Did Jesus know his death would only last three days?

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟932,333.00
Faith
Atheist
How do you account for the story of the rich man begging for a drop of water in Luke 16:19-31. I don't see any discernible message from that other than a warning against eternal conscious torment.
To be honest, I forgot about that story just now. So I looked up the apologetics for that. The answer given by annihilationists is that the Rich Man and Lazarus are in Hades (Lazarus is across a gulf in "Abraham's bosom".) This is a holding place prior to the final judgment. This part isn't eternal. After the judgment, the soul would be annihilated.

(Feel to ask more questions. But before you hold my feet to the flames, recall that I don't believe any of it anymore. ;) )

ETA: I didn't look too deeply for this answer. Here's the link I cribbed from: Lazarus and the Rich Man: It’s Not About Final Punishment

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
To be honest, I forgot about that story just now. So I looked up the apologetics for that. The answer given by annihilationists is that the Rich Man and Lazarus are in Hades (Lazarus is across a gulf in "Abraham's bosom".) This is a holding place prior to the final judgment. This part isn't eternal. After the judgment, the soul would be annihilated.

(Feel to ask more questions. But before you hold my feet to the flames, recall that I don't believe any of it anymore. ;) )

ETA: I didn't look too deeply for this answer. Here's the link I cribbed from: Lazarus and the Rich Man: It’s Not About Final Punishment

That would mean that people are punished and tortured before even being judged, which is nonsensical. I don't see the point of having a Judgement Day when everyone has already been judged.

• Agree
Reactions: Tinker Grey
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The quote "as Jonah was in the belly of a whale for three days so the Son of Man ..." (paraphrased) doesn't seem like a very good explanation of the significance of three days.

Somewhere I read that ...

I think I prefer what Jesus said to something that you think maybe you read somewhere once.

Upvote 0

miknik5

"Let not your heart be troubled"
Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That would mean that people are punished and tortured before even being judged, which is nonsensical. I don't see the point of having a Judgement Day when everyone has already been judged.
You should read John 5 and understand there is a difference between those who have heard the voice of the SON of GOD now and those who haven’t heard the voice of the SON of GOD yet

Those who have heard HIS VOICE now have already passed from death to life and will not suffer the second death

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As I commented earlier, I said I was blending annihilationism with universalism. If you look up some stuff on the former, you can see how that position jibes (arguably, of course) with what Jesus said. The short version is that all (nearly) references say something on the order of "destruction". Jesus said, e.g., "Fear the one who can destroy the soul." A soul kept for eternal torture can't be said to be destroyed. Taken at face value, the soul is annihilated. Universalism is harder. Someday if you like, I'll tell you my blend of the two.
Follow up my last comment (to nihilist) with revelation 20.

There is a final end to hell and death and those who suffer the second death who are raised to condemnation

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How do you account for the story of the rich man begging for a drop of water in Luke 16:19-31. I don't see any discernible message from that other than a warning against eternal conscious torment.
In that parable , What did Abraham s say to the rich man when the rich man said send someone to my brothers to warn them

Should I remind you:

pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house: 28For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment. 29Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them. 30And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent. 31And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@miknik5

Nothing you have said to me is relevant to any conversation I'm involved with.
There’s a judgement day even if you don’t see the sense in having one

Even though those who die without believing the Gospel are separated from those who die believing the Gospel (those who die who have heard the gospel and have believed have already passed from death to life and their absence from their body is present with the lord).
there’s a hell sir

I thought you’d understand that since in the end and after judgement as revelation 20 shows death and hades (that’s hell) are cast into the lake of fire

A time will come just as John 5 says when all will rise and be judged

That means their spirits will reenter their bodies and they will be raised from their graves to be judged before the throne of GOD

These are all those who did not have a part in the first resurrection

Blessed and holy are those who have a part in the first resurrection

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All I wrote was in response to your above post to tinker grey

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
By the way. With regards to the parable of the rich man ONE (who did rise from
The dead) did go unto the rich man’s brothers as 1 peter 3 shows.

And they did repent

It’s why HE led captivity in HIS train

Those in captivity believed

I mean how could they not
The LORD was before them and preached to them and anyone in that place would have wanted to get out if that place

Where did yo think HE was those three days before HE was raised

How terrible and unjust it would be if that generation who died prior to CHRIST physical coming into the world didn’t get a chance to hear the GOSPEL preached

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I think I prefer what Jesus said to something that you think maybe you read somewhere once.
Unfortunately, Jesus never wrote anything down, took any photographs, recorded his thoughts, or filmed any videos, so at best, it's hearsay recorded decades later.

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Unfortunately, Jesus never wrote anything down, took any photographs, recorded his thoughts, or filmed any videos, so at best, it's hearsay recorded decades later.
Except......

Never mind

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And no, Jesus doesn't communicate telepathically with you.
However. I wouldn’t use the word telepathically.

I don’t like it
It doesn’t reflect GOD’s TRUTH regarding THE PROMISE of GOD

Upvote 0