DID JESUS REALLY BREAK ANY OF GOD'S LAW?

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟250,441.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I would like to return to the whole thing about Jesus saying that nothing that enters a man makes him unclean. The immediate implications of this are clear:

1. The Law of Moses declares many foods unclean.
2. Jesus says that nothing that enters a man makes that man unclean.
3. Since food is a "thing" that can enter a man, Jesus is clearly saying that no food makes a man unclean.
4. Therefore, obviously, Jesus is challenging the Law of Moses.

Those who want to challenge the simple logic of this appeal to the fact that the conversation started with handwashing - which we all agree is an add-on to the Law of Moses - and that Jesus's point is that eating with unclean hands doesn't really make a man unclean.

But what an odd argument!

Jesus does not say that eating with unclean hands make a man unclean, He says that nothing that enters the mouth makes that man unclean.

The objector here is in an impossible position - his only recourse to save the idea that Jesus is not challenging the Law is to claim that logical structure of the account forces us to conclude that Jesus "mis-spoke" by saying "nothing" and really meant to say that "nothing that is otherwise clean according to the Law of Moses is made unclean by eating it with unclean hands"

A rather significant "error" on Jesus's part it would seem. Who would say "nothing that enters you makes you unclean" and yet also believe that a whole laundry list of foods do, in fact, make you unclean as the Law of Moses says.

But, in any event, the logic of the passage certainly does not force us to conclude that Jesus is still on the handwashing thing. It makes perfect sense for Jesus to be arguing thus: "You Jews have added on to the Law of Moses, and that was a mistake; however, since we are on the topic of what defiles you, I am here to tell you that a new chapter is opening in God's plan and all foods are now clean".

Now Jesus, of course, does not say this, but that is clearly not the point. The point is that, despite the protestations of those who insist Jesus really did not mean "nothing", the logic of the passage is perfectly consistent with us taking Jesus's words at their plain meaning: no food makes a man unclean.

And this, of course, challenges the Law of Moses.

• Agree
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No worries Steve your salvation is between you and God. You are free to believe as you wish. Only God's WORD is true and we should believe and follow it over the teachings and tradtions of men that break the commandment of God. We all answer only to God come judgment day. You are free to stop the conversation if it is upsetting you and you cannot prove your claims from the Word of God.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :wave:
Thanks. But we don't even agree on that.

John 5:24
“Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life.

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Now according to God's WORD we are only under God's LAW when we are guilty of breaking it (Romans 3:19-20)
How does this Scripture say what you are saying it does?
19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it speaketh to them that are under the law; that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may be brought under the judgment of God: 20 because by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified in his sight; for through the law [cometh] the knowledge of sin.

If a person is not righteous, they are under law.
If someone is in Christ, they are righteous. So only unbelievers are under the law.
Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to those who believe. Romans 10:4

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The New Covenant laws that are written on our heart.
The law of faith.
The law of the Spirit of life.
We love Him because He first loved us. Superior to a command to love Him with all our heart ....
The law Jesus gave in John 13:34, we are to love others as He loved us. This is much higher than love others as we love ourselves.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
How does this Scripture say what you are saying it does?
19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it speaketh to them that are under the law; that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may be brought under the judgment of God: 20 because by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified in his sight; for through the law [cometh] the knowledge of sin.

If a person is not righteous, they are under law.
If someone is in Christ, they are righteous. So only unbelievers are under the law.
Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to those who believe. Romans 10:4

Let's go through it slowly together maybe it will help if we go through the scriptures a little slower, sorry I thought you understood the context of these scriptures. This was posted earlier maybe you did not read it.

Let's start from v8-18 These scriptures show the context...

ROMANS 3:9-18
[9], What then? are we better than they? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin;
[10], As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
]11], There is none that understands, there is none that seeks after God.
[12], They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that does good, no, not one.
[13], Their throat is an open sepulcher; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips:
[14], Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness:
[15], Their feet are swift to shed blood:
[16], Destruction and misery are in their ways:
[17], And the way of peace have they not known:
[18], There is no fear of God before their eyes.

