DID JESUS REALLY BREAK ANY OF GOD'S LAW?

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi all,

Some teach that Jesus broke God's Commandments (e.g. the SABBATH). IF Jesus Broke the SABBATH which is the 4th Commandment (Exodus 20:8-11) according to scripture this would make Jesus a sinner.

1 JOHN 3:4 Whoever commits sin transgresses also the law: for SIN IS THE TRANSGRESSION OF THE LAW.

If Jesus broke God's Commandments he would then be a sinner. If Jesus broke God's LAW and was a sinner then how could he be our perfect sacrifice and the lamb of God that takes away all the sins of the World if he has his own sins to bare?

For me I believe God's WORD teaches Jesus did not break any of God's LAWS that is why he is able to take our sins on himself to offer us his righteousness to all those who BELIEVE and FOLLOW his WORD. Jesus did not come to abolish God's LAW but to fulfill it (Matthew 5:17-18).

DID JESUS REALLY BRAKE GOD'S 4th COMMANDMENT (SABBATH) OR THE PHARASEES INTERPRETATION OF IT?

In the days of Jesus the religious teachers of the day had placed so many man made traditions around Sabbath keeping that it had become a burden to the people. It was though in their eyes MANKIND was made for the Sabbath. It was so bad in fact that these religious teachers were constantly looking for ways to accuse Jesus of breaking the Sabbath (Matthew 12:1-2; 10; Mark 3:2; Luke 6:1-2).

Jesus rebuked these religious teachers by saying that the Sabbath was made for MAN and NOT MAN for the SABBATH (Mark 2:27 and that he was the CREATOR or LORD of the Sabbath (Mark 2:28) and it was LAWFUL to do GOOD on the SABBATH (Matt 12:12)

The difference in what Jesus was teaching and what the Jews taight is that Jesus did God's WORK on the Sabbath and so should we everyday but God's WORK is not the work we are commanded NOT to do on God's Sabbath for it is lawful to do GOOD on the Sabbath. It is our own WORK that we are commanded not to do (Exodus 20:8-11)

A few other OLD TESTAMENT references from Jesus in relation to doing good in the Sabbath..

Have you not read what David did, when he was hungry, and they that were with him; How he entered into the house of God, and did eat the showbread, which was not lawful for him to eat, neither for them who were with him, but only for the priests?

Or have you not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless? Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath days, or to do evil? to save life, or to kill? How much then is a man better than a sheep? Therefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days.

BUT WHAT DOES GOD'S 4TH COMMANDMENT SAY?

Exodus 20
Remember the SABBATH DAY, to KEEP IT HOLY. <Why?> Because God made it Holy for mankind and commands us to keep it as a Holy day)
9, Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work:
10, But the SEVENTH DAY IS THE SABBATH of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: <WHY>
11, For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the SEVENTH DAY: wherefore the LORD BLESSED THE SABBATH, and HALLOWED IT.

Doing GOD'S WORK is NOT what the 4th Commandment is talking about please read it.

God's 4th Commandments says we are NOT to do OUR OWN WORK.

Yep NO secular business or paid work, no unnecessary domestic work, no buying and selling, shopping. This can be done on the other days of the week. God has made the SEVENTH DAY a HOLY DAY and we are to REST in HIM by FAITH in the LORD of the SABBATH. This is the 4th Commandment and one of the God's 10.

Jesus never broke any of his own Commandments especially the Sabbath which he created. This is what Jesus taught about the Sabbath in the NEW TESTAMENT.

There is not one scripture in all of God's Word that says that God's 4th Commandment is now ABOLISHED and we are now commanded to KEEP another day as a Holy day.

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS....? :)

May God bless you as you seek him through his Word :wave:

Last edited:

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
So if I don't go to church on Saturday am I a sinner? And if I choose to cut the grass or put in overtime at work after church am I sinning if I worked every other day also?

Hi Valetic, nice to meet you.

A good question but not really on the OP here. For me, I believe God's people are in all churches. Many live up to all the knowledge that God has given them and we all do things or have been taught things that may not be scriptural and may do some things in ignorance that may not be according to God's WORD.

