Did Jesus basically say 'live in the now, and do not plan for later'?

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,516.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
also it would mean that taking out health insurance, life insurance, pet or home insurance were sinful and i don't think many see that as sin.

If the Body of Christ were operating as it should, however, Christians would be the toughest people in the world to sell insurance to because the Body itself would operate as a self-insuring trust.

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If the Body of Christ were operating as it should, however, Christians would be the toughest people in the world to sell insurance to because the Body itself would operate as a self-insuring trust.

sure, but God allows that we live in a fallen world and are not perfect. some christians say that they don't support the welfare state for example, because they say that if the Church was operating like in Acts, for example, no one would be in need and the vullnerable disabled and elderly would be supported by the church. i see what they saying, but at same time, the church isn;t doing that as it ough tto maybe, so yes i do support the welfare state and fel no guilt cliamingmy disability cheques. Jesus knows that we aren't going to be able to meet his high standards. because of our sin and fallenness, He gently does not forbids us these safety nets we need or feel we need.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,516.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
sure, but God allows that we live in a fallen world and are not perfect. some christians say that they don't support the welfare state for example, because they say that if the Church was operating like in Acts, for example, no one would be in need and the vullnerable disabled and elderly would be supported by the church. i see what they saying, but at same time, the church isn;t doing that as it ough tto maybe, so yes i do support the welfare state and fel no guilt cliamingmy disability cheques. Jesus knows that we aren't going to be able to meet his high standards. because of our sin and fallenness, He gently does not forbids us these safety nets we need or feel we need.

I did use the subjunctive mood.

• Agree
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For me its like "caught up". I was not promised tomorrow. To prepare for tomorrow is wise. Yet.. live in the now. To many have faith in a day or time that they were never promised. StockMarket.. need to look at tomorrow. Just don't step into tomorrow :)

Upvote 0

Olmhinlu

Apr 15, 2020
Undisclosed
✟59,795.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit”— yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that.” As it is, you boast in your arrogance. All such boasting is evil.

To me, James seems to teach here that planning is okay, but what is wrong is the presumption that one has control of their destiny - like the foolish rich men of the Bible:

A rich man's wealth is his strong city, and like a high wall in his imagination.

On another note - do you think we should literally hate our mothers?

Upvote 0