• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Did Jesus set the law aside when he opened the man’s eyes?

Discussion in 'Controversial Christian Theology' started by Saint Steven, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Doctor.Sphinx

Doctor.Sphinx Well-Known Member

+2,891
    Egypt
    Christian
    Private
    US-Constitution
    The higher laws took precedance over the lower.

2. bling

bling Regular Member Supporter

+1,300
    Non-Denom
    Married
    First off it is not so much how I define “desecration” as it is: how do we define “sin”.

God defines sin, so in Adam and Eve’s case the only way they might have been able to “sin” is by eating the fruit, because God defines “sin”.

A Jew in 30 AD sinned if he ate a pig, but in 35 AD that same Jew could eat a pig and not sin, because there is a timing issue (before and after Christianity), a person issue (Gentiles in 30AD could eat a pig without sinning) and a knowledge issue (since a Jew thinking in 35 AD he was sinning by eating a pig and doing it anyway would be a sin for him).

I do not see the priests shamefully “desecrating” the Sabbath day, since they were worshipping extremely hard and making the Sabbath Day truly a worship filled Holy day, but they did “desecrate” the Sabbath Law (the rules for the people to keep). I see Jesus saying “Sabbath” to mean “Sabbath Law”, since a Sabbath, as it is today, is just another “day” without the Sabbath Law.

We can conclude that God can make exceptions or additions to even God given laws.

Today we can keep and should keep the Sabbath Rest every day, but it is like the Priests did. We are in the Jubilee Age where every day is a Sabbath and we are all priests keeping the Sabbath. We do not “work” by God’s definition of work, but do everything in obedience to God’s commands (worship). The “addition” to the Sabbath law is worship is to be done on the Sabbath (which is the way it was prior to Christ) and we are all priests.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Saint Steven

Saint Steven You can call me Steve Supporter

+6,834
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    There we go. That's better than a simple, "No."
    However, based on your scripture choices, you should have said, "Yes!"

I asked if "the law" (small "l") had been set aside, not "the Law" (capital "L")
    And, how do you "abolish" a Prophet, or a Psalm?

4. Saint Steven

+6,834
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    So
    are
    you saying that the Sabbath is a "lower" law?

5. Saint Steven

+6,834
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Thanks for your reply. I don't recall if you responded to the main question.
    Did Jesus set the law aside when he opened the man’s eyes?

6. Doctor.Sphinx

+2,891
    Egypt
    Christian
    Private
    US-Constitution
    Than circumcision on the eighth day and duties of the priests were - yes.

Why else does Paul argue primarily against circumcision in Galatians, rather than the Sabbath? Why else did the Judaisers focus on circumcision, rather than Sabbath observance?

7. Saint Steven

+6,834
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I think they wanted the gentiles to have some skin in the game. lol

But seriously, you make an interesting point.

However, the law is a singular thing. It's not a buffet where you can take a dab of this and a spoonful of that. You are either under the law, the whole law, and all of the law, or you are not. (I prefer the latter)

8. Doctor.Sphinx

+2,891
    Egypt
    Christian
    Private
    US-Constitution
    I agree. What I meant was that the Sabbath was an important law - people got stoned for not keeping it. Yet 8th-day circumcision was kept even if the 8th day fell on the Sabbath - so even more important (and Moses - arguably one of Israel's greatest leaders - nearly got killed for not keeping that).

So the law (i.e. keeping all of the law) was sometimes summarised as circumcision, although the circumcision requirement only played a small part.

9. Saint Steven

+6,834
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I mostly agree. Thanks for the clarification.

The circumcision issue for gentiles was an entry point to Judaism. If a gentile wanted to convert to Judaism, he needed to be circumcised and then follow the law. The Jewish believers that pushed this were known as the Circumcision Group, or simply, the Circumcision.

Today, the entry point for that type of thinking is Sabbath observance. And there is a whole spectrum of beliefs in that direction. Everything from Messianic Christians to Sabbatarians to Christians that believe Sunday is the Sabbath. I don't subscribe to any of that. Yet Ken says I have a legalistic view. Go figure. lol