As we grow in grace and the KNOWLEDGE of God's WORD then God expects us to change by faith as we BELIEVE and FOLLOW his WORDS.

As long as we are living up to all the light God has revealed to us then we are God's Children.

I consider all Christians everywhere my brothers and sisters in Christ no mater where they are. Only God knows who is really BELIEVING and FOLLOWING his WORD.

I will leave you with these scriptures to think about...

JAMES 4:17 Therefore to him that knows to do good, and does it not, to him it is sin.

ACTS 17:30-31 [30], And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commands all men every where to repent:[31], Because he has appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he has ordained; whereof he has given assurance to all men, in that he has raised him from the dead.

JOHN 10:16 [16], And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

JOHN 4: [23], But the hour comes, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeks such to worship him.
[24], God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Hope this helps. :wave:

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is what the Apostle John wrote on the subject. Scripture below.

Just to be clear, I don't think this meant Jesus was sinning.
I think he was setting the law aside.

John 5:18
For this reason they tried all the more to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God.

John 9:16
Some of the Pharisees said, “This man is not from God, for he does not keep the Sabbath.” But others asked, “How can a sinner perform such signs?” So they were divided.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi all,

Some teach that Jesus brake God's LAW (e.g. the SABBATH). IF Jesus Broke the SABBATH which is the 4th Commandment (Exodus 20:8-11). Does that make Jesus a sinner? (1 JOHN 3:4). If Jesus broke God's LAW and was a sinner then how could he be our perfect sacrifice and the lamb of God that takes away all the sins of the World if he has his own sins to bare?

For me I believe God's WORD teaches Jesus did not break any of God's LAWS that is why he is able to take our sins on himself to offer us his righteousness to all those who BELIEVE and FOLLOW his WORD. Jesus did not come to abolish God's LAW but to fulfill it (Matthew 5:17-18).

DID JESUS REALLY WORKE ON THE SABBATH?

In the days of Jesus the religious teachers of the day had placed so many man made traditions around Sabbath keeping that it had become a burden to the people. It was though in their eyes MANKIND was made for the Sabbath. It was so bad in fact that these religious teachers were constantly looking for ways to accuse Jesus of breaking the Sabbath (Matthew 12:1-2; 10; Mark 3:2; Luke 6:1-2).

Jesus rebuked these religious teachers by saying that the Sabbath was made for MAN and NOT MAN for the SABBATH (Mark 2:27 and that he was the CREATOR or LORD of the Sabbath (Mark 2:28) and it was LAWFUL to do GOOD on the SABBATH (Matt 12:12)

The difference in what Jesus was teaching and what the Jews taight is that Jesus did God's WORK on the Sabbath and so should we everyday but God's WORK is not the work we are commanded NOT to do on God's Sabbath for it is lawful to do GOOD on the Sabbath. It is our own WORD that we are commanded not to do (Exodus 20:8-11)

A few other OLD TESTAMENT references from Jesus in relation to doing good in the Sabbath..

Have you not read what David did, when he was hungry, and they that were with him; How he entered into the house of God, and did eat the showbread, which was not lawful for him to eat, neither for them who were with him, but only for the priests?

Or have you not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless? Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath days, or to do evil? to save life, or to kill? How much then is a man better than a sheep? Therefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days.

BUT WHAT DOES GOD'S 4TH COMMANDMENT SAY?

Exodus 20
Remember the SABBATH DAY, to KEEP IT HOLY. <Why?> Because God made it Holy for mankind and commands us to keep it as a Holy day)
9, Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work:
10, But the SEVENTH DAY IS THE SABBATH of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: <WHY>
11, For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the SEVENTH DAY: wherefore the LORD BLESSED THE SABBATH, and HALLOWED IT.

Doing GOD'S WORK is NOT what the 4th Commandment is talking about please read it.

God's 4th Commandments says we are NOT to do OUR OWN WORK.

Yep NO secular business or paid work, no unnecessary domestic work, no buying and selling, shopping. This can be done on the other days of the week. God has made the SEVENTH DAY a HOLY DAY and we are to REST in HIM by FAITH in the LORD of the SABBATH. This is the 4th Commandment and one of the God's 10.

