Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The alcohol is only a small percentage of wine and beer. They are mostly water with the second component being sugars.

Red wine would be 86% water, 12% alcohol, 2% other stuff (with less than 0.1% sugar).

DWVr_fiX0AIE7lm.jpg

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Red wine would be 86% water, 12% alcohol, 2% other stuff (with less than 0.1% sugar).

Beer would have around 4% carbohydrates (sugars and polysaccharides) and about the same of alcohol. The balance between the two would depend on the type of beer.

There would also be small quantities of dietary fibre (0.2%), protein (0.3%), vitamins (0.001%) and minerals (0.1%).

This pint of stout, for example, contains a third of your recommended daily intake of copper, vitamin B3, and vitamin B6:

img_7006.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sounds just like Rat Poison:

Wine to gladden the heart of man, oil to make his face shine and bread to strengthen man’s heart - Ps 104:15

The Bible does not say the same about rat poison, which in fact has totally different ingredients.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The7thColporteur

Jun 30, 2017
Heavenly City
✟18,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Wine to gladden the heart of man, oil to make his face shine and bread to strengthen man’s heart - Ps 104:15
You found the fruit of the vine text, I already gave. Nothing alcoholic in it, notice the connection to the fruit of the field, trees, hills [not distilleries]:

Psalms 104:13 KJB - He watereth the hills from his chambers: the earth is satisfied with the fruit of thy works.

Psalms 104:14 KJB - He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man: that he may bring forth food out of the earth;

Psalms 104:15 KJB - And wine that maketh glad the heart of man, and oil to make his face to shine, and bread which strengtheneth man's heart.

Thus the "corn/bread, wine and oil" of the harvest. Grape Juice is full of invigorating properties. Notice the oil of the olive isn't rancid, but of the trees, the bread/grain is for strength and isn't processed white dead bread, but instead whole grains. Alcohol strengthens only confusion, sickness, numbing of the senses, leading into death [Proverbs 31:6,7 KJB].
Psalms 104:16 KJB - The trees of the LORD are full of sap; the cedars of Lebanon, which he hath planted;​

Of course, how could a drinker of alcohol rightly discern the pure word of God? truth is, they cannot be trusted to make right decisions, as their judgment is impaired.

Proverbs 31:4 KJB - It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink:

Proverbs 31:5 KJB - Lest they drink, and forget the law, and pervert the judgment of any of the afflicted.​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for the link, I quickly read through and will probably go back at a slower pace later.

In just commenting, I am not really arguing about two specific "wines", as if there were only two such wines in the Bible, but I am arguing the inherent "nature" [the pure, unalcoholic & the corrupted, alcoholic] of two "kinds" of "wine". The Bible mentions many types of 'wines' or alcohol, such as through the grapes, raisins, honey, barley or grain [beer type], other fermented fruits, a vinegar, liquor, strong drink, mixed, spiced, and so on.

Anyways, thank you for the link again brother.

You are most welcome.

May God bless you.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Notice that the word "wine" by itself means the fermented juice of grapes. Other meanings use a qualifying word, e.g. "currant wine."

But the point is that the dictionary says that wine can be either fermented and or unfermented. This has to be taken under consideration when reading the Bible. Context should determine the word's use. People act like the word "wine" only means alcoholic (Which is simply not true). Unfermented wine is a wine that is not alcoholic.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

There is no nutritional value in alcoholic beverages in most alcoholic beverages. That is why there are no nutritional labels on them. Your body has to fight against the alcohol.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes. Psalm 104 says the same thing.

No, it says wine gladdens the heart of man. But to what degree does it gladden the heart of man? To the point of being drunk?

This can very well be talking about regular grape juice or fermented wine diluted with 3 parts of water (So it is not strong in alcoholic content). My heart can be glad or happy in regular foods. A food or drink does not need to be alcoholic for my heart to be glad in it.