The context of v19-20 is that we are all sinners none are rightoues no not one v9 ALL ARE UNDER SIN, all have broken God's LAW because sin is breaking God's LAW (1 John 3:4; James 2:11; Romans 7:7)

ROMANS 3:19-20
[19], Now we know that what things soever the law said, it said to them who are UNDER THE LAW: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.

Now v19, in connection with the Context of v9-18 is summing up what has been previously said saying that those who are "UNDER THE LAW" are those who are GUILTY BEFORE GOD of breaking the LAW v9 confirms this saying both JEWS and GENTILES are ALL UNDER SIN, which means we are all GUILTY before GOD of breaking God's LAW. v19

[20], Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Now how is all this so? WHY? PAUL is saying in v20 FOR BY THE LAW IS THE KNOWLEDGE of what SIN is.

So YEP... to be "UNDER THE LAW" in ROMANS 3:19-20 means to be GUILTY BEFORE GOD of breaking it and both JEW and GENTILE are guilty before GOD and need a Saviour.

Hope this is helpful

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Before using the law, you must know how to use it lawfully.
And the first thing you need to know about how to use it lawfully is to know that the law was not made for a righteous man. Then Paul explains who the law is for.

Most people I show that to will tell me that a person is righteous until they break the law, so then the law is for them because they are no longer righteous.
But, we who have trusted in Christ have everlasting righteousness. It doesn't go away the next time we break the 10 Commandments.
If it were true that we became unrighteous as soon as we committed a sin, putting us back under the law, this Scripture in 1 Timothy 1 would be meaningless.

Because the righteous follow the law. Yeshua followed it. Our righteousness is like filthy rags. When The Father looks at us now, He only sees His Son.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Right. The law was not made for the righteous.

1 Timothy 1:9
We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers,

Romans 2:13

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Those who want to challenge the simple logic of this appeal to the fact that the conversation started with handwashing - which we all agree is an add-on to the Law of Moses - and that Jesus's point is that eating with unclean hands doesn't really make a man unclean.

But what an odd argument!

The problem is that you are STILL trying to twist Scripture to qualify your false position and understanding. You are doing the exact same thing as others who say the same regarding Peter's vision telling him to eat the unclean animals...again, like this, it has nothing to do with eating unclean food (non-kosher).

• Agree
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Your position makes God a liar. He said in Jeremiah, repeated in Hebrews that the New Covenant replaced the Ten Commandments (Old Covenant). Shudder.............

Not at all Dave, how can you know what the NEW COVENANT is if you do not KNOW what the OLD COVENANT is? How can you be a part of the NEW COVENANT if the NEW COVENANT promise is to ISERAEL and you believe the 10 commandments are only for ISRAEL? Something to think about.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Don't overlook the context on that one.

Romans 2:13-15
For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight,
but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous.
14 (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law,
do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves,
even though they do not have the law.
15 They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts,
their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes
accusing them and at other times even defending them.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not at all Dave, how can you know what the NEW COVENANT is if you do not KNOW what the OLD COVENANT is? How can you be a part of the NEW COVENANT if the NEW COVENANT promise is to ISERAEL and you believe the 10 commandments are only for ISRAEL? Something to think about.
The Ten Commandments were the Old Covenant. Please consider:
“And He (God) wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the Ten Commandments.” Exodus 34:28

“And He declared unto you His covenant, which He commanded you to perform, even the Ten Commandments.” Deuteronomy 4:13:

“When I was gone up into the mount to receive the tables of stone, even the tables of the covenant.” Deuteronomy 9:9:

“So I turned and came down from the mount . . . and the two tables of the covenant were in my two hands.” Deuteronomy 9:15:

“There was nothing in the ark save the two tables of stone which Moses put there at Horeb, when Jehovah made a covenant with the children of Israel, when they came out of the land of Egypt,” I Kings 8:9

“And there have I set a place for the ark, wherein is the covenant of Jehovah, which he made with our fathers, when he brought them out of the land of Egypt.” I Kings 8:21

The second of these two texts is repeated in II Chronicles 6:11.

Consider “The ark of the covenant” that held the Ten Commandments (Numbers 10:33; Jeremiah 3:16, and other places)

Now, consider what Jeremiah says:

“Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, That I will make a new covenant With the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers In the day that I took them by the hand To bring them out of the land of Egypt; Which my covenant they brake, Although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord: But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, And write it in their hearts; And will be their God, And they shall be my people.” (Jeremiah 31:31–33)

Now consider Christ introduced the New Covenant:

“In the same way also he took the cup, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.”” (1 Corinthians 11:25)

“who has made us sufficient to be ministers of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit. For the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.” (2 Corinthians 3:6)

• Agree
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The Ten Commandments were the Old Covenant. Please consider:
“And He (God) wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the Ten Commandments.” Exodus 34:28

“And He declared unto you His covenant, which He commanded you to perform, even the Ten Commandments.” Deuteronomy 4:13:

“When I was gone up into the mount to receive the tables of stone, even the tables of the covenant.” Deuteronomy 9:9:

“So I turned and came down from the mount . . . and the two tables of the covenant were in my two hands.” Deuteronomy 9:15:

“There was nothing in the ark save the two tables of stone which Moses put there at Horeb, when Jehovah made a covenant with the children of Israel, when they came out of the land of Egypt,” I Kings 8:9

“And there have I set a place for the ark, wherein is the covenant of Jehovah, which he made with our fathers, when he brought them out of the land of Egypt.” I Kings 8:21

The second of these two texts is repeated in II Chronicles 6:11.

Consider “The ark of the covenant” that held the Ten Commandments (Numbers 10:33; Jeremiah 3:16, and other places)

Now, consider what Jeremiah says:

“Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, That I will make a new covenant With the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers In the day that I took them by the hand To bring them out of the land of Egypt; Which my covenant they brake, Although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord: But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, And write it in their hearts; And will be their God, And they shall be my people.” (Jeremiah 31:31–33)

Now consider Christ introduced the New Covenant:

“In the same way also he took the cup, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.”” (1 Corinthians 11:25)

“who has made us sufficient to be ministers of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit. For the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.” (2 Corinthians 3:6)

Hello David nice to see you.

Your just repeating your self here David reposting the same things that have already been answered in post # 59 linked click me and post #201 linked click me. Both these posts already adressed this post. You keep reposting the same post over and over without addressing all the scriptures in the linked posts that disagree with you.

The link posts with all the scriptures in them showing that your understanding of the OLD COVENANT to be only the 10 Commandmetns is false. Simply ignoring all the scriptures in the linked posts here does not make God's WORD dissappear.

If you do not understand what the OLD COVENANT is how can you understand what the NEW COVENANT is?

May God bless you as you seek him through his Word.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Don't forget this one.

Deuteronomy 5:1-5
Moses summoned all Israel and said:
Hear, Israel, the decrees and laws I declare in your hearing today.
Learn them and be sure to follow them.
2 The Lord our God made a covenant with us at Horeb.
3 It was not with our ancestors that the Lord made this covenant,
but with us, with all of us who are alive here today.
4 The Lord spoke to you face to face out of the fire on the mountain.
5 (At that time I stood between the Lord and you to declare to you
the word of the Lord, because you were afraid of the fire
and did not go up the mountain.) And he said:

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello David nice to see you.

Your just repeating your self here David reposting the same things that have already been answered in post # 59 linked click me and post #201 linked click me. Both these posts already adressed this post you keep reposting over and over without addressing all the scriptures in the linked posts that disagree with you. The link posts with all the scriptures in them showing that your understanding of the OLD COVENANT to be only the 10 Commandmetns is false. Simply ignoring all the scriptures in the linked posts here does not make God's WORD dissappear.

If you do not understand what the OLD COVENANT is how can you understand what the NEW COVENANT is?

May God bless you as you seek him through his Word.
If all of scripture says the Old Covenant IS the Ten Commandments, what's the problem. What do you think the Old Covenant is?

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If all of scripture says the Old Covenant IS the Ten Commandments, what's the problem. What do you think the Old Covenant is?

No the OLD COVENANT is not only the 10 Commandments. It also includes the Shadow law from the MOSAIC BOOK OF THE COVENANT. This is why you find it difficult to understand what the NEW COVENANT is.

Read the scriptures in linked posts. It seems you haven't. That is whay I say to you how can you know what the NEW COVENANT is if you do not understand what the OLD COVENANT is?

Simply ignoring God's WORD that disagrees with you does not make it dissappear

Post # 59 linked click me and Post #201 linked click me.

May God help you as you seek him through his WORD

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No the OLD COVENANT is not only the 10 Commandments. This is why you find it difficult to understand what the NEW COVENANT is.

Read the scriptures in linked posts. It seems you haven't. That is whay I say to you how can you know what the NEW COVENANT is if you do not understand what the OLD COVENANT is?

Simply ignoring God's WORD that disagrees with you does not make it dissappear

Post # 59 linked click me and Post #201 linked click me.

May God help you as you seek him through his WORD
As I said earlier, all the peripheral laws came from them and went away with them.

• Agree
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
As I said earlier, all the peripheral laws came from them and went away with them.

What is a periperal laws?

Where does it say in God's WORD that God's 10 Commandments went away with them? It looks like Jesus, James, Paul, John and Peter all disagree with your teaching here. Does that not worry you?

SCRIPTURE SUPPORT HERE Click me

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is a periperal laws?
pe·riph·er·al
pəˈrif(ə)rəl/
adjective
  1. 1.
    relating to or situated on the edge or periphery of something.
    "the peripheral areas of Europe"
    synonyms: outlying, outer, on the edge/outskirts, surrounding
    "the city's peripheral subdivisions"

• Haha
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
pe·riph·er·al
pəˈrif(ə)rəl/
adjective
  1. 1.
    relating to or situated on the edge or periphery of something.
    "the peripheral areas of Europe"
    synonyms: outlying, outer, on the edge/outskirts, surrounding
    "the city's peripheral subdivisions"

Please provide the scripture I know what the definitions of peripheral are. Or do you mean these scriptures that disagree with you that you ignored earlier?

WHAT MADE UP THE OLD COVENANT?

The OLD COVENANT was made up of two sets of LAWS. These included God's LAW (10 Commandments) spoken and written by GOD himself to his people on two tables of stone and the MOSAIC BOOK OF THE COVENANT written and spoken to God's people by MOSES containing the CIVIL, CEREMONIAL and ECCLESIASTICAL laws for forgiveness of sin offerings for the SANCTUARY and PRIESTHOOD [Levitical].

The Old Covenant included; The 10 Commandments and the MOSAIC BOOK OF THE COVENANT...

1. GOD'S LAW (One scripture only as we already agree on this)

EXODUS 34 [28] And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the COVENANT, the TEN COMMANDMENTS.

and ...

2. THE MOSAIC BOOK OF THE COVENANT (Also part of the old covenant)

EXODUS 24 [7] And he took the BOOK OF THE COVENANT, and read in the hearing of the people: and they said, All that the LORD has said will we do, and be obedient.

DEUTERONOMY 31:26 [26] TAKE THIS BOOK OF THE LAW, and put it in the side of the ark of the COVENANT of the LORD your God, that it may be there FOR A WITNESS AGAINST THEE.

DEUTERONOMY 29:21 [21] And the LORD shall separate him unto evil out of all the tribes of Israel, ACCORDING TO ALL THE CURSES OF THE COVENANT that are WRITTEN IN THE BOOK OF THE LAW.

EXODUS 24 [7], And he took the BOOK OF THE COVENANT, and read in the audience of the people: and they said, All that the LORD has said will we do, and be obedient.

DEUTERONOMY 29 [21], And the LORD shall separate him to evil out of all the tribes of Israel, according to all the curses of the COVENANT THAT ARE WRITTEN IN THIS BOOK OF THE LAW.

