Did Jesus live with His parents till He was 30?

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hello! I have a question: According to Luke 3:23, "Jesus Himself began His ministry at about thirty years of age" (NKJV). Does this suggest He lived with His parents for 30 years? Thanks!

It may suggest it. But it doesn't say with any certainty. It would be wrong to say that something is a fact unless it's stated as such or is implied in such a way that it can't be concluded any other way.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hello! I have a question: According to Luke 3:23, "Jesus Himself began His ministry at about thirty years of age" (NKJV). Does this suggest He lived with His parents for 30 years? Thanks!

It is unknown. My answer to the question is that Joseph died early on and Jesus was adopted by an Essene master and taught their ways. The Essenes were an ascetic sect that rejected marriage, but would adopt the children of others and teach them their ways.

Fast forward a bit, the Essenes did not consider one of their own to be an elder, capable of teaching, until they reached 30 years of age.

So between 12 and 30 Jesus lived at what we would consider a monastery today. It might even have been around Qumran. It fascinates me to think that Jesus himself may have held the Dead Sea Scrolls in his own hands.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Possibly. But He owned a house (Mark 2:15). Carpenters, I am told, were builders in those days.

Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
It is unknown. My answer to the question is that Joseph died early on and Jesus was adopted by an Essene master and taught their ways. The Essenes were an ascetic sect that rejected marriage, but would adopt the children of others and teach them their ways.

Fast forward a bit, the Essenes did not consider one of their own to be an elder, capable of teaching, until they reached 30 years of age.

So between 12 and 30 Jesus lived at what we would consider a monastery today. It might even have been around Qumran. It fascinates me to think that Jesus himself may have held the Dead Sea Scrolls in his own hands.

This is completely extrabiblical. There's no evidence at all that Jesus was taught by the essenes. At 12 he was more knowledgeable in the law than the rabbis in Jerusalem.

Luke 2
41 His parents went to Jerusalem every year at the Feast of the Passover. 42 And when He was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem according to the custom of the feast. 43 When they had finished the days, as they returned, the Boy Jesus lingered behind in Jerusalem. And Joseph and His mother did not know it; 44 but supposing Him to have been in the company, they went a day’s journey, and sought Him among their relatives and acquaintances. 45 So when they did not find Him, they returned to Jerusalem, seeking Him. 46 Now so it was that after three days they found Him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, both listening to them and asking them questions. 47 And all who heard Him were astonished at His understanding and answers.

By the way, there's Joseph alive when Jesus was 12.

• Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This is completely extrabiblical. There's no evidence at all that Jesus was taught by the essenes. At 12 he was more knowledgeable in the law than the rabbis in Jerusalem.

Luke 2
41 His parents went to Jerusalem every year at the Feast of the Passover. 42 And when He was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem according to the custom of the feast. 43 When they had finished the days, as they returned, the Boy Jesus lingered behind in Jerusalem. And Joseph and His mother did not know it; 44 but supposing Him to have been in the company, they went a day’s journey, and sought Him among their relatives and acquaintances. 45 So when they did not find Him, they returned to Jerusalem, seeking Him. 46 Now so it was that after three days they found Him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, both listening to them and asking them questions. 47 And all who heard Him were astonished at His understanding and answers.

By the way, there's Joseph alive when Jesus was 12.

That would be why I said "it is unknown".

But if you read Josephus' description of the Essenes, and the Dead Sea Scrolls, you will find the underpinnings of the teachings of Christianity.

Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
That would be why I said "it is unknown".

But if you read Josephus' description of the Essenes, and the Dead Sea Scrolls, you will find the underpinnings of the teachings of Christianity.

The whole old testament is the underpinnings of Christianity. If the essenes preached something that was similar to Christ's teaching, it was because they learned from him, not he from them.

• Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Gregorikos

Ordinary Mystic
Dec 31, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

So we have Jesus in the temple at age 12 in Luke 2:42, and he has both of his parents. You're suggesting that an Essene master adopted him later that same year. Yet when Jesus left the temple he went home with both parents (Luke 2:51) and spent time learning from them. (Luke 2:51-52)

Why would we think Jesus was adopted by an Essene master as a child?

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
So we have Jesus in the temple at age 12 in Luke 2:42, and he has both of his parents. You're suggesting that an Essene master adopted him later that same year. Yet when Jesus left the temple he went home with both parents (Luke 2:51) and spent time learning from them. (vv 51-52)

Why would we think Jesus was adopted by an Essene master as a child?

That is my own theory that I base on the gospels and my knowledge of the ancient Essenes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It sounds as though Christ lived in Nazareth, with or near His Mother, and family. Scripture does reference Christ being associated with Mary and Joseph, and other relatives described as brothers and sisters.

Mark 6:1-3

John 1:45-46

John 6:41-42

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,123.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My assumption is that He lived with both His parents (mother and step-father, as Joseph wasn't His real father) till Joseph died, and then He lived with His mother, until He began His ministry.

While I think Christ's declarations from the cross have a much wider meaning (viz. Mary is our spiritual mother also, and we are her sons, with John standing as proxy for all disciples then and for all time), He also nominated John (as the "disciple whom He loved") to literally care for His mother as He would no longer be able to do so.

John 19:26-27 When Jesus saw His mother and the disciple whom He loved standing nearby, He said to His mother, “Woman, here is your son.” Then He said to the disciple, “Here is your mother.” So from that hour, this disciple took her into his home.

The implication is that He lived with His mother until He started His ministry, after Joseph had died at some unknown earlier date. If He had literal brothers, He could have handed her over to them instead of one of His disciples, which implies the "brothers" weren't literal brothers, but part of an extended community.

However Joseph would have lived long enough to teach Jesus his trade of carpentry, starting at age 12, after they had returned from the visit to Jerusalem when Christ stayed behind at the temple.

A History of Woodworking & It's Influence in Civilization

Recorded in the Gospels of Matthew and Mark, we find that Jesus’ adopted father Joseph was a carpenter. In the Jewish culture of that time (1st century), the father was required to teach the son his trade at age 12. Being a good Jew, Joseph would have followed this practice and began teaching Jesus at 12 his carpentry trade.

My guess is that Joseph died when Christ was in His early to mid twenties eg. 22-25. But that's a guess, no better than anybody else's thoughts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0