Jesus never broke any of his own Commandments especially the Sabbath which he created. This is what Jesus taught about the Sabbath in the NEW TESTAMENT.

There is not one scripture in all of God's Word that says that God's 4th Commandment is now ABOLISHED and we are now commanded to KEEP another day as a Holy day.

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS....? :)

May God bless you as you seek him through his Word :wave:
The chief priests had a law against people carrying things outside of their homes during the Sabbath (Talmudic law). Carrying things was part of the 39 types of work they were not supposed to do on the Seventh day. When Jesus healed a paralytic at the Pool of Bethesda and told him to pick up his mat and walk, he was asking him to break a Sabbath commandment. Was this commandment to not carry items during the Sabbath a law of man or a law of God?

John 5 (WEB - Public Domain) A certain man was there, who had been sick for thirty-eight years. 6 When Jesus saw him lying there, and knew that he had been sick for a long time, he asked him, “Do you want to be made well?”

7 The sick man answered him, “Sir, I have no one to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up, but while I’m coming, another steps down before me.”

8 Jesus said to him, “Arise, take up your mat, and walk.”

9 Immediately, the man was made well, and took up his mat and walked.

Now it was the Sabbath on that day. 10 So the Jews said to him who was cured, “It is the Sabbath. It is not lawful for you to carry the mat.”

11 He answered them, “He who made me well, the same said to me, ‘Take up your mat, and walk.’”

12 Then they asked him, “Who is the man who said to you, ‘Take up your mat, and walk’?”

13 But he who was healed didn’t know who it was, for Jesus had withdrawn, a crowd being in the place.

14 Afterward Jesus found him in the temple, and said to him, “Behold, you are made well. Sin no more, so that nothing worse happens to you.”

15 The man went away, and told the Jews that it was Jesus who had made him well. 16 For this cause the Jews persecuted Jesus, and sought to kill him, because he did these things on the Sabbath. 17 But Jesus answered them, “My Father is still working, so I am working, too.” 18 For this cause therefore the Jews sought all the more to kill him, because he not only broke the Sabbath, but also called God his own Father, making himself equal with God.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No work of ANY kind is to be done on the Sabbath.
Remember, you were slaves in Egypt. (Deut.5:14)

Exodus 20:8-11
“Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.
9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work,
10 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God.
On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter,
nor your male or female servant, nor your animals,
nor any foreigner residing in your towns.
11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth,
the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day.
Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

Deuteronomy 5:12-15
“Observe the Sabbath day by keeping it holy,
as the Lord your God has commanded you.
13 Six days you shall labor and do all your work,
14 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God.
nor your male or female servant, nor your ox,
your donkey or any of your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns,
so that your male and female servants may rest, as you do.
15 Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the Lord your God
brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm.
Therefore the Lord your God has commanded you to observe the Sabbath day.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi Steven, welcome and nice to see you again :wave:

Here is what the Apostle John wrote on the subject. Scripture below. Just to be clear, I don't think this meant Jesus was sinning. I think he was setting the law aside.

What law did Jesus set aside? The MOSAIC laws for remission of sin from the MOSAIC BOOK of the COVENANT were all Shadow laws that were prophetic in nature all pointing to Jesus as our true sacrifice and God's plan of salvation under the NEW COVENANT. These were indeed set aside and fulfilled in Christ and why we no longer need to do sin offerings every time we commint sin as these laws shadow laws all pointed to Jesus and God's plan of salvation in the NEW COVENANT.

SCRIPTURE SUPPORT HERE CLICK ME. (Parts 1-6)

These however were not God's 10 Commandments which are said to be forever and the very standard of good and evil, sin and rightouesness in the OLD and NEW COVENANTS and the Judgment to come.

God's 10 commandments give us a KNOWLEDGE of what SIN is if broken (Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7; James 2:11; 1 John 3:4)

JESUS and all the APOSTLES TAUGHT THEM all through the NEW TESTAMENT scriptures and everyone of them is repeated in the NEW TESTAMENT.

For example take the scripture...

ROMANS 3:20 [20], 20, Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: FOR BY THE LAW IS THE KNOWLEDGE OF SIN.

If Jesus came to do away with the 10 commandments then now we have no KNOWLEDGE of what sin is. If we have no KNOWLEDGE of what SIN is then we have no need of a Saviour. If we have no need of a Savior then we have no salvation. If we have no salvation then we are lost because we are still in our sins and the scripture is fulfilled...

Romans 2:12[12], For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law.

* JESUS AND THE APOSTLES ALL TAUGHT THE 10 COMMANDMENTS HERE.
* ALL THE 10 COMMANDMENTS REPEATED IN THE NEW COVENANT CLICK ME.

The NEW COVENANT PROMISE is God's LAW writen in the HEART through FAITH to LOVE and LOVE is the fulfilling of the LAW in all those who BELIEVE and FOLLOW God's WORD (Hebrews 8:10-12) and is why Jesus says IF you LOVE me KEEP my COMMANDMENTS (John 14:15).

John 5:18 For this reason they tried all the more to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God.

John 9:16 Some of the Pharisees said, “This man is not from God, for he does not keep the Sabbath.” But others asked, “How can a sinner perform such signs?” So they were divided.

Steve, these scriptures are answered in the OP. Maybe you did not read it. This was only the false interpretation of the Jews in relation to Sabbath keeping as outlined in the scriptures in the OP where Jesus was correcting the Jew and showing them that it is lawful to do Good on the Sabbath and that the Sabbath was made for man not man for the Sabbath (see OP above).

Thanks for sharing your thought Steve

Hope this helps :wave:

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The chief priests had a law against people carrying things outside of their homes during the Sabbath (Talmudic law). Carrying things was part of the 39 types of work they were not supposed to do on the Seventh day. When Jesus healed a paralytic at the Pool of Bethesda and told him to pick up his mat and walk, he was asking him to break a Sabbath commandment. Was this commandment to not carry items during the Sabbath a law of man or a law of God?

John 5 (WEB - Public Domain) A certain man was there, who had been sick for thirty-eight years. 6 When Jesus saw him lying there, and knew that he had been sick for a long time, he asked him, “Do you want to be made well?”

7 The sick man answered him, “Sir, I have no one to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up, but while I’m coming, another steps down before me.”

8 Jesus said to him, “Arise, take up your mat, and walk.”

9 Immediately, the man was made well, and took up his mat and walked.

Now it was the Sabbath on that day. 10 So the Jews said to him who was cured, “It is the Sabbath. It is not lawful for you to carry the mat.”

11 He answered them, “He who made me well, the same said to me, ‘Take up your mat, and walk.’”

12 Then they asked him, “Who is the man who said to you, ‘Take up your mat, and walk’?”

13 But he who was healed didn’t know who it was, for Jesus had withdrawn, a crowd being in the place.

14 Afterward Jesus found him in the temple, and said to him, “Behold, you are made well. Sin no more, so that nothing worse happens to you.”

15 The man went away, and told the Jews that it was Jesus who had made him well. 16 For this cause the Jews persecuted Jesus, and sought to kill him, because he did these things on the Sabbath. 17 But Jesus answered them, “My Father is still working, so I am working, too.” 18 For this cause therefore the Jews sought all the more to kill him, because he not only broke the Sabbath, but also called God his own Father, making himself equal with God.

Hi dqhall, great post!

Absoutely, this is what was being shared in the OP that the JEWS were making so many rules and regulations regarding the Sabbath that it had become a burden to the people, so much so that it was if MAN was made for the Sabbath.

Good points. Thanks for sharing Hi dqhall.

May God bless you as you seek him through his Word. :wave:

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
No work of ANY kind is to be done on the Sabbath.
Remember, you were slaves in Egypt. (Deut.5:14)

Exodus 20:8-11
“Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.
9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work,
10 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God.
nor your male or female servant, nor your animals,
nor any foreigner residing in your towns.
11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth,
the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day.
Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

Deuteronomy 5:12-15
“Observe the Sabbath day by keeping it holy,
as the Lord your God has commanded you.
13 Six days you shall labor and do all your work,
14 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God.
nor your male or female servant, nor your ox,
your donkey or any of your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns,
so that your male and female servants may rest, as you do.
15 Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the Lord your God
brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm.
Therefore the Lord your God has commanded you to observe the Sabbath day.

