Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Did Jesus drink the sour wine and gall when he was hanging on the cross? What are the ramifications if he did? Would that mean he wouldn't have taken the full brunt of God's wrath for sin?

He tasted it, but drank no more. I think it's pure speculation to assume what it would mean if he had drank it, but this seems reasonable to me:

Matthew 27:34 (Dake Study Bible Notes)
It was customary to give a stupefying potion to intoxicate and help alleviate sufferings (Prov. 31:6), but Christ refused it so as to suffer the full penalty for sin, sober and in His right mind.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
He drank it near the time he was going to die.

Joh 19:28 After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst.
Joh 19:29 Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar: and they filled a spunge with vinegar, and put it upon hyssop, and put it to his mouth.
Joh 19:30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.

• Agree
Reactions: Religiot
Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟760,777.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The purpose was to increase the choking/laboured breathing effected of Crucifixion. To take it would be to hasten death, something Jesus could not do if He were to fulfil His mission of doing the will of the Father alone.

But don't scriptures say that he took it?

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,518.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
But don't scriptures say that he took it?
Luke does not, Matthew does not, Mark does not ( all three say it was offered) John alludes to it but not clearly. John begs the question was Jesus wrong in saying He would not do His own will (hastening His death) or was John perhaps wrong or written poorly giving it a different assumption to the other three. Saying Jesus was thirsty would likely not mean He would drink a mixture of vinegar and gall to hasten death. It would more likely mean He was thirsty and seeking water would it not? The vinegar would have been a final insult to God, the intent to kill, not aide.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
John alludes to it but not clearly.

John is very clear that Jesus did receive it. The only real debate is whether it was only vinegar/wine or if it also contained the gall. Matthew says he was first offered it with gall in it but Luke speaks of the same exact event but doesn't mention the gall. I think that is a good argument that the vinegar he did drink had gall in it but like Luke John doesn't bother to mention it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So Jesus willingly hastened His own death?

That drink was not something that hastened the death. It was a pain killer to reduce the suffering.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,518.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
That drink was not something that hastened the death. It was a pain killer to reduce the suffering.
Crucifixion is death by lung failure basically, shortness of breath like bronchial asthma. Vinegar was used to hurry the process as was breaking the legs to add more strain.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Crucifixion is death by lung failure basically, shortness of breath like bronchial asthma. Vinegar was used to hurry the process as was breaking the legs to add more strain.

Vinegar does not hurry the process of dying on a cross. It mixed with myrrh was a pain killer to ease the suffering. Smoke from a fire could hurry up such a death but not Vinegar nor myrrh.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Ever inhale vinegar with an asthma attack?

Nothing was inhaled. He drank a small amount from a sponge because he was thirsty. He was almost dead from his injuries etc. Nothing was going to sped that up.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Did Jesus drink the sour wine and gall when he was hanging on the cross? What are the ramifications if he did? Would that mean he wouldn't have taken the full brunt of God's wrath for sin?
it was in fulfillment of Ps. 69:21 "They gave Me also gall for My meat; and in My thirst they gave Me vinegar to drink."

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I think it was forced to him. And I have no reason to think it was a problem, or would have been a problem, if he would have voluntarily done so.

• Winner
Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Ever drink vinegar?

It was a Roman sour wine called Posca and it had some Myrrh in it. I doubt anyone has drank that in hundreds of years.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,518.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It was a Roman sour wine called Posca and it had some Myrrh in it. I doubt anyone has drank that in hundreds of years.
Ok, you are obviously unwilling to consider from a secular viewpoint that vinegar was used in the process of crucifixion to hasten death by asphyxiation. Whatever narrative you wish. It really isn't relevant to the Kingdom of God.

Upvote 0