Down in Mary's Land
✟29,390.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Unleavened bread doesn't leven itself with age. Wine just ferments and you cannot prevent that.

Nitpick. A mixture of flour and water WILL ferment with age (sourdough). Once the bread is baked, however--i.e. the conditions for yeast respiration stop--this process will stop.

Reactions: MsVicki
Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yet that was merely a symbol for one situation, and was not the symbol in the passover meal as it had always been celebrated. When Jesus assigned new meanings to the bread and wine, I it is a stretch to say that he assigned the unlevenedness to mean sinlessness.

Paul was an agent of God who that sort of symbolism was introduced through. He was the agent of Christ. So, Jesus introduced this factor indirectly by means of the Spirit, to Paul.

As seen in...
1 Corinthians 5:8 (New American Standard Bible)
"Therefore let us celebrate the feast, not with old leaven, nor with the leaven of malice and wickedness, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth."

Jesus was without sin. After all, he was called the Lamb of God "without spot or blemish." Peter also was led of the Spirit into this truth...

1 Peter 1:18-19 (New American Standard Bible)
"Knowing that you were not redeemed with perishable things like silver or gold from your futile way of life inherited from your forefathers, but with precious blood, as of a lamb unblemished and spotless, the blood of Christ."

Jesus did not have to assign the new symbolism directly while on earth. That was accomplished through the Spirit to the Church after the church age began.

The physical defects of a lamb chosen for sacrifice represent sin, as well. Jesus did not have to assign that meaning directly at the last supper. It could be assigned later on. After all, the bread represented his body. And, his body was without sin. = No leaven.

God would only receive a lamb sacrifice that had no physical defect. It was symbolic of the sinlessness of the Messiah.

Symbolism saturated issues found in the Law which was a shadow of the realities to come.

1 Corinthians 9:9-10 (New International Version)
"For it is written in the Law of Moses: "Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain." Is it about oxen that God is concerned? Surely he says this for us, doesn't he? Yes, this was written for us, because when the plowman plows and the thresher threshes, they ought to do so in the hope of sharing in the harvest."

So be it...

Grace and peace, GeneZ

Upvote 0

Pennelope

Jun 30, 2007
Ann Arbor, MI
Visit site
✟7,944.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Communion uses unleavened bread and wine because that's what Jesus used when he instituted it. And he used it because it was a Seder meal, and that's what the Passover celebration includes.

But the symbolism of being a people on a journey, not making our home in this world, is something that speaks to me. Other deeper meanings might mean a lot to other people.

Upvote 0

D.W.Washburn

The Artist Formerly Known as RegularGuy
Mar 31, 2007
United States
✟17,408.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Grape juice as we know it was unknown until Welch (wouldn't it be fun if he were a teetotaler?) invented a way to treat it so it wouldn't ferment. Before the Industrial Revolution, no one would know what you were referring to if you used the term. There was no such thing.

Thomas Bramwell Welch (1825-1903) was a Prohbitionist. He was a Methodist, and it was among Methodists that the Temperance movement got it's start. Welch sold his pasteurized grape juice to churches for use as a non-alcoholic alternative for Communion.

For what it is worth, and for the many reasons stated above, Jesus drank alcoholic wine.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thomas Bramwell Welch (1825-1903) was a Prohbitionist. He was a Methodist, and it was among Methodists that the Temperance movement got it's start. Welch sold his pasteurized grape juice to churches for use as a non-alcoholic alternative for Communion.

Interesting. Thanks for that tid bit of history.

For what it is worth, and for the many reasons stated above, Jesus drank alcoholic wine.

It was the only type of wine they knew!

Psalm 104:14-15 (New International Version)
"He makes grass grow for the cattle,
and plants for man to cultivate—
bringing forth food from the earth:

wine that gladdens the heart of man,
oil to make his face shine,
and bread that sustains his heart."

They gave no thought for wine being alcoholic. Just like we give no thought for yogurt having fermentation.

Grace and peace, GeneZ

Upvote 0

michristke

Prayer Warrior for God
Nov 21, 2007
Visit site
✟24,568.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes Jesus drank wine. As others have mentioned it is not the use but the abuse. This also goes for eating which we need to live. Gluttony or over eating is a sin. Money is not evil but the love of money (abuse of it) is. You could apply this to anything good.

Upvote 0

Windmill

Legend
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2004
New Zealand
Visit site
✟38,797.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am a Seventh Day Adventist, but I will say yes Jesus drank wine. Wine is spoken about as fine- blatantly obviously- in the bible, the exception being if your drunk.

At the same time though, the Bibles strong words about the effects of alcohol ("Wine is a mocker" etc) certainly suggest for you to have it in moderation.

Ideally we shouldn't drink wine at all though ourselves and we should preserve our bodies. Back then was a different time period, and wine was often a key source of their daily fluids. Today we can have fresh, healthy water.

When Jesus was on the cross he turned down alcohol to keep his mind sharp. If we drink alcohol, then we open our minds to being weakened by others and our emotions.

Wine also by many is not drunk in moderation. It would be better to ban it, because lets face it so many people lack self control. The wine itself is not needed, and it causes crime and fights, so why have it?

But that is beside the point- Jesus drank it, IMHO.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am a Seventh Day Adventist, but I will say yes Jesus drank wine. Wine is spoken about as fine- blatantly obviously- in the bible, the exception being if your drunk.

At the same time though, the Bibles strong words about the effects of alcohol ("Wine is a mocker" etc) certainly suggest for you to have it in moderation.

