GreenEyedLady

My little Dinky Doo
Jan 15, 2002
Missouri
Visit site
✟4,791.00
Faith
Baptist
I know that this is probally a not so meaning ful question.
I see Jesus pictured so many places.
So...what do you all think...long or short hair?
I think short and here is why...
1 Corinthians 11:14  Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

If this is the case, why are so many pictures portrayed with long hair?
GEL

ZooMom

Thanks for the memories...
Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
How long is 'long'? Past the collar? To the waist? In between?

I think the the reference to 'long' in that passage carries the implication of 'as a woman'. And don't forget that Samson's hair was his strength, as it represented his commitment to God.

Upvote 0

GreenEyedLady

My little Dinky Doo
Jan 15, 2002
Missouri
Visit site
✟4,791.00
Faith
Baptist
I have seen some pf his pictures as white but alot of them I have seen are Jesus looking more like a middle eastern person.
I would think he looked more like that.
I think it is funny how people portray him...and even the angels. The bible NEVER mention wings yet there they are in the pictures. The bible never mentions halos but there they are....wierd.
GEL

Upvote 0

Lizzi4Christ

I'm worth waiting for.
Feb 13, 2002
It doesn't matter... my home is Heaven!
✟8,050.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Jesus had short hair and olive colored skin. The type of Jew He was, He had short hair becasue of tradition and the area where He lived, He must have had darker skin. At least that's what my youth pastor told me :)

Upvote 0

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
Originally posted by lucypevensie
Yeah, what is a halo anyway? And what's with the sunburst behind His head that you see so much???

The halo is just an artistic device to show someone is special. It distinguishes Jesus, angels, and the saints from ordinary people.

Upvote 0
My pastor said that he learned in college that Jesus probably had shorter hair than is portrayed in the pictures and he definitely wasn't white. If you look at pictures in Comparative Religion books of older hebrews they were dark. Not to say they were black..but they weren't white.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Peacebestill

JESUS IS LORD
Apr 5, 2002
Visit site
✟8,719.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus was from Nazareth. It is thought that the tradition of the Nazarenes was to wear their hair long.

Matthew 2:23
And he went and dwelt in a city called Nazareth, that what was spoken by the prophets might be fulfilled, "He shall be called a Nazarene."

Jesus was quite frequently refered to by people as "The Nazarene" leading me to wonder if he was perhaps easily identified as such by his hair.

Numbers 6:5
"All the days of his vow of separation no razor shall come upon his head; until the time is completed for which he separates himself to the LORD, he shall be holy; he shall let the locks of hair of his head grow long.

http://www.holycross-hermitage.com/pages/orthodox_life/longhair.htm

Upvote 0

GreenEyedLady

My little Dinky Doo
Jan 15, 2002
Missouri
Visit site
✟4,791.00
Faith
Baptist
Originally posted by Peacebestill
Jesus was from Nazareth. It is thought that the tradition of the Nazarenes was to wear their hair long.

Matthew 2:23
And he went and dwelt in a city called Nazareth, that what was spoken by the prophets might be fulfilled, "He shall be called a Nazarene."

Jesus was quite frequently refered to by people as "The Nazarene" leading me to wonder if he was perhaps easily identified as such by his hair.

Numbers 6:5
"All the days of his vow of separation no razor shall come upon his head; until the time is completed for which he separates himself to the LORD, he shall be holy; he shall let the locks of hair of his head grow long.

http://www.holycross-hermitage.com/pages/orthodox_life/longhair.htm

Judges 13:5  For, lo, thou shalt conceive, and bear a son; and no razor shall come on his head: for the child shall be a Nazarite unto God from the womb: and he shall begin to deliver Israel out of the hand of the Philistines.

WOW....well there is the answer. He had long hair!
Cool...Thanks for the verse..as you can see I found another one!
The halo thing...from what I have read in history books it was a symbol of the sun god that the church adopted to identify who was a saint, or God and who was not in pictures and statues.
Not sure if I really agree on the whole halo thing!
What about wings on the angles...whats up with that? I understand that cheribums had wings but NOT angels! Wonder who started that?!?!?!
GEL

Upvote 0
Originally posted by ZooMom
Give me a break. It's not a symbol of 'the sun god'. :rolleyes: How else would you portray holiness in a picture? Christ is our Light, He is in us, He shines forth from us. Radiance, light, halo...it's really not that big a leap. :)

Good Post Zoomom..I agree!

