Did Jesus inherit original sin from Mary?

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,060.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some claim that original sin passes down through the male line only.

When He bore our sins on the cross did this include original sin or did He already have it?

Holy Spirit on the male side.

Humanity on the female side.

Where does original sin come into the equation?

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Who'd you have in mind?

When He bore our sins on the cross did this include original sin or did He already have it?
Jesus was innocent, which is essential to the meaning of the crucifixion. Although he was personally innocent and sinless, he went to the cross for the sins of others.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,313.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Some claim that original sin passes down through the male line

Yeah I just read that in another thread. I say its false. Original sin is a default of being born human in a fallen world.

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Good Day, Carl

The sin nature was passed down from Father to child (in Adam). Seeing Jesus did not have a father that was (in Adam) he did not poses the sin nature.

To quote Augustine the flawed stock of Mary had no impact on her first born Jesus the Son of God.

In Him,

Bill

• Agree
Reactions: Deus Vult!
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married

We all know, or should know, that the theory of Original Sin is based on the notion that we are a fallen race, unworthy of God because of the sin of our primeval parents Adam and Eve. St Augustine further developed the theory by stating that the stain of the Original Sin was passed on to the children through the seed of the father.

The notion that Original Sin was passed on through the father's seed, somewhat like a spiritual HIV virus, turns out to have been inherently flawed. We must realize, that at that point in history, it was believed that the father, and the father only, contributed what we would today call the genetic make up or DNA of the child. What they called the male seed was regarded as containing an entire nascent human being. As a consequence, they regarded any wastage of the seed as tantamount to murder. This explains why masturbation, coitus interuptus and even homosexual acts were considered to be serious sins. The role of the woman was solely that of providing the warm nurturing environment for the developing child. She had no genetic contribution to make. Since she contributed nothing to the make up of the child, she could, of course, not be the agency through which Original Sin was passed on. Of course the mother herself was cursed with Original Sin but this flaw in her was not felt to have any bearing on the state of the child.

Now when we link these notions to the Nativity story we get further complications. Mary was believed to have become pregnant through the agency of God. God of course contributed the seed (genetic material) and Mary's role for the next nine months was as a nurturing womb. Jesus was born sinless because of course God was sinless. The stain of the Original Sin did not afflict him. It did not matter that Mary was afflicted with the sin.

This entire theory fell apart several centuries ago when it was discovered by microscopic studies that the mother did indeed contribute genetically to the child. She of course supplied the egg cell to be fertilized by the male sperm.

Reactions: Jezabella
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
A member posting on another thread.
Okay. When you said "some claim," it looked like you had in mind a particular cult or religious movement or something like that.

If it's just one person musing about the matter...the fact is that there is virtually no one in Christian history to side with him.

He may be thinking that when the Bible says that all men are born in sin, it means males only, but of course that language means all children of Adam and Eve.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Did 'our sins' include original sin?
It does not appear so.

"...so Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many. To those who eagerly wait for Him He will appear a second time, apart from sin, for salvation." Hebrews 9:28 NKJV

If He would have died for Original Sin, at its root, His death would have been applied to everybody (but it wasn't).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
This is going to be hard to settle Scripturally, since Scripture doesn't contain the theory of original sin to begin with. Personally I think it belittles Jesus' obedience, if he had a different type of human nature that wasn't subject to sin in the first place.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,060.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1Pet 2:24 "He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed..."

Are we of the understanding that the sin He took on the cross for us was personal sin and original sin?

Are we saying that Mary's DNA contributed humanness and not original sin?

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
  • Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,060.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Heb 4:15
For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin.

Temptation is not sin so are we more subject to temptation through original sin?

Sorry this is a topic with rather thin biblical evidence...

• Useful
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No human is born sinful, such teaching is a fallacy. We are all God's offspring Acts 17:28 teaches, of course we all know God does not give polluted gifts but only pure ones.

Acts 17:28 "For in him we live and move and have our being.’ As some of your own poets have said, ‘We are his offspring.’"

In my books original sin needs to be understood to be more developmental than genetic. Parents, siblings, family and the whole world around us introduce sin to us, not conception. It is true that genetically we can become prone to certain sin but it doesn't mean that we are smeared by it already before we are born. Deliberate disobedience to God/Truth introduces sins into our lives.

i believe Jesus humanness opened Him up to be tempted just like any of us is, but the Godly Seed overcame everything, as He did. If Jesus was not fully human then He would not be able to save us from our sins but because He was tempted just like us He can share His Victory over darkness with us.

All praise to Jesus

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,313.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
In my books original sin needs to be understood to be more developmental than genetic. Parents, siblings, family and the whole world around us introduce sin to us, not conception. It is true that genetically we can become prone to certain sin but it doesn't mean that we are smeared by it already before we are born. Deliberate disobedience to God/

In my view, if we were NOT born with original sin, we would be born like Adam before the fall. We would be born with that same restituted relationship with God.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi carl,

It's my understanding that the zygot of Jesus had neither mother or father in its DNA. The zygot was placed in the womb of Mary by the Holy Spirit already complete. I don't think that we are to understand that the Holy Spirit had some sort of sexual relation with Mary and his sperm, for lack of a better word, implanted an egg from Mary's womb. The zygot was already fertilized, if that's what it would have required, and growing to fruition when, in its first days stage, it was implanted in the womb of Mary.

So, while Jesus was born as a man, I don't believe that he had any human DNA from either his earthly father or mother in his biological makeup. Thus, he was not born with the seed of original sin that the Scriptures speak of being passed down from Adam, whether that sin nature could only come from the male side or the female side.

That's my 2¢ worth.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,060.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is going to be hard to settle Scripturally, since Scripture doesn't contain the theory of original sin to begin with. Personally I think it belittles Jesus' obedience, if he had a different type of human nature that wasn't subject to sin in the first place.

Yes but we have a 'flesh nature' and Jesus didn't because He didn't sin. So there was no 'war' between the Spirit and the flesh... it seems all His temptations were spiritual in nature.
I am happy to be corrected...

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi carl,

It's my understanding that the zygot of Jesus had neither mother or father in its DNA. The zygot was placed in the womb of Mary by the Holy Spirit already complete. I don't think that we are to understand that the Holy Spirit had some sort of sexual relation with Mary and his sperm, for lack of a better word, implanted an egg from Mary's womb. The zygot was already fertilized, if that's what it would have required, and growing to fruition when, in its first days stage, it was implanted in the womb of Mary.

So, while Jesus was born as a man, I don't believe that he had any human DNA from either his earthly father or mother in his biological makeup. Thus, he was not born with the seed of original sin that the Scriptures speak of being passed down from Adam, whether that sin nature could only come from the male side or the female side.

That's my 2¢ worth.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

This suggests that Mary was a surrogate mother.

• Agree
Reactions: Deus Vult!
Upvote 0