Did Jesus die for our past sins only or did he die for all sin?

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
So this came up in another featured thread of mine recently. In which somebody claimed to me that Jesus only died for our past sins and that our present and future sins need to be repented and forgiven. To me this is hogwash but I'm going to try to refrain from posting my own beliefs in this thread. But honestly scripture says that Jesus died for ALL of our sins. Nowhere in scripture does it say that only our past sins are forgiven and that we need to repent from our present and future sin. Yes scripture says that we have to repent but it doesn't say anywhere that its for our sins. Our sins were covered when God went to the cross to die for us. But I am curious as to where this belief that Jesus only died for our past sins came from and what scripture they're using. Does anyone have an idea or have heard this teaching before? Did Jesus die for our past sins only or are all of our sins paid for? Discuss.

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
So this came up in another featured thread of mine recently. In which somebody claimed to me that Jesus only died for our past sins and that our present and future sins need to be repented and forgiven. To me this is hogwash but I'm going to try to refrain from posting my own beliefs in this thread. But honestly scripture says that Jesus died for ALL of our sins. Nowhere in scripture does it say that only our past sins are forgiven and that we need to repent from our present and future sin. Yes scripture says that we have to repent but it doesn't say anywhere that its for our sins. Our sins were covered when God went to the cross to die for us. But I am curious as to where this belief that Jesus only died for our past sins came from and what scripture they're using. Does anyone have an idea or have heard this teaching before? Did Jesus die for our past sins only or are all of our sins paid for? Discuss.
The post you were referring to is typical of salvation by works Christians I've debated with in these forums. He was not denying that Jesus die for all sins, but rather he was calling into question the conditions for justification.

He presented a revolving door soteriology in which you lose justification every time you commit a sin, and gain it back by correcting your behavior. (Justification being defined in Romans 4 as one's sins and lawless deeds being remembered no more)

As he in particular has posted many times, he postulates salvation being conditioned about one's ongoing performance. In such a scenario one is placing trust in themselves to achieve justification. And thus a salvation by works scenario. This in contrasting to trust in Christ alone, and not in oneself.

justification is finalized for those who have come to faith in Christ.

"I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life." John 5:24

But for the many salvation by works Christians on these forums, it's not finalize. For them Christ's death only gives the possibility to be saved if one (by his own performance) continues to live up to "it". And so to every command they append "in order to be saved". As I see it such people disqualify themselves by rejecting the grace of God and replacing it with their own performance.

Since they did not know the righteousness that comes from God and sought to establish their own, they did not submit to God’s righteousness. Christ is the end of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes. Moses describes in this way the righteousness that is by the law: "The man who does these things will live by them." (Performance Based Justification - a postulation typical of salvation by works Christians) But the righteousness that is by faith says: "Do not say in your heart, ‘Who will ascend into heaven?’" (that is, to bring Christ down)"or ‘Who will descend into the deep?’" (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead).But what does it say? "The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart," that is, the word of faith we are proclaiming: That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. As the Scripture says, "Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame." (Faith Based Justification) Rom 10:3-11

Upvote 0

ColoRaydo

Feb 9, 2017
Colorado
✟33,572.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The “Saved By Works” crowd point to their own performance and lack thereof by others.
Besides denying Christ’s ultimate sacrifice as atonement for all past, present, and future sins, they are in constant fear of losing their (but mainly your) salvation daily, even hourly.

They are absolutely wrapped up in things like hair length, skirts vs pants, and wearing hats.
I am absolutely positive that not one of us will stand before God and say, “Here is a list of my achievements.” Rather I believe we will be unimaginably humbled and know that we don’t deserve the free gift of salvation.

Legalism by works is lack of faith. The other extreme, the “license to sin” concept, is more legalism.

The works Christians cannot answer one simple question, “What is the cutoff between the good works being good enough or not?”
I did not do everything I could do today for God. In fact, I was sick in bed. However I could still have gone out and found a homeless guy within a few blocks and given him my coat. Did I lose my salvation? Where’s the cutoff? My temperature being below 100? 102? 98.8? Regardless, I technically did not love my neighbor as myself today.

Repentance does not mean sinlessness. It means getting in agreement with God and desiring to do his will, but no matter what, there are days, even hours daily, where I miss the mark.

Others will disagree one way or the other.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Repentance does not mean sinlessness. It means getting in agreement with God and desiring to do his will, but no matter what, there are days, even hours daily, where I miss the mark.
I agree. That is what repentance is, a changing of the mind to be in agreement with God and desiring to do His will.
I don't believe that every time we sin be lose our justification through Christ although there are churches to teach that you do, such as, "Better keep your account cleaned up. What if you died before you could ask forgiveness?"

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

My take:

Jesus died for the unrighteous.
"I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."

The Holy Spirit that co-exists in us, processes sanctification.
Jesus replied, "What is impossible with man is possible with God."

If you continue willingly sinning you quench the Holy Spirit.
“Do not quench the Spirit. Do not despise prophecies, but test everything; hold fast what is good. Abstain from every form of evil”

If you sin you have an advocate with the Father:
My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin,we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: [2] And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

ColoRaydo

Feb 9, 2017
Colorado
✟33,572.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
"Better keep your account cleaned up. What if you died before you could ask forgiveness?"

I was told by another person on this forum who claims she no longer sins that accidental sins don’t count. The problem is opinions, especially scripture interpretation, are not accidental.

In fact, sins are not necessarily “bad deeds” but rather “incorrect deeds”. Claiming ignorance does not wipe out sin. Jesus’ blood does.

• Informative
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So this came up in another featured thread of mine recently. In which somebody claimed to me that Jesus only died for our past sins and that our present and future sins need to be repented and forgiven.

Both are true. Jesus died for all sins past and future.
We still need to identify them in the future though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums