Did Jesus die only for the sheep (cf. John 10)?

ClementofA

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
1. Did Jesus die "only" for the sheep (cf. John 10)?

2. Did Jesus die to save none but the sheep (cf. John 10)?

3. Who are the sheep?

4. Will all become sheep?

Jesus tasted death for everyone (Heb.2:9, etc).

Did Jesus die “only” for “our (the sheep’s) sins”, or also for the whole world:

and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world. (1 Jn.2:2)

Jesus said He came to save the world (Jn.3:17). So He didn’t come just to save a few lucky ones that He randomly selected to win the Calvinist lottery.

If Jesus dying for the sheep meant “only” for the sheep, then shouldn’t John being the “one Jesus loved” mean Jesus “only” loved John and not Peter or the world (Jn.3:16):

So she came running to Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one Jesus loved, and said, “They have taken the Lord out of the tomb, and we don’t know where they have put him!” (John 20:2). For God so loved the world (Jn.3:16a).

Paul says the Lord will “save me”. Does that mean “only” Paul will be saved? No. And neither does Jesus saying He will lay down His life for His sheep mean He died “only” for the sheep. If Jesus wanted to limit the number of people that His death was for, He could have easily done so. Yet nowhere in the Scriptures do we see that. Quite the contrary, in fact.

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Some of the sheep aren't white sheep. The sheep are the ones who know His voice and follow Him. They are all over the world, not just in one country

John 10:26
But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
John 10:27-30
My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand. “My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand. “I and the Father are one.”

Upvote 0

MDC

Jan 19, 2017
Texas
✟59,701.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
1. Did Jesus die "only" for the sheep (cf. John 10)?

2. Did Jesus die to save none but the sheep (cf. John 10)?

3. Who are the sheep?

4. Will all become sheep?

Jesus tasted death for everyone (Heb.2:9, etc).

Did Jesus die “only” for “our (the sheep’s) sins”, or also for the whole world:

and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world. (1 Jn.2:2)

Jesus said He came to save the world (Jn.3:17). So He didn’t come just to save a few lucky ones that He randomly selected to win the Calvinist lottery.

If Jesus dying for the sheep meant “only” for the sheep, then shouldn’t John being the “one Jesus loved” mean Jesus “only” loved John and not Peter or the world (Jn.3:16):

So she came running to Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one Jesus loved, and said, “They have taken the Lord out of the tomb, and we don’t know where they have put him!” (John 20:2). For God so loved the world (Jn.3:16a).

Paul says the Lord will “save me”. Does that mean “only” Paul will be saved? No. And neither does Jesus saying He will lay down His life for His sheep mean He died “only” for the sheep. If Jesus wanted to limit the number of people that His death was for, He could have easily done so. Yet nowhere in the Scriptures do we see that. Quite the contrary, in fact.
So why ask when it’s obvious that you disagree with scriptures that Christ came to save His people ( the elect, sheep) from their sins only? Matthew 1:21.

• Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

ClementofA

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
So why ask when it’s obvious that you disagree with scriptures that Christ came to save His people ( the elect, sheep) from their sins only? Matthew 1:21.

I'm interested in how people understand John 10, in particular what the OP says & asks about it. Though forums often fail to provide any substantial answers to questions.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm interested in how people understand John 10, in particular what the OP says & asks about it. Though forums often fail to provide any substantial answers to questions.
I think John 10 is quite clear. Jesus told some they were not His sheep and then explained what it is to be one of His sheep. He made a concrete division.

• Agree
Reactions: MDC
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Did Jesus die "only" for the sheep ?
2. Did Jesus die to save none but the sheep ?
3. Who are the sheep?

Read John 3:16 -18.
Jesus died to deal with the consquences of our sin.

It is not a case of how much rightousness was used to deal with so much sin, but a case of an infinite God dealing with a finite amount of sin.

As John3:16-18 teaches it is our belief in Jesus that saves or the lack of that has already condemned.

Don't get bogged down with pictures.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MDC

Jan 19, 2017
Texas
✟59,701.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Read John 3:16 -18.
Jesus died to deal with the consquences of our sin.

It is not a case of how much rightousness was used to deal with so much sin, but a case of an infinite God dealing with a finite amount of sin.

As John3:16-18 teaches it is our belief in Jesus that saves or the lack of that has already condemned.

Don't get bogged down with pictures.
Christ and His merits save the believing (sheep). Our belief doesn’t make Christ and His merits that saves efficacious. Our belief is the result of being saved by Gods grace. Not the cause or basis for being saved. John 10 is very clear about this

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
....Paul says the Lord will “save me”. Does that mean “only” Paul will be saved? No. And neither does Jesus saying He will lay down His life for His sheep mean He died “only” for the sheep. If Jesus wanted to limit the number of people that His death was for, He could have easily done so. Yet nowhere in the Scriptures do we see that. Quite the contrary, in fact.

I think salvation is offered to all, but only his “sheep” will receive it. Others don’t accept it, they reject it and it is not useful for them. And only those who are righteous will have eternal life.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

Upvote 0