Steve none of those scriptures you quote here say you are not to do any work of any kind. The scriptures are in reference to doing your own WORK of any kind. It is not a reference to doing GOOD on the SABBATH which is what Jesus came to teach in relation to the SABBATH.

MARK 2:27 [27], And he said to them, THE SABBATH WAS MADE FOR MAN, AND NOT MAN FOR THE SABBATH.

MATTHEW 12:12 [12], How much then is a man better than a sheep? THERFORE IT IS LAWFUL TO DO WELL ON THE SABBATH.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Steven, welcome and nice to see you again :wave:

Steve, these scriptures are answered in the OP. Maybe you did not read it. This was only the false interpretation of the Jews in relation to Sabbath keeping as outlined in the scriptures in the OP where Jesus was correcting the Jew and showing them that it is lawful to do Good on the Sabbath and that the Sabbath was made for man not man for the Sabbath (see OP above).

Thanks for sharing your thought Steve

If you believe that Jesus was setting an example for Sabbath-keeping, he surely did a terrible job of it.

The people saw him as a Sabbath-breaker rather than a Sabbath-keeper. He was constantly creating issues surrounding the Sabbath. Even commanding other to break the Sabbath law, which I believe he was setting aside.

John 5:18 For this reason they tried all the more to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God.

John 9:16 Some of the Pharisees said, “This man is not from God, for he does not keep the Sabbath.” But others asked, “How can a sinner perform such signs?” So they were divided.

• Agree
Reactions: expos4ever
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Steve none of those scriptures you quote here say you any work of any kind. The scriptures are in reference to doing your own WORK of any kind. It is not a reference to doing GOOD on the SABBATH which is what Jesus came to teach in relation to the SABBATH.

MARK 2:27 [27], And he said to them, THE SABBATH WAS MADE FOR MAN, AND NOT MAN FOR THE SABBATH.

MATTHEW 12:12 [12], How much then is a man better than a sheep? THERFORE IT IS LAWFUL TO DO WELL ON THE SABBATH.

Hope this helps.
Explain what Jesus meant when he said that man is not made for the sabbath.

Does that not mean that we are more important than Sabbath law?

Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If you believe that Jesus was setting an example for Sabbath-keeping, he surely did a terrible job of it.

The people saw him as a Sabbath-breaker rather than a Sabbath-keeper. He was constantly creating issues surrounding the Sabbath. Even commanding other to break the Sabbath law, which I believe he was setting aside.

Not really Steve :),

God's WORD teaches that the JEWS were doing a terrible Job about teaching Sabbath-keeping. In the days of Jesus the religious teachers of the day had placed so many man made traditions around Sabbath keeping that it had become a burden to the people. It was though in their eyes MANKIND was made for the Sabbath. It was so bad in fact that these religious teachers were constantly looking for ways to accuse Jesus of breaking the Sabbath (Matthew 12:1-2; 10; Mark 3:2; Luke 6:1-2).

The difference in what Jesus was teaching and what the Jews taight is that Jesus did God's WORK on the Sabbath and so should we everyday but God's WORK is not the work we are commanded NOT to do on God's Sabbath for it is lawful to do GOOD on the Sabbath. It is our own WORK that we are commanded not to do (Exodus 20:8-11)

• Agree
Reactions: Chinchilla
Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi all,

Some teach that Jesus brake God's LAW (e.g. the SABBATH). IF Jesus Broke the SABBATH which is the 4th Commandment (Exodus 20:8-11). Does that make Jesus a sinner? (1 JOHN 3:4). If Jesus broke God's LAW and was a sinner then how could he be our perfect sacrifice and the lamb of God that takes away all the sins of the World if he has his own sins to bare?

He did not , there was no commandment of " thu shalt not heal sick on Sabbath" or "thu shalt not give blind sight on Sabbath " . Phariasies themselves would do for example circumcision on Sabbath if it was the 8th day .

Also the Law was for Men , he was Son of God . As Jesus said he was the LORD of Sabbath and that God works always he takes no rest.

This is in fact not the first time , the first time was when he was in pre-incarnated form leading Jews to the battle of Jerycho on Sabbath .