DEUTERONOMY 31 [26], Take this BOOK OF THE LAW, and put it in the SIDE OF THE ARK OF THE COVENANT of the LORD your God, that it may be there for a witness against you.

2 KINGS 23 [2], And the king went up into the house of the LORD, and all the men of Judah and all the inhabitants of Jerusalem with him, and the priests, and the prophets, and all the people, both small and great: and HE READ IN THEIR EARS ALL THE WORDS OF THE BOOK OF THE COVENANT which was found in the house of the LORD.

2 KINGS 23 [3], And the king stood by a pillar, and made a covenant before the LORD, to walk after the LORD, and to keep his commandments and his testimonies and his statutes with all their heart and all their soul, TO PERFORM THE WORDS OF THIS COVENANT THAT WERE WRITTEN IN THIS BOOK. And all the people stood to the covenant.

2 KINGS 23 [21], And the king commanded all the people, saying, KEEP THE PASSOVER OF THE LORD your God, AS IT IS WRITTEN IN THE BOOK OF THIS COVENANT.

2 CHRONICLES 34 [30], And the king went up into the house of the LORD, and all the men of Judah, and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and the priests, and the Levites, and all the people, great and small: and HE READ IN THEIR EARS ALL THE WORDS OF THE BOOK OF THE COVENANT that was found in the house of the LORD.

2 CHRONICLES 34 [31] And the king stood in his place, and made a covenant before the LORD, to walk after the LORD, and to keep his commandments, and his testimonies, and his statutes, with all his heart, and with all his soul, TO PERFORM THE WORDS OF THE COVENANT WHICH ARE WRITTEN IN THE BOOK.

yep its not just the 10 Commandments...

HEBREWS 9:1 [1] Then verily THE FIRST COVENANT HAD ALSO ORDINANCES of divine service, and a worldly sanctuary. [9] Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience;[10] WHICH STOOD ONLY IN MEATS AND DRINKS, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation.[12] NEITHER BY THE BLOOD OF GOATS AND CALVES, BUT BY HIS OWN BLOOD he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

EPHESIANS 2 [15] HAVING ABOLISHED in his flesh the enmity, even the LAW OF COMMANDMENTS CONTAINED IN ORDINANCES; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;[16] And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby

EZEKIEL 46 [14] And thou shalt prepare a meat offering for it every morning, the sixth part of an ephah, and the third part of an hin of oil, to temper with the fine flour; a MEAT OFFERING continually by a perpetual ORDINANCE unto the LORD.

NUMBERS 19 [2] This is the ORDINANCE OF THE LAW which the Lord hath commanded, saying, Speak unto the children of Israel, that they bring thee a red heifer without spot, wherein is no blemish, and upon which never came yoke:

HEBREWS 10 [1] For THE LAW HAVING A SHADOW of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with THOSE SACRIFICES WHICH THEY OFFERED YEAR BY YEAR continually make the comers thereunto perfect.[2] For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins. [3] But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year.[4] For IT IS NOT POSSIBLE THAT THE BLOOD OF BULLS AND OF GOATS SHOULD TAKE AWAY SINS.

What laws are written on the heart in the NEW COVENANT promise? It is not the MOSAIC laws for remission of sin...

JEREMIAH [31], Behold, the days come, says the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:[32], NOT ACCORDING TO THE COVENANT THAT I MADE WITH THEIR FATHERS in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt ; MY COVENANT WHICH THEY BROKE, although I was a husband unto them, says the LORD:[33], But THIS SHALL BE MY COVENANT THAT I SHALL MAKE WITH THE HOUSE OF ISREAL; After those days, says the LORD, I WILL PUT MY LAWS IN THEIR INWARD PARTS, AND I WILL WRITE IT IN THEIR HEARTS AND THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE; [34], And they shall teach no more every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, says the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

2 CORINTHIANS 3 [2], You are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men: [3], Since you are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, WRITTEN NOT WITH INK, BUT WITH THE SPIRIT OF THE LIVING GOD; NOT IN TABLES OF STONE, BUT IN THE FLESHLY TABLES OF THE HEART. (see all of 2 COR 3)

