The Times

Feb 9, 2017
Australia
✟90,081.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
The Kingdom of God is likened to an open wedding invitation to all.......

Bible > NIV > Matthew 22
Matthew 22
New International Version
The Parable of the Wedding Banquet

1Jesus spoke to them again in parables, saying: 2“The kingdom of heaven is like a king who prepared a wedding banquet for his son. 3He sent his servants to those who had been invited to the banquet to tell them to come, but they refused to come.

4“Then he sent some more servants and said, ‘Tell those who have been invited that I have prepared my dinner: My oxen and fattened cattle have been butchered, and everything is ready. Come to the wedding banquet.’

5“But they paid no attention and went off—one to his field, another to his business. 6The rest seized his servants, mistreated them and killed them. 7The king was enraged. He sent his army and destroyed those murderers and burned their city.

8Then he said to his servants, ‘The wedding banquet is ready, but those I invited did not deserve to come. 9So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’ 10So the servants went out into the streets and gathered all the people they could find, the bad as well as the good, and the wedding hall was filled with guests.

The metaphor of even going to the streets to invite strangers says it all, that is from all walks of life. You will be surprised who is invited to the Kingdom of Heaven.

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why did Jesus die? It is clear from scripture it was for the atonement of sins. Study these texts to see that not all will be redeemed, not all sin will be atoned. Only those that are saved will receive this grace from God. And, the path to salvation is faith in God. Now there are some texts that mention the world and even a couple that say all, but they can be dealt with in context.

NT Scripture on sin, Jesus' death and atonement.

Matthew 1:21 She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.”

Matthew 6:14 For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15
But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

Matthew 26:28 This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

John 8:24 I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am he, you will indeed die in your sins.”

Acts 13:39 Through him everyone who believes is set free from every sin, a justification you were not able to obtain under the law of Moses.

Romans 3:25 God presented Christ as a sacrifice of atonement, through the shedding of his blood—to be received by faith. He did this to demonstrate his righteousness, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished

Romans 4:24 but also for us, to whom God will credit righteousness—for us who believe in him who raised Jesus our Lord from the dead. 25 He was delivered over to death for our sins and was raised to life for our justification.

Romans 5:16 Nor can the gift of God be compared with the result of one man’s sin: The judgment followed one sin and brought condemnation, but the gift followed many trespasses and brought justification.

Romans 6:10 The death he died, he died to sin once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God.

Romans 8:3 For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in the flesh,

1 Corinthians 1:30 It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption.

1 Corinthians 15:3 For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,

2 Corinthians 5:21 God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

Galatians 1:4 who gave himself for our sins to rescue us from the present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father,

Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace

Galatians 3:13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: “Cursed is everyone who is hung on a pole.”

Galatians 4:4 But when the set time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under the law, 5 to redeem those under the law, that we might receive adoption to sonship.

Titus 2:14 who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good.

Hebrews 1:3 The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven.

Hebrews 2:17 For this reason he had to be made like them, fully human in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people.

Hebrews 7:27 Unlike the other high priests, he does not need to offer sacrifices day after day, first for his own sins, and then for the sins of the people. He sacrificed for their sins once for all when he offered himself.

Hebrews 9:14 How much more, then, will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself unblemished to God, cleanse our consciences from acts that lead to death, so that we may serve the living God! 15 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant.

Hebrews 9:28 so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him.

Hebrews 10:12 But when this priest had offered for all time one sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God,14 For by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.

1 Peter 1:18 For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your ancestors, 19 but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect.

1 Peter 2:24 “He himself bore our sins” in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; “by his wounds you have been healed.”

1 Peter 3:18 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit.

1 John 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.

1 John 4:10 This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.

Revelation 1:5 and from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth. To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood,

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Kingdom of God is likened to an open wedding invitation to all.......

Bible > NIV > Matthew 22
Matthew 22
New International Version
The Parable of the Wedding Banquet

1Jesus spoke to them again in parables, saying: 2“The kingdom of heaven is like a king who prepared a wedding banquet for his son. 3He sent his servants to those who had been invited to the banquet to tell them to come, but they refused to come.

4“Then he sent some more servants and said, ‘Tell those who have been invited that I have prepared my dinner: My oxen and fattened cattle have been butchered, and everything is ready. Come to the wedding banquet.’

5“But they paid no attention and went off—one to his field, another to his business. 6The rest seized his servants, mistreated them and killed them. 7The king was enraged. He sent his army and destroyed those murderers and burned their city.

8Then he said to his servants, ‘The wedding banquet is ready, but those I invited did not deserve to come. 9So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’ 10So the servants went out into the streets and gathered all the people they could find, the bad as well as the good, and the wedding hall was filled with guests.

The metaphor of even going to the streets to invite strangers says it all, that is from all walks of life. You will be surprised who is invited to the Kingdom of Heaven.
But you delete the punchline.

14 “For many are invited, but few are chosen.

11 “But when the king came in to see the guests, he noticed a man there who was not wearing wedding clothes. 12 He asked, ‘How did you get in here without wedding clothes, friend?’ The man was speechless.

13 “Then the king told the attendants, ‘Tie him hand and foot, and throw him outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’

14 “For many are invited, but few are chosen.”