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think people today know Jesus did not break the Sabbath.
He broke the Pharisee's Sabbath rules. I highly doubt there are people today saying Jesus broke the Sabbath. If there are it should be fairly easy to set them right.

When the Sabbath was instituted it was so the Israelites would learn they could depend on God.
It was at the same time they were to receive manna. God told them the first 5 days they would get just enough for that day. When they tried to save it till the next day it bred worms and stank.
But on the sixth day they were to gather enough for 2 days, and it did not breed worms or stink.
God was showing His power and reliability.
Then there was the Sabbath for the land.
The fifth year they would get a triple crop to sustain them till they could get another crop in the second year.

This took a lot of faith not to plant a crop.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Explain what Jesus meant when he said that man is not made for the sabbath.

Does that not mean that we are more important than Sabbath law?

Hi Steve,

Great question. This was explained in the previous post. In the days of Jesus the religious teachers of the day had placed so many man made traditions around Sabbath keeping that it had become a burden to the people. It was though in their eyes MANKIND was made for the Sabbath. This is why Jesus said to them.

MARK 2:27-28 [27], And he said to them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:[28], Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

The Sabbath was made for mankind as a time of rest with God to enjoy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not really Steve :),

God's WORD teaches that the JEWS were doing a terrible Job about teaching Sabbath-keeping. In the days of Jesus the religious teachers of the day had placed so many man made traditions around Sabbath keeping that it had become a burden to the people. It was though in their eyes MANKIND was made for the Sabbath. It was so bad in fact that these religious teachers were constantly looking for ways to accuse Jesus of breaking the Sabbath (Matthew 12:1-2; 10; Mark 3:2; Luke 6:1-2).

If what you are saying is true then it should have been carried forward into the teaching of the Apostle Paul for gentiles. What does the Apostle Paul say SPECIFICALLY about Sabbath-keeping?

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I think people today know Jesus did not break the Sabbath.
He broke the Pharisee's Sabbath rules. I highly doubt there are people today saying Jesus broke the Sabbath. If there are it should be fairly easy to set them right.

When the Sabbath was instituted it was so the Israelites would learn they could depend on God.
It was at the same time they were to receive manna. God told them the first 5 days they would get just enough for that day. When they tried to save it till the next day it bred worms and stank.
But on the sixth day they were to gather enough for 2 days, and it did not breed worms or stink.
God was showing His power and reliability.
Then there was the Sabbath for the land.
The fifth year they would get a triple crop to sustain them till they could get another crop in the second year.

This took a lot of faith not to plant a crop.

Hi Doug,

Absolutely, great post. This is the point here in the OP I guess. If Jesus broke his own laws then he could not be our perfect sacrifice. Out of all the 10 commandments given by God only the 4th shows who the owner is and why we as his people should trust him. He is the creator of HEAVEN and EARTH and did so by the power of his WORD. This is the same WORD we find salvation!

Gob bless Doug thanks for shaing your thoughts :wave:

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Sabbath was a sign between God and the Israelites alone.

Exodus 31:13
Say to the Israelites, ‘You must observe my Sabbaths.
This will be a sign between me and you for the generations to come,
so you may know that I am the Lord, who makes you holy.

Ezekiel 20:12, 20
Also I gave them my Sabbaths as a sign between us,
so they would know that I the Lord made them holy.
20 Keep my Sabbaths holy, that they may be a sign between us.
Then you will know that I am the Lord your God.”

Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If what you are saying is true then it should have been carried forward into the teaching of the Apostle Paul for gentiles. What does the Apostle Paul say SPECIFICALLY about Sabbath-keeping?

Hi Steve,

This is getting side tracked from the OP a little but Paul speaks generally about ALL of the 10 commandments here are some of the things Paul says about God's 10 Commandments of which the SABBATH is the 4th commandment..