Ideally we shouldn't drink wine at all though ourselves and we should preserve our bodies. Back then was a different time period, and wine was often a key source of their daily fluids. Today we can have fresh, healthy water.

When Jesus was on the cross he turned down alcohol to keep his mind sharp. If we drink alcohol, then we open our minds to being weakened by others and our emotions.

Wine also by many is not drunk in moderation. It would be better to ban it, because lets face it so many people lack self control. The wine itself is not needed, and it causes crime and fights, so why have it?

But that is beside the point- Jesus drank it, IMHO.

Reasoning like that would drive me to drink! ;)

Wine with a meal is both good for digestion, and for lowering bad cholesterol. Two doctors told me that a glass of red wine does as much good for the body's cholesterol as running.

The Lord would not have turned water into wine if what you claimed were true. Red wine is a very healthy beverage. I feel better after a meal with a glass of red wine than if I did not have it. Its good for digestion.

Grapes and peace, GeneZ

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gareth

Jan 3, 2008
South Woodham Ferrers, Essex.
✟9,834.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Marital Status
Single
I know Jesus drank wine, but was it fermented wine? The Gospels talk about old wine and new wine. Could old wine be fermented wine and new wine unfermented wine? I just have a hard time believing that Jesus would drink something that has such harmful effects on the body--even in moderation.

What are your thoughts?
Interestingly grapes come in two forms: eating and wine-making varieties. You can't eat a grape destined for wine making and vice versa with one exception, the Muscat grape. Jesus like many of his time drank wine. The passover is one example of this. When instituting the Lord's Evening Meal just before his death Jesus used the wine and unleavened bread from the Passover. That wine was present and that Jesus and his Disciples were enjoying the Passover meal is just one of the ways to prove Jesus drank wine. Also in some places water was not safe to drink, carrying as it does in some places water-bourne diseases and parasites.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Interestingly grapes come in two forms: eating and wine-making varieties. You can't eat a grape destined for wine making and vice versa with one exception, the Muscat grape. Jesus like many of his time drank wine. The passover is one example of this. When instituting the Lord's Evening Meal just before his death Jesus used the wine and unleavened bread from the Passover. That wine was present and that Jesus and his Disciples were enjoying the Passover meal is just one of the ways to prove Jesus drank wine. Also in some places water was not safe to drink, carrying as it does in some places water-bourne diseases and parasites.

OK, everybody.

Go to the wine section of your favorite super market. Look for the section with Manishevitz wine. If its Passover time? You will see that the wine was approved by a board of rabbis which was produced in accordance with the strict laws for Passover. Its alcoholic wine. Not grape juice.

Jews did not drink grape juice. There was no way for it to exist, unless they stomped the grapes and drank it right from the vat. Even then, it was beginning usually to ferment.

The Jews would have laughed at you if you asked for it at a Jewish wedding. They would not have known what it was. At the wedding Jesus turned the water into the greatest vintage tasting wine.

Cheers!
wine.gif

Grace and peace! GeneZ

Upvote 0

NostalgicGranny

Senior Veteran
Sep 2, 2007
Texas
✟25,776.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reasoning like that would drive me to drink! ;)

Wine with a meal is both good for digestion, and for lowering bad cholesterol. Two doctors told me that a glass of red wine does as much good for the body's cholesterol as running.

The Lord would not have turned water into wine if what you claimed were true. Red wine is a very healthy beverage. I feel better after a meal with a glass of red wine than if I did not have it. Its good for digestion.

Grapes and peace, GeneZ
I wholeheartedly agree with this. Plus the bible also says to give wine to the heavy hearted.

As to not having wine because some people abuse it - they abused it back in biblical times as well. That's why the bible repeatedly warns against being drunken. We don't hold a moratorium on lacking will power - it's been that way since God created Adam and Eve.

People abuse food too, but no one is saying lets do away with food because some people have no will power.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I will drink no wine before its time? Or easier
still from the book of Proverbs, "Wine is a mocker"
barf.gif

Get the context.

The Bible also says fornication is sin. Yet? Does that mean sex in marriage is sin?

The Bible says that getting drunk is a sin. Having wine with dinner is not. Having a glass of wine to relax is good for the circulatory system.

Don't become like one of the following people that Jesus had to rebuke!

"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon!' "The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Behold, a gluttonous man and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!'

Matthew 11:18-19? Read it? Jesus did not drink 'grape juice.' There was no grape juice back then. They could not accuse him of being a drunkard unless he drank wine.

One can not get drunk on grape juice. They accused Jesus of being a drunkard!!!

Jesus drank wine like everyone else! Its good for your health.

Wine - getting drunk - is not the only mocker. The one who rejects what the Word tells us, is a mocker of those who abide in Truth. Be careful not to become like the ones Jesus had to rebuke! The Lord HATED legalism.

In Christ, GeneZ

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I will drink no wine before its time?

Ironically.. What you wrote means waiting until its fermented and finished as being a wine. He will not drink the substance before its ready as wine. "Before its time." :doh:

Upvote 0

Gareth

Jan 3, 2008
South Woodham Ferrers, Essex.
✟9,834.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Marital Status
Single
Slightly off and yet on the subject ( it's late and my brain is fuzzy from...cider) in Matt. 26:29 Jesus says that he will no more drink of any more of the product of the vine, until he drinks it new in the Kingdom of his Father. Any thoughts as to what he meant?

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I remember listening to a sermon where this guy starts out quoting the fact that wine had alcahol in it and then manipulating his story a little each time he covered a point till he had drinking as a wrong thing to do. That to me is not teaching the truth and is being very deceptive, not a good trait for a Bible teacher.

Upvote 0