See, that's the problem with alcoholic beverages. I am a light weight. One white Russian and I am feeling really crazy. How does one know if they are a light weight? Do they get drunk on their first drink to find out? Scripture repeatedly tells us to be sober-minded (1 Peter 1:13 KJV) (1 Peter 4:7 KJV) (1 Timothy 3:2 KJV) (1 Timothy 3:11 KJV) (Titus 1:8 KJV) (Titus 2:2 KJV) (Titus 2:4 KJV) (Titus 2:6 KJV) (Titus 2:12 KJV) (1 Thessalonians 5:6, 7, 8). For God's Word wants us to be sober minded for our adversary the devil, is a roaring lion, who walks about, seeking those whom he may devour (1 Peter 5:8 KJV). Paul even warns that drunkenness is the type of sin that will cause someone to not inherit the Kingdom of God, too (Galatians 5:21).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Greek and Roman custom was to take fully fermented wine, known Biblically as "strong drink" (about 16% alcohol), and cutting it with water to reduce the alcoholic content. My understanding is that was drunk at 4% to 8% according to taste. Beer was actually far more common than wine.

I agree that the Israelite mixed fully fermented wine with several parts of water. Scripture talks about the good version of mixing of wine and the bad version of mixing wine.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am a light weight. One white Russian and I am feeling really crazy.

Feel free to be teetotal.

But stop telling the rest of us what to do.

Scripture repeatedly tells us to be sober-minded (1 Peter 1:13 KJV) (1 Peter 4:7 KJV) (1 Timothy 3:2 KJV) (1 Timothy 3:11 KJV) (Titus 1:8 KJV) (Titus 2:2 KJV) (Titus 2:4 KJV) (Titus 2:6 KJV) (Titus 2:12 KJV) (1 Thessalonians 5:6, 7, 8).

You are using a bad translation of a dubious text into an archaic English that you clearly don't understand. The Greek σωφρονέω (to be self-controlled) is not about not drinking alcohol.

• Agree
Reactions: ☦Marius☦
Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟608,915.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There is no nutritional value in alcoholic beverages in most alcoholic beverages. That is why there are no nutritional labels on them. Your body has to fight against the alcohol.
Your body certainly seems to have taken up the fight!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
False.

False.

Calories from alcohol are 'empty calories', they have no nutritional value. Most alcoholic drinks contain traces of vitamins and minerals, but not usually in amounts that make any significant contribution to our diet.

Drinking alcohol also reduces the amount of fat your body burns for energy. While we can store nutrients, protein, carbohydrates, and fat in our bodies, we can't store alcohol. So our systems want to get rid of it, and doing so takes priority. All of the other processes that should be taking place (including absorbing nutrients and burning fat) are interrupted.

Source:
Calories in alcohol

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But the point is that the dictionary says that wine can be either fermented and or unfermented.

No, it does not say that. It says that wine means fermented grape juice, and that terms like currant wine mean fermented or unfermented juice of other plants.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Feel free to be teetotal.

But stop telling the rest of us what to do.

Scripture says I am to preach the Word (2 Timothy 4:2).

You said:
You are using a bad translation of a dubious text into an archaic English that you clearly don't understand. The Greek σωφρονέω (to be self-controlled) is not about not drinking alcohol.

So people had a bad translation for hundreds of years? Sorry, I am not buying that. Besides, the KJV has proven itself to be divine in origin. Biblical Numerics is just one of the ways that shows us this. Try watching a few videos by Mike Hoggard called the King James Code. If anything, he will present you facts in Scripture. What you do with those facts is up to you.

As for your saying that the Greek word means self controlled:

Well, lets look at 1 Peter 1:13. The definition for the Greek word "nēphō" (νήφω) is defined as "sober" in the Strong's Lexicon.

Genesis 1:1 (KJV)

Also, "self controlled" is the same thing as saying "sober." You cannot be drunk and also be "self controlled." It is a contradiction in terms. If you are self controlled you are also sober.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, it does not say that. It says that wine means fermented grape juice, and that terms like currant wine mean fermented or unfermented juice of other plants.

Yes, definition 3 is saying a juice that is either fermented or unfermented. Read it again. Here is another testimony.

1869_expanded.jpg

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Your body certainly seems to have taken up the fight!

Yes, I initially was not going to debate this again, but seeing I have changed my position on Romans 14 involving the word "wine" I decided to take up the sword on this matter.

Upvote 0