Did Jesus commune with his disciples in the 40 days after he rose?

Did Jesus commune with his disciples in the 40 days after he rose?

• Yes

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi AHC, I don't believe He stayed with them continually (like He had for the past three years), but He certainly did far more than float overhead, let them see Him, and then disappear into a cloud of smoke. He stayed with them for a time, ate with them, taught them, performed miracles in their presence, etc., then He moved on and did the same for the others He intended to see and teach.
You have a long list of things Jesus did after he rose, but read scripture to see there is not much actually listed. You say he stayed with them, no scripture says Jesus spent a night with the disciples. He did eat with them, maybe three times. He taught them; Luke 24:27 says Jesus explained what Scripture said concerning him, in a maybe 2 or 3 hour long walk. One miracle is described in John 21. The many other things that John says Jesus did is a reference to what Jesus did while he was with them.

Note Jesus even says in past tense what he did when he was with them.

Luke 24:44 He said to them, “This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms.”

Kind of an acknowledgement that Jesus was not still with them post resurrection, even though he made appearances to them.
Let's assume you are correct for the moment however, what do you believe Jesus was doing with all the spare time you believe He had between the Resurrection and the Ascension? He hadn't ascended yet, and He certainly had a big job to complete in short order before He did, so He probably wasn't just hanging out by Himself or sleeping (does He even need to sleep anymore?). So what do you think He was up to?
Let's start with what he didn't do. He didn't teach them any new teachings. He didn't do any new and greater miracle. About the only new thing he did was "walk" through walls and then disappear.

So if Jesus did not introduce any new doctrine after he rose, what was his purpose post resurrection? Read your quoted 1 Corinthians 15 for an answer. His only purpose in appearing after his resurrection is to prove that he did in fact rise from the dead, such that we also have an assurance of being resurrected from the dead. How many times would it take for you to see your dead grandparent living to be convinced. Not 40 days in a row.

What was Jesus doing in his spare time? I never really thought about this before and at first, I thought scripture said nothing about it, so I wouldn't speculate about it. Now I think these words answer your question.

Luke 23:43 Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.”

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Commune" does NOT mean "live/stay with". It just means "intimate communication", which the Bible shows Jesus doing with His disciples during the 40 days.

Merriam-Webster
Definition of COMMUNE

Oxford ("verb" section, as used in the OP's question)
commune - definition of commune in English | Oxford Dictionaries

No mention of "live/stay with".
If you can link a dictionary, then you should be able to read that the word has more than JUST one meaning.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,928,677.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi AHC, Jesus went to Paradise (Abraham's Bosom) when He died on the Cross .. Luke 16:22, but if memory serves, He returned to us from there as well ;)

Perhaps the thief on the cross returned from Paradise too .. Matthew 27:52-53, but that, just like all that the Lord did between His Resurrection and Ascension, will no doubt remain somewhat of a mystery to us, this side of Glory anyway.

So we need to be satisfied with what we know, which granted, isn't a lot, because everything we choose to believe beyond what the Bible teaches us is a matter of conjecture on each of our parts.

Yours and His,
David

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
While scripture says Jesus performed many signs in the 40 days after he rose from the dead, I don't think Jesus was constantly in the presence of the disciples in the time.
I think the miracles were part of Jesus' teaching of the Apostles. I think he spent the time teaching them how to set up the churches. Baptism, Eucharist, deacons and presbyters and bishops.... These were all things the Apostles did which were not covered by Jesus' ministry before the crucifixion.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Matthew, Mark and Luke all record Jesus saying he will not drink wine until God's kingdom has been restored; Matthew 26:29, Mark 14:25, Luke 22:18. Scripture records Jesus eating with his disciples; Luke 24:42-43, Acts 1:4. Scripture does not record when the early church started partaking of the Lord's Supper, but according to Matthew, Mark and Luke, Jesus could not have been a part of it if they did it in the first 40 days after Jesus rose.

While scripture says Jesus performed many signs in the 40 days after he rose from the dead, I don't think Jesus was constantly in the presence of the disciples in the time. Scripture says Jesus appeared and disappeared. While he did eat on occasion, I don't think he had to eat and drink. If Jesus had to drink, surely the disciples would have drank wine in 40 days and if Jesus was present, it would have been customary for him to also drink wine.

Well not "constantly" but "a lot". This was the entire reason that He did not ascend bodily to heaven until that 40 days had ended.

Upvote 0