spirit....they are one. God as Jahovah they are separate...There is God the Father....Jahovah...Jesus our Lord and Savior...and the Holy Spirit all with one purpose separate but yet stem from God. Doctrine of trinity is confusing but I believe this is what it is ment to say. When we pray who do we pray to Ed?

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"Why didn't he say outrghtly that he did NOT sin? "

He did say that outright and people said that of him. Cultural context ed. John calling Christ the lamb of God is a clear indication that Christ was sinless as well as the statements I showed you already.

Question ed: YOu said that Christ was sanctifed. For this to work it had to be on a constant basis. If not then he would have sinned (because you say he is just a man) and fallen again. So please show me biblically where it says Jesus was being constantly santified or explain when he was sanctified and how it is possible for a man to live a sinless life. Thanks.

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"Jesus did not give us God. "

"Love" you haven't read your bible. christ clearly says that if you know him you know the father...so in a way christ did give us God. It is also written that Christ send the Holy Spirit to us, again in a way, giving us God.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.