Russells Point
✟15,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I know Jesus drank wine, but was it fermented wine? The Gospels talk about old wine and new wine. Could old wine be fermented wine and new wine unfermented wine? I just have a hard time believing that Jesus would drink something that has such harmful effects on the body--even in moderation.

What are your thoughts?

Cajun Huguenot

Cajun's for Christ
Aug 18, 2004
Cajun Country
Visit site
✟4,779.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Yes. I happen to make home made wine. Anytime you crush a grape, the juice will be fully fermented in just a few weeks.

Grapes ripen in the late summer or early fall. Passover is in the Spring. It was not until after Dr. Welch started his process in the late 1800's that you could drink non fermented grape juice in the spring.

New wine was put into new wine skins because while fermenting it produces CO2 and would burst the old wine skins. I've blown op bottles because I capped them a little to soon.

Ps. I can post a very good letter on this subject if you are interested.

Coram Deo,
Kenith

Upvote 0

LutherNut

Barefoot Bible Reader
Aug 15, 2005
✟2,254.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Short answer... yes.

Grape juice starts to break down immediately. There is no way that grape juice could have been kept in those days.

Besides, Jesus turned 180 gallons of water into the finest wine at Cana. We know it wasn't grape juice they were drinking because the guests had "drunk freely" and didn't know the older from the newer vintage.

Upvote 0

HisKid1973

Thank You Jesus For Interceding For Me
Mar 29, 2005
Chocolate Town USA
✟15,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Jesus used wine as a beverage, but He never abused it. Wine was/is part of the culture..Mountain spring and municipal water was not always available...I always had an idea about Timothy's stomach problem was due to parasites and not stress..Jesus didn't heal him but told him to drink a little wine.. Personally I never got intrested in alcoholic drinks, but I guess I'll be drinking that new wine at the marriage supper..pax...kim

Upvote 0

repentant

Orthodoxy: Debunking heretics since 33 A.D.
Sep 2, 2005
US of A
✟8,687.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Old wine and new wine had nothing to do with wine. He was reffering to the Old Law, and the New Law...

And yes, Jesus drank wine which is alcohol. Alcohol is not bad, it is only bad when we are a glutton gor it, and get drunk.

Upvote 0

Cajun Huguenot

Cajun's for Christ
Aug 18, 2004
Cajun Country
Visit site
✟4,779.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Old wine and new wine had nothing to do with wine. He was reffering to the Old Law, and the New Law...

And yes, Jesus drank wine which is alcohol. Alcohol is not bad, it is only bad when we are a glutton gor it, and get drunk.
True, but he was using wine the making of wine as an analogy, but that does not mean that the statement is not valid for wine as well. It is you did not put new wine in old wineskins because they had lost their elasticity because they were stretched out by the CO2 when used the first time.

The same is true of the new Covenant and the Old.

Coram Deo,
Kenith

Upvote 0

repentant

Orthodoxy: Debunking heretics since 33 A.D.
Sep 2, 2005
US of A
✟8,687.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
True, but he was using wine the making of wine as an analogy, but that does not mean that the statement is not valid for wine as well. It is you did not put new wine in old wineskins because they had lost their elasticity because they were stretched out by the CO2 when used the first time.

The same is true of the new Covenant and the Old.

Coram Deo,
Kenith

I know nothing of wine or wine skins. Although I did help make wine once, but it ended up in barrels not in skins....

Upvote 0

Cajun Huguenot

Cajun's for Christ
Aug 18, 2004
Cajun Country
Visit site
✟4,779.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I know nothing of wine or wine skins. Although I did help make wine once, but it ended up in barrels not in skins....
I make wine, but I use a 5 gallon glass water bottle. 5 gallons of grape juice produce a lot of CO2 wine it is going through the fermentation process.

It is fun to do and the finished product is even more enjoyable.

Have a great evening,
Kenith

Upvote 0

HisKid1973

Thank You Jesus For Interceding For Me
Mar 29, 2005
Chocolate Town USA
✟15,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I make wine, but I use a 5 gallon glass water bottle. 5 gallons of grape juice produce a lot of CO2 wine it is going through the fermentation process.
It is fun to do and the finished product is even more enjoyable.
Have a great evening,
Kenith

Not to get off on a rabbit trail, but does it taste like sparkling grapejuice(which I have had) or different? Is the alcohol content high? tx..kim

Upvote 0

Cajun Huguenot

Cajun's for Christ
Aug 18, 2004
Cajun Country
Visit site
✟4,779.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Not to get off on a rabbit trail, but does it taste like sparkling grapejuice(which I have had) or different? Is the alcohol content high? tx..kim
It tastes like wine and not anything like sparkling grapejuice (which is tasty). The alcohol content is aboou 10 to 13 percent.

I like it. You can spike the alcohol by adding sugar, but there is not real reason to do that with wine, unless you want to make it sweet. Yeast will not survive if the alcohol goes much over 20 percent.

Coram Deo,
Kenith

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BereanTodd

Missionary Heart
Nov 26, 2006
Houston, Tx
✟11,542.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes Jesus drank wine, there is nothing wrong with wine, beer or other such things as long as they are done in moderation. It is an invention of modern, American fundamentalism that makes wine bad, the vast majority of the church both in our day and historically has no problem with alchohol.

Upvote 0

Hadassah

May 22, 2006
Germany
✟15,060.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Cajun, that was a great explination!

My mom makes wine from time to time with muscodines. (sp?) :) It's very interesting how you can take so many grapes and have so little product- but it is good!

It does ferment so quickly in the spring, as well as the fall when we harvest, so I can't see how without refrigeration and without pasteurization one wouldn't have alcohol content in wine. ;)

My relatives in Germany have wine often with dinner or lunch, and myself typically only during the Sabbath (at the beginning and end), unless I am visiting with them and have it at a meal.

I think the main difference in Middle Eastern and European sentiments about wine is that they are taught very early on about the affects of wine and not to drink too much; and that it is largely for celebrations (holidays, weddings etc) and for regular meals.

It's good for your health, in moderation.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Just remember it was in 1864 Pasteur invents the pasteurization process for wine. :) [/FONT]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ScottBot

Revolutionary
May 2, 2005
a state of desperation
✟57,712.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I know Jesus drank wine, but was it fermented wine? The Gospels talk about old wine and new wine. Could old wine be fermented wine and new wine unfermented wine? I just have a hard time believing that Jesus would drink something that has such harmful effects on the body--even in moderation.

What are your thoughts?
Wine is fermented grape juice, so yes, it has alcohol.

Reactions: Hadassah
Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
here's something to consider about Kosher winemaking...

It usually has a 5% to 15% alcohol content.

It's a bit different from what I've found in the varieties not marked with a chesher.
Thanks for sharing.
That's super news.
I love wine (and the health benefits), but I can only drink a small amount because of the intoxicating effect.
I'm always left wanting more.

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

elovzuitaly

Jan 2, 2007
✟7,632.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In Italy it's (where I live) it's perfectly fine for Christians to have wine during meals. The normal amount is normally no more than 1-2 glasses.
The Bible repeatedly warns against the abuse of wine, not against its use... actually it's even suggested once (Paul to Thimoty).
The idea of wine as something evil comes from a cultural attitude that comes from a religious one, in particular from the Quakers separation attitude from the world, but at Jesus' times wine was a common everyday beverage, although it is true that it was commonly added with water (read the Canaan's feast passage) making it less strong in terms of alcohol content.

Upvote 0