• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Did Jesus have brothers and sisters born of Mary

Discussion in 'Mariology & Hagiography' started by LittleLambofJesus, Sep 9, 2009.

Did Mary have children after Jesus was born

1. Yes, I/we believe Mary had children after Jesus was born

2. No. I/we believe she did not have children after Jesus

3. I am not sure

4. Does it matter?

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Philothei

Philothei Love never fails

+2,634
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Still the question remains where it is in the Bible....

And also where in the Bible it says that ALL we should know about God we should know them through the Bible? I do not recall reading that...;)

2. Mobiosity

Mobiosity American by birth; Southern by the grace of God.

+182
    Methodist
    Private
    The Bible is acknowledged as God's word to us. Anything outside of that is the conjecture of man.

3. polishbeast

polishbeast Servant of Jesus

+62
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Republican
    I think you are misunderstanding what I said. In the same way the word Trinity isnt used in the Bible, the word Ever-Virginity isnt mentioned but it is taught in the exact same way as the Trinity

4. Philothei

+2,634
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    So you are adminting that the Holy Trinity is a conjecture of man? Since it is defenately a term used "outside" of the Bible...

5. Mobiosity

+182
    Methodist
    Private
    God the Father, Jesus Christ, and Holy Spirit as one is in The Bible. The term trinity is not. The virginity of Mary is a given at Jesus birth. The mention of His brothers and sisters certainly makes her virginity after Jesus' birth unlikely.

6. Mobiosity

+182
    Methodist
    Private
    The term is certainly a device of man to make mentioning Father, Son and Holy Spirit less cumbersome.

7. daydreamergurl15

daydreamergurl15 Daughter of the King

+359
    Christian
    The word "Trinity" is not in the bible, the word "Godhead" is. And that consist of the Father, The Son and the Holy Spirit. And to continue on that note, is an entirely different thread.

But the idea of Mary being a virgin forever is not found in scripture. She was a virgin when she had Christ, and fulfilled the prophesy. God allowed her to marry Joseph and we are told that they knew each other sometimes after she gave birth to Christ, I am assuming after she also gave purification for herself because she was unclean because she gave birth (Luke 2:22-24), you also found out that in that passage, Mary and Joseph was of modest means (Lev. 12:8). And some here have tried to suppress the verses that tells us that Jesus had brothers and sisters but if you are truly one seeking the truth in scripture, then you have to take these scriptures for what it says. Simply by changing the words "brothers" and "until' and make them fit a dogma that you want it to fit, doesn't change the context of what scripture says.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  8. lionroar0

lionroar0 Coffee drinker

+631
    Catholic
    Single
    Actually I don't think it is. It's probably a translation and/or translitiration(sp?) of something else.

9. Philothei

+2,634
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married

It truly does not matter it still not in the Bible. Trying to rationalize it... or not. The three persons are but the tern is not ....Why use the term and agree on a term that is not mentioned in the Bible...

Where does it say in the bible that ALL truth about God is in the Bible?

10. Philothei

+2,634
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    1.where does it say that he knew her After Mary gave brith...that is not what it says....Where does it say she did had relations with Joseph?

2. suppressing ? We are not suppressing ...the text says brother but in Greek that is not that Brother or sister is used for the same as you use it in America here....it does mean in the spiritual or fillial sense...both are included.

3. Where in the scripture it says Mary did not remain virgin. Where in the scripture it says "Mary had more children from Joseph" ?

11. daydreamergurl15

+359
    Christian
    Matthew 1:24-25
    Then Joseph, being aroused from sleep, did as the angel of the Lord commanded him and took to him his wife, and did not know her till she had brought forth her firstborn Son. And he called His name JESUS.

The Greek word that everyone is throwing around "adelphos" means EITHER brother and sister in the literal sense or brother and sister in the spiritual sense, and you determine which, by the context that word is used, and if you read the context of where it call Christ's brother, it takes away the idea that the word "brother" means disciple. Why? Well go ahead and read Mark 6:1-6, the people that would have known Christ the most, would be the Nazarenes who grew up with Him, and it is they who name His brothers. They specifically said in verse 3:
    "Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary and brother of James and Joses and Judas and Simon? And are not His sisters here with us?" And they took offense at Him."​
    And Jesus responded in verse 4 as saying
    "And Jesus said to them, "A prophet is not without honor, except in his hometown and among his relatives and in his own household." ​
    Please be aware that we are told that Jesus was preaching on the Sabbath day in the Synagogue and His disciples were with Him, but it was not their name that the person spoke of when they named His brothers.

And the word for cousin in Greek is "anepsios" and that is not what was said in those verses.

Isn't it interested, In the New Testament, some are called brothers and sisters, Peter and Andrew, James the son of Zebedee and John, Mary and Martha, yet we never question where it means brother or sister in the spiritual sense, but once the scripture tell us that Jesus had brothers and sisters, all of a sudden, it's a big deal, and that word in the context, does really mean what it says it does. Interesting, isn't it.

Does it have to say that "Mary had more children from Joseph"? Could it not say and then imply that when Jesus had brothers and sisters, they were His Mother's and Joseph's kids. For we are not told that she remarried, or that she had kids from another man, so why then when they speak of her children, should I not assume that they are from Joseph. And the sheer fact that we know that He had brothers and sisters, already implies that she had sex after she gave birth to Christ. Again, so does Matthew 1:24-25.

12. daydreamergurl15

+359
    Christian
    The word "Love" is a transliteration, which has 4 means in the Greek word, but we understand which one based on context.

But if you look in Colossians 2:9, you will realize that the word "Godhead" is referring to Christ and whether that means "something else", I don't know, I just know that scripture puts Him part of the Godhead. :)

13. lionroar0

lionroar0 Coffee drinker

+631
    Catholic
    Single
    Maybe Greek speakers can correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remember right, there is a word or 2 that mean "blood brothers and/or sisters."

If I'm right that word and/or words would be used instead of adelphos which could mean a number of different relations.

14. lionroar0

lionroar0 Coffee drinker

+631
    Catholic
    Single
    Yes it does but it does not explain more on that relationship.

15. Dorothea

Dorothea One of God's handmaidens

+2,397
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Divorced
    US-Others
    Just paraphrasing here, but doesn't John say that Christ did much more while he was doing his ministry, but there wasn't room to put it all in the writings??

16. Dorothea

Dorothea One of God's handmaidens

+2,397
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Divorced
    US-Others
    Are you also Greek like Philothei is?

17. Philothei

+2,634
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Question still remains: Why do you use the word TRinity meaning Godhead? God head does not specify the number either... so you "add" into the word of God...

18. Philothei

+2,634
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Absolutely the context has lots to with the word adelfos as the same word is used.... when it says "your brothers and sisters " it means kinship ;) that is the whole point here...It can mean even his fellow villagers. It is used to mean that ...

BTW you are wrong since the word LOVE in greek has different names :eros, agape etc. so depending on the word it gets translated accordingly....not according to context ;)

19. Philothei

+2,634
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Yup in the very end of the Gospel of John....:) thanks for remind me Dorothea ;) :thumbsup::hug:

20. prodromos

prodromos Senior Veteran Supporter

+9,029
    Australia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Not that I know of.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.