Upvote 0

The Times

Feb 9, 2017
Australia
✟90,081.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
But you delete the punchline.

14 “For many are invited, but few are chosen.

11 “But when the king came in to see the guests, he noticed a man there who was not wearing wedding clothes. 12 He asked, ‘How did you get in here without wedding clothes, friend?’ The man was speechless.

13 “Then the king told the attendants, ‘Tie him hand and foot, and throw him outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’

14 “For many are invited, but few are chosen.”

True, but of which many were taken off the streets. Not all of them were rejected, but those who remained faithful even unto death, which symbolises the wedding garments of righteousness and purity, the pearl of great price.

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The purpose of Jesus' death was the atonement of sins. I say the sins of those going to hell will not be atoned. Since Jesus' death will not atone their sins, I say Jesus did not die for them.

Romans 3:25 God presented
Christ as a sacrifice of atonement, through the shedding of his blood—to be received by faith. He did this to demonstrate his righteousness, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished

Hebrews 2:17 For this reason he had to be made like them, fully human in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that
he might make atonement for the sins of the people.

Hebrews 10:14 For by one sacrifice he has
made perfect forever those who are being made holy.

Now we are not to judge and determine who will be saved and who specifically will receive God's grace. I just want to argue the principle that Jesus died for a purpose and that purpose will only be helpful to the saved. While God's grace is available to all, it only helps the few.
Scripture says that Jesus died for many.
  • Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and broke it, and gave it to the disciples and said, "Take, eat; this is my body." And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, "Drink of it, all of you; for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. I tell you I shall not drink again of this fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom."Matthew 26:26-29 RSV
Scripture also says that God desires all men (and women) to be saved
  • First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all men, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life, godly and respectful in every way. This is good, and it is acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all, the testimony to which was borne at the proper time.1 Timothy 2:1-6 RSV

Upvote 0

Steven Beck

Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟28,787.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
The purpose of Jesus' death was the atonement of sins. I say the sins of those going to hell will not be atoned. Since Jesus' death will not atone their sins, I say Jesus did not die for them.

Christ as a sacrifice of atonement, through the shedding of his blood—to be received by faith. He did this to demonstrate his righteousness, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished

Hebrews 2:17 For this reason he had to be made like them, fully human in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that

Now we are not to judge and determine who will be saved and who specifically will receive God's grace. I just want to argue the principle that Jesus died for a purpose and that purpose will only be helpful to the saved. While God's grace is available to all, it only helps the few.

You are not very clear here. Jesus died to atone for everybody's sin but only those who repent and have faith in Jesus will be saved. Those who do not repent and put their faith in Jesus will not have atonement of their sins and will therefore be sentenced to Gehenna - the Lake of Fire.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

No correct answer among your 2 poll choices. He died for the elect.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
"And who are the 'elect' in your opinion?

In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will (Eph 1:11)

The Church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will (Eph 1:11)

The Church.
What do you think "in him" means in that verse?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Don't Calvinists hold to limited atonement?

The Presbyterians are not as rigidly "Calvinist" as some who use that label. Some take the Synod of Dort and act like it is the final word in all things Reformed, and it really is not.

FWIW, I believe Christ died for all. This has been the consistent teaching of the Church up until the Reformation. And it's taught in the Scriptures. Just exactly who are among the lost ultimately, is not something I believe we can or should know.

Reactions: ViaCrucis
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

If Jesus would have conformed to the teachings and man made laws of the Sanhedrin and Caesar, then they would not have killed him. They did not kill their own. Because Jesus was a reformer and a righteous dissident, he was brought to trial and suffered crucifixion. By this time his Gospel was already spreading. If we believe God like Jesus did, we may be saved. Jesus died that we might find the way to repentance and salvation. If I turn to live a righteous life, I might be forgiven of debts I can not repay.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you are happier believing either and it enables you to witness/talk more freely about Christianity then go for it.

What matters is that we are Christian and boldly talking about it while also living it.
So a better question is how different are you in the way you live and work from your nonchristian friends, family and neighbours?

Upvote 0

david.d

Oct 19, 2004
Albuquerque, NM
Visit site
✟27,629.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee: As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.
John 17:1‭-‬2 KJV

Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jesus died and atoned for the sins of those would believe and be saved, which isn't every single person ever.

Yes. I agree.

Or else John 3:16 would have been worded differently. Not all people believe in Jesius. According to John 3:16 they will perish.

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,512.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The purpose of Jesus' death was the atonement of sins. I say the sins of those going to hell will not be atoned.

If a person goes to hell it will be because they refused to accept that Jesus died for them, refused to repent or ask for forgiveness. The wages of sin is death but the gift of God is eternal life, Romans 6:23. If someone has not confessed their sins before death, they cannot be forgiven after death. If they have refused this gift of eternal life; they have eternal death - permanent separation from God.

That doesn't mean that Jesus didn't die for them, only that they refused to accept it.

Since Jesus' death will not atone their sins, I say Jesus did not die for them.

He died for everyone - whosoever believes has eternal life.
If someone refuses to accept this, ultimately it will be as if he never died for them - he died to save us all from eternal death, and they will receive eternal death.
Jesus died for all, but they have never received that gift.

Upvote 0