Upvote 0

E-beth

Senior Contributor
Feb 6, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
✟20,861.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I read in a bible study once that Jesus most likely had long hair, a beard, was olive skinned and dark-haired, and--this really interested me-- was incredible built. Carpenters of the time built houses and things and had to lift heavy stuff, so Jesus was probably pretty buff!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GreenEyedLady

My little Dinky Doo
Jan 15, 2002
Missouri
Visit site
✟4,791.00
Faith
Baptist
Zoo-
When you wrote "give me a break" I sensed a little attitude. But thats ok, I understand your ignorance about this topic on halos. But please, open your mind and your heart, and read the information below. As you will read below the catholic religion acknowledges that the halos were a pagan symbol.

Why is a halo put on the head of a statue of a Saint, and what is its symbolic meaning?
The halo, or circle, which is supposed to represent a ring of light, is symbolic of the light of grace bestowed by God. It may be regarded in art as the development of the aureole, the nimbus and the gloria.
The aureole is a cloud or glow of light in oval form surrounding the whole figure. The nimbus is a cloud or glow of light around the head. The gloria is light emanating from the body.
The halo or nimbus around the head of Christ is symbolic of His divinity.
The pagans used such devices before the Christian Era to signify power and majesty or prominence. Even in the Christian Era the symbols were used for famous personages, but Pope Urban III (1623- 1644) forbade the use of the nimbus for persons who are not at least beatified.

Source: The Catholic Universe Bulletin, Official Newspaper of the Cleveland Diocese, August 14th, 1942, The Question Box.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the plastic arts (painting and sculpture) the symbolism of the nimbus was early in use among the pagans who determined its form. In the monuments of Hellenic and Roman art, the heads of the gods, heroes, and other distinguished persons are often found with a disc-shaped halo, a circle of light, or a rayed-fillet. They are, therefore, associated especially with gods and creatures of light such as the Phoenix. The disc of light is likewise used in the Pompeian wall paintings to typify gods and demigods only, but later, in profane art it was extended to cherubs or even simple personifications, and is simply a reminder that the figures so depicted are not human. In the miniatures of the oldest Virgil manuscript all the great personages wear a nimbus. The custom of the Egyptian and Syrian kings of having themselves represented with a rayed crown to indicate the status of demigods, spread throughout the East and the West. In Rome the halo was first used only for deceased emperors as a sign of celestial bliss, but afterwards living rulers also were given the rayed crown, and after the third century, although not first by Constantine, the simple rayed nimbus. Under Constantine the rayed crown appears only in exceptional cases on the coin, and was first adopted emblematically by Julian the Apostate. Henceforth the nimbus appears without rays, as the emperors now wished themselves considered worthy of great honour, but no longer as divine beings. In early Christian art, the rayed nimbus as well as the rayless disc were adopted in accordance with tradition. The sun and the Phoenix received, as in pagan art, a wreath or a rayed crown, also the simple halo. The latter was reserved not only for emperors but for men of genius and personifications of all kinds, although both in ecclesiastical and profane art, this emblem was usually omitted in ideal figures. In other cases the influence of ancient art tradition must not be denied.

Source: The Catholic Encyclopedia, 1913 edition, online - Nimbus.

Upvote 0

ZooMom

Thanks for the memories...
Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by GreenEyedLady
Zoo-
When you wrote "give me a break" I sensed a little attitude.
If you did, it wasn't directed at you, but at the 'ignorance' of people who believe that any part of the Christian faith represents paganism.
But thats ok, I understand your ignorance about this topic on halos.
How very big of you. What is it exactly that you 'understand' about my 'ignorance'?
But please, open your mind and your heart, and read the information below. As you will read below the catholic religion acknowledges that the halos were a pagan symbol.
No, the Church acknowledges that pagans used similar symbols to represent similar concepts.

The halo, or circle, which is supposed to represent a ring of light, is symbolic of the light of grace bestowed by God. It may be regarded in art as the development of the aureole, the nimbus and the gloria.
The aureole is a cloud or glow of light in oval form surrounding the whole figure. The nimbus is a cloud or glow of light around the head. The gloria is light emanating from the body.
The halo or nimbus around the head of Christ is symbolic of His divinity.
Which is exactly what I said. Paraphrased, of course.

Upvote 0

GreenEyedLady

My little Dinky Doo
Jan 15, 2002
Missouri
Visit site
✟4,791.00
Faith
Baptist
Originally posted by ZooMom
Give me a break. It's not a symbol of 'the sun god'. :rolleyes: How else would you portray holiness in a picture? Christ is our Light, He is in us, He shines forth from us. Radiance, light, halo...it's really not that big a leap. :)

What I am doing here is SHOWING you that the HALO was used by the pagans. It was adopted by the christians. This is not a debate on which church uses pagan symbols and which does not.
I am responding to this comment you said above. Read the last paragraph in my last post. I never said that the halo WAS that pagan sun god..but the idea WAS adopted by the RCC from the pagans.
Thanks all?!
GEL

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.