Did ICE illegally detain US citizen children as bait?

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2019/7...5K8-8DMR8yqoRMkRooSZEBNw8B2tgKgpzdDTNf4WlmFBI

Three girls were detained by U.S. Customs and Border Protection at O’Hare International Airport more than 12 hours Thursday after returning from a trip abroad.

The girls — ages 13, 10 and 9 — are U.S. citizens and arrived in Chicago at 3 a.m. with an adult who had written permission from the parents to travel with the children, said Mony Ruiz-Velazco, an attorney working with the family said.

However, Border Protection officials denied entry to the girls as well as their companion, who was traveling on a tourist visa; officials said they were waiting for a parent to come get the girls.

Their parents, undocumented immigrants, had feared their children were being used as bait so that the parents could be detained by Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Thoughts?

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
“Yet you say, ‘Why should not the son suffer for the iniquity of the father?’ When the son has done what is just and right, and has been careful to observe all my statutes, he shall surely live. The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not suffer for the iniquity of the father, nor the father suffer for the iniquity of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself.

I think I know who the wicked are.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
When you consider a group of people as less than human, then you will consider any tactic to catch those <insert demeaning phrase> as acceptable. There’s a reason why many that demonize immigrants use “illegal” as a noun; it’s all part of a tactic to dehumanize a group as less than, so as to get broader acceptance of mistreating them or their families. And now they don’t even want to respect the citizenship of their children because in their eyes, the children are also less than human because their parents are <insert demeaning phrase>.

• Winner
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

thesopranopiano

Fiery, but mostly peaceful
Aug 8, 2013
Texas
✟121,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
According to the article, the relative’s visa was “inadmissible” and ordered to return to Mexico. Would it really have been better for them to just release three minor children on their own with no legal guardian?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟230,352.00
Faith
Christian
Leaving aside the act of detaining children for the purpose described, how on earth do you end up with a situation where children have US citizenship but the parents do not?

Most countries won't allow this for very good reason - it's a recipe for disaster both when travelling and when a parent fails to meet PR conditions (for example, by committing a crime or residing out of country for a long period)

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
According to the article, the relative’s visa was “inadmissible” and ordered to return to Mexico. Would it really have been better for them to just release three minor children on their own with no legal guardian?

Yes, on what planet would it make sense to release children aged 9, 10, and 13 onto the street?

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟570,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
FROM THE ARTICLE:

"Customs and Border Protection issued a statement saying that three children arrived at O’Hare accompanied by a Mexican citizen who was deemed “inadmissible.”

I wonder what "inadmiasible" means in this case?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
FROM THE ARTICLE:

"Customs and Border Protection issued a statement saying that three children arrived at O’Hare accompanied by a Mexican citizen who was deemed “inadmissible.”

I wonder what "inadmiasible" means in this case?

There are a number of things that make foreign nationals inadmissible for entry into the US: certain kinds of criminal record, certain public health grounds, making false statements, etc.

It's all spelled out here: https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-8

• Informative
Reactions: Landon Caeli
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,515.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
According to the article, the parent signed paperwork allowing them to go with the attorney but CBP refused to accept it.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
According to the article, the parent signed paperwork allowing them to go with the attorney but CBP refused to accept it.

There are strict rules on handing over children to someone who is not a legal guardian.

The only other option for CBP, it seems to me, would have been to hand the children over to Child Protective Services, and let them sort it out. I think that would have been far more traumatic for the children.

And I'm not sure how reliable that article is. There are multiple media reports of the incident, and they all tell slightly different stories.

Last edited:
Upvote 0