The NEW COVENANT promise of LOVE is God's LAW (10 Commandments) written on the heart to LOVE through faith (ROMANS 13:8-10)

……………………………

CONCLUSION; Jesus did not come to change or destroy GOD'S LAW (10 Commandments). It is through GOD's LAW that we have a KNOLWEDGE of what SIN is. The sabbath is still to be kept. He came to fulfil what was written of Him in the books of the law and to END the Mosaic law for remission of SIN and the penalty of SIN in those who BELIEVE

yep it is the SHADOW laws that are fulfilled in Christ. The OLD COVENANT is made up of God's 10 Commandments and the Shadow laws in ORDINANCES from the MOSAIC BOOK OF THE COVENANT.

You have your shadow laws mixed up with God's eternal LAW that give us a KNOWLEDGE of what sin is if broken. * ROMANS 3:20; ROMANS 7:7; JAMES 2:11; 1 JOHN 3:4

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Please provide the scripture I know what the definitions of peripheral are. Or do you mean these scriptures that disagree with you that you ignored earlier?

WHAT MADE UP THE OLD COVENANT?

The OLD COVENANT was made up of two sets of LAWS. These included God's LAW (10 Commandments) spoken and written by GOD himself to his people on two tables of stone and the MOSAIC BOOK OF THE COVENANT written and spoken to God's people by MOSES containing the CIVIL, CEREMONIAL and ECCLESIASTICAL laws for forgiveness of sin offerings for the SANCTUARY and PRIESTHOOD [Levitical].

The Old Covenant included; The 10 Commandments and the MOSAIC BOOK OF THE COVENANT...

1. GOD'S LAW (One scripture only as we already agree on this)

EXODUS 34 [28] And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the COVENANT, the TEN COMMANDMENTS.

and ...

2. THE MOSAIC BOOK OF THE COVENANT (Also part of the old covenant)

EXODUS 24 [7] And he took the BOOK OF THE COVENANT, and read in the hearing of the people: and they said, All that the LORD has said will we do, and be obedient.

DEUTERONOMY 31:26 [26] TAKE THIS BOOK OF THE LAW, and put it in the side of the ark of the COVENANT of the LORD your God, that it may be there FOR A WITNESS AGAINST THEE.

DEUTERONOMY 29:21 [21] And the LORD shall separate him unto evil out of all the tribes of Israel, ACCORDING TO ALL THE CURSES OF THE COVENANT that are WRITTEN IN THE BOOK OF THE LAW.

EXODUS 24 [7], And he took the BOOK OF THE COVENANT, and read in the audience of the people: and they said, All that the LORD has said will we do, and be obedient.

DEUTERONOMY 29 [21], And the LORD shall separate him to evil out of all the tribes of Israel, according to all the curses of the COVENANT THAT ARE WRITTEN IN THIS BOOK OF THE LAW.

DEUTERONOMY 31 [26], Take this BOOK OF THE LAW, and put it in the SIDE OF THE ARK OF THE COVENANT of the LORD your God, that it may be there for a witness against you.

2 KINGS 23 [2], And the king went up into the house of the LORD, and all the men of Judah and all the inhabitants of Jerusalem with him, and the priests, and the prophets, and all the people, both small and great: and HE READ IN THEIR EARS ALL THE WORDS OF THE BOOK OF THE COVENANT which was found in the house of the LORD.

2 KINGS 23 [3], And the king stood by a pillar, and made a covenant before the LORD, to walk after the LORD, and to keep his commandments and his testimonies and his statutes with all their heart and all their soul, TO PERFORM THE WORDS OF THIS COVENANT THAT WERE WRITTEN IN THIS BOOK. And all the people stood to the covenant.

2 KINGS 23 [21], And the king commanded all the people, saying, KEEP THE PASSOVER OF THE LORD your God, AS IT IS WRITTEN IN THE BOOK OF THIS COVENANT.