1. Paul teaches God's people keep the Sabbath Hebrews 4.
2. Paul tells gentiles that "what matters is KEEPING the Commandments of GOD" 1 Corinthians 7:19
3. Paul tells gentiles "it is not the HEARERS of the Law that are just before God but the DOERS of the Law will be justified... on the day when according to my GOSPEL God will judge all mankind" Romans 2:13-16
4. Paul asks that gentiles consider the doctrine of LAW "Do we then make void the LAW of God by our faith? God forbid! In fact we establish the Law of God" Romans 3:31
5. Paul tells ALL Christians that it is only the lost who will "not subject themselves to the Law of God neither indeed CAN they" Romans 8:6-8
6 Paul reaches all Christians under the NEW Covenant that God's LAW as known in Jeremiah 31:31-33 is "written on the heart and mind" Hebres 8:8-10
7. Paul tells all Christians that the OT text is to be used for Doctrine 2 Timothy 3:16
AND He never claims that "if I did not write it -- it is not scripture for us today" -- as one or two have imagined for us.
8. Paul tells all Christians that the 5th commandment is the "FIRST commandment with a promise" Ephesians 6:1-2 and is binding on all Christians.
9. God's Law (10 commandments) are holy, just and good (Romans 7:12)
10. God's Law gives us a knowledge of what sin is (Romans 3:20; 7:7)
11. The penalty of breaking God's Law without Jesus is death (Romans 6:23)
12. If we break God's Law we dishonor God (Romans 2:23)
13. If we sin we are "under the Law" and guilty before God (Romans 3:19)
14. We are saved by faith but our faith establishes the Law in us (Romans 3:31)
15. If we are saved by grace we should not break God's Law (Romans 6:1-7)
16. We should not break God's Law if we are under grace (Romans 6:15)
17. We are to serve the Law of God through the mind because that is where sin starts (Romans 6:17; 7:25; 8:4; 12:2)
18. It is God's Law that brings us to Jesus (Galatians 3:24)
19. God's salvation frees us from sin so we can be obedient to God's Law and live a life of holiness (Romans 6:22)
20. We will be judged by God's Law and only those that are obedient will be justified because of their faith (Romans 2:4-13)
21. God's Law can only be obeyed through love and a changed heart which comes by faith in God's Word (Romans 2:21-29; 13:9-10; Hebrews 8:9-10)
22. If we break God's Law and are in unrepentant sin we will be lost and will received God's judgements (Hebrews 10:26-27)

Paul speaks specifically about God's 4th Commandment here..

WHAT IS HIS (God's) REST IN HEBREWS 3 and HEBREWS 4?

Hebrews 4
Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into HIS REST, any of you should seem to come short of it.
2, For to us was the gospel preached, as well as to them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
3, For we which have believed do enter into REST, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
For he spoke in a certain place of the SEVENTH DAY on this wise, And God did REST the SEVENTH DAY from all his works.
And in this place again, If they shall enter into my REST.

God's REST is the SEVENTH DAY SABBATH REST OF CREATION (v4-5). Those who BELIEVE GOD's WORD enter into God's SABBATH REST as GOD does on the SEVENTH DAY of the week. This is a direct reference to GENESIS 2:1-3 to God's REST on the SEVENTH DAY of the creation week (please GENESIS 2:1-3)

6, Seeing therefore it remains that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:
7, Again, he limits a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if you will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
8, For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
9, There remains a SABBATH REST to the people of God.
For he that is entered into his REST (SABBATH REST), he also has ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
11, Let us labor therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

KEY POINTS OF HEBREWS 4

v1-5
God's promised rest is from BELIEVING the GOSPEL (Word of God) and links directly to God's SEVENTH DAY SABBATH REST from creation in GENESIS 2:1-3
v6 None enter into God's REST without BELIEVING and FOLLOWING God's WORD
v6-7 (see Heb 3:13) If we harden out heart by SIN and UNBELIEF we cannot enter God's REST through the Gospel
v-7-8 The true rest of the Gospel of Christ is the other rest spoken of another day in David (Psalms 95)
v9 God's people (those who BELIEVE and FOLLOW God's WORD) have HIS SABBATH REST (God's REST) Sabbatismos

CONCLUSION
: Hebrews 3 and HEBREWS 4 is saying ONLY those who BELIEVE and FOLLOW God's WORD enter into the Gospel rest and only those who enter the Gospel rest enter into God's 4th commandment's SABBATH REST.

There is much more in the NEW TESTAMENT from the other Apostles and writers if you are interested SCRIPTURE SUPPORT HERE CLICK me.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0