2 CHRONICLES 34 [30], And the king went up into the house of the LORD, and all the men of Judah, and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and the priests, and the Levites, and all the people, great and small: and HE READ IN THEIR EARS ALL THE WORDS OF THE BOOK OF THE COVENANT that was found in the house of the LORD.

2 CHRONICLES 34 [31] And the king stood in his place, and made a covenant before the LORD, to walk after the LORD, and to keep his commandments, and his testimonies, and his statutes, with all his heart, and with all his soul, TO PERFORM THE WORDS OF THE COVENANT WHICH ARE WRITTEN IN THE BOOK.

yep its not just the 10 Commandments...

HEBREWS 9:1 [1] Then verily THE FIRST COVENANT HAD ALSO ORDINANCES of divine service, and a worldly sanctuary. [9] Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience;[10] WHICH STOOD ONLY IN MEATS AND DRINKS, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation.[12] NEITHER BY THE BLOOD OF GOATS AND CALVES, BUT BY HIS OWN BLOOD he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

EPHESIANS 2 [15] HAVING ABOLISHED in his flesh the enmity, even the LAW OF COMMANDMENTS CONTAINED IN ORDINANCES; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;[16] And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby

EZEKIEL 46 [14] And thou shalt prepare a meat offering for it every morning, the sixth part of an ephah, and the third part of an hin of oil, to temper with the fine flour; a MEAT OFFERING continually by a perpetual ORDINANCE unto the LORD.

NUMBERS 19 [2] This is the ORDINANCE OF THE LAW which the Lord hath commanded, saying, Speak unto the children of Israel, that they bring thee a red heifer without spot, wherein is no blemish, and upon which never came yoke:

HEBREWS 10 [1] For THE LAW HAVING A SHADOW of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with THOSE SACRIFICES WHICH THEY OFFERED YEAR BY YEAR continually make the comers thereunto perfect.[2] For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins. [3] But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year.[4] For IT IS NOT POSSIBLE THAT THE BLOOD OF BULLS AND OF GOATS SHOULD TAKE AWAY SINS.

What laws are written on the heart in the NEW COVENANT promise? It is not the MOSAIC laws for remission of sin...

JEREMIAH [31], Behold, the days come, says the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:[32], NOT ACCORDING TO THE COVENANT THAT I MADE WITH THEIR FATHERS in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt ; MY COVENANT WHICH THEY BROKE, although I was a husband unto them, says the LORD:[33], But THIS SHALL BE MY COVENANT THAT I SHALL MAKE WITH THE HOUSE OF ISREAL; After those days, says the LORD, I WILL PUT MY LAWS IN THEIR INWARD PARTS, AND I WILL WRITE IT IN THEIR HEARTS AND THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE; [34], And they shall teach no more every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, says the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

2 CORINTHIANS 3 [2], You are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men: [3], Since you are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, WRITTEN NOT WITH INK, BUT WITH THE SPIRIT OF THE LIVING GOD; NOT IN TABLES OF STONE, BUT IN THE FLESHLY TABLES OF THE HEART. (see all of 2 COR 3)

The NEW COVENANT promise of LOVE is God's LAW (10 Commandments) written on the heart to LOVE through faith (ROMANS 13:8-10)

……………………………

CONCLUSION; Jesus did not come to change or destroy GOD'S LAW (10 Commandments). It is through GOD's LAW that we have a KNOLWEDGE of what SIN is. The sabbath is still to be kept. He came to fulfil what was written of Him in the books of the law and to END the Mosaic law for remission of SIN and the penalty of SIN in those who BELIEVE

yep it is the SHADOW laws that are fulfilled in Christ. The OLD COVENANT is made up of God's 10 Commandments and the Shadow laws in ORDINANCES from the MOSAIC BOOK OF THE COVENANT.

You have your shadow laws mixed up with God's eternal LAW that give us a KNOWLEDGE of what sin is if broken. * ROMANS 3:20; ROMANS 7:7; JAMES 2:11; 1 JOHN 3:4
Jeremiah and Hebrews both say the New Covenant replaced the Old. The Old = the Ten Commandments and their peripheral doctrines and laws.

Upvote 0