✟8,597.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Garnet2727 said:
In a recent correspondence, I made the statement that Hindus believe that all paths lead to God.

Did I insert my foot in my mouth and chew vigorously all the way to the kneecap?

From my understanding thats the beliefe.

Upvote 0

vajradhara

Diamond Thunderbolt of Indestructable Wisdom
Jun 25, 2003
Dharmadhatu
✟19,720.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Namaste Garnet,

no, you didn't stick your foot in your mouth.

the Indian religions are a bit different than the Semetic traditions.

generally speaking, what you will find is that one can be a Buddhist, for instance, and hold a different philosophical position than another Buddhist, yet both are still Buddhist.

the same is true for the Hindu (Sanatana Dharma) traditions, perhaps even to a greater degree than it is in the Buddha Dharma.

it is also important to bear in mind how the Sanatana Dharma view of God and therefore, reality, is of a radically different character than the Semetic traditions. perhaps this can help explain a bit more:

the extent to which the mythologies-and therewith physchologies- of the Orient and Occident diverged in the course of the period between the dawn of civilization in the Near East and the present age of mutal rediscovery appears in their opposed version of the shared mythological image of the first being, who was originally one but became two.

the best known Occidental example of this image of the first being, split in two, which seem to be two but are actually one, is, for course, that of the Book of Genesis, second chapter, where it is turned, however, to a different sense. For the couple is spearated here by a superior being, who, as we are told, caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man and, while he slept, took one of his ribs.

in the Indian version it is the god himself that divides and becomes not man alone but all creation; so that everything is a manifestation of that single inhabiting divine substance: there is no other; whereas in the Bible, God and man, from the beginning, are distinct. Man is made in the image of God, indeed, and the breath of God has been breathed into his nostrils; yet his being, his self, is not that of God, nor is it one with the universe. The fashioning of the world, of animals, and of Adam (who then became Adam and Eve) was accomplished not within the sphere of divinity but outside of it.

there is, consequently, an intrinsic, not merely formal, separation. and the goal of knowledge cannot be to see God here and now in all things; for God is not in things. God is transcendent. God is beheld only by the dead. the goal of knowledge has to be, rather, to know the relationship of God to His creation, or, more specifically, to man, and through such knowledge, by God's grace, to link one's own will back to that of the Creator.

moreover, according to the Biblical version of this myth, it was only after creation that man fell, whereas in the Indian example creation itself was a fall - the fragmentation of a God. and the God is not condemned. Rather, his creation, his "pouring forth" is described as an act of voluntary, dynamic will-to-be-more, which anteceded creation and has, therefore, a metaphysical, symbolical, not literal, historical meaning. the fall of Adam and Eve was an event within the already created frame of time and space, an accident that should not have taken place. the myth of the Self in the form of a man, on the other hand, who looked around and saw nothing but himself, and said "I", felt fear, and then desired to be two, tells of an intrinsic, not errant, factor in the manifold of being, the correction or undoing of which would not improve, but dissolve, creation. the Indian point of view is metaphyscial, poetical; the Biblical, ethical and historical.

http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=560

metta,

~v

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Garnet2727 said:
In a recent correspondence, I made the statement that Hindus believe that all paths lead to God.

Did I insert my foot in my mouth and chew vigorously all the way to the kneecap?

Actually, I've met many Hindus here who think that Christianity is not a valid, karma-reducing path. And of course, virtually all Hindus believe that to experience Moksha, a Christian (as well as Muslims and Jews) must be reborn as a Hindu first. Does that constitute belief in Christianity as a valid path? I'm not sure.

Of course, what I've said is a bit of a simplification, so maybe they'll come in and elaborate.

Upvote 0

rahul_sharma

Hindu dominated India - Largest Democracy on Earth
Sep 11, 2004
New Delhi
✟3,888.00
Faith
Hindu
Marital Status
Single
arunma said:
Actually, I've met many Hindus here who think that Christianity is not a valid, karma-reducing path.
You said here may i ask who said that. Ofcouse Christian interpretations are spiritualess when it is compared to Hinduism according to Hindus but still it is a valid attempt for the advancement of soul. I personally put Christian interpretations of Jesus teachings even below concepts of Islam.

And of course, virtually all Hindus believe that to experience Moksha, a Christian (as well as Muslims and Jews) must be reborn as a Hindu first. Does that constitute belief in Christianity as a valid path? I'm not sure.

Of course, what I've said is a bit of a simplification, so maybe they'll come in and elaborate.

Suppose there are 2 persons A and B. A is in University and B is in primary School. Although A is now in University , he will never say B who is in primary school is not following right path. Here Kid B may live in his own world of illusions and paradise and may award hell for every one else in his childish ego but spiritually advanced soul A knows very well that there is no short cut in Spiritual advancement , every soul will have to advance step by step depending upon Maya and Karma.

Upvote 0

Ram

Mar 15, 2005
✟9,161.00
Faith
Hindu
arunma said:
Actually, I've met many Hindus here who think that Christianity is not a valid, karma-reducing path. And of course, virtually all Hindus believe that to experience Moksha, a Christian (as well as Muslims and Jews) must be reborn as a Hindu first. Does that constitute belief in Christianity as a valid path? I'm not sure.

Hmm, that may not be correct judgement. Salvation in Hinduism is considered a rare event, that some one attains over millions of births of progressive spiritual growth resulting in the knowledge of God. Only one in a very large populaton, say ten million will attain salvation. This could be anyone - perhaps a Hindu, a christian or even a tribal villager whose profession is as a butcher.:p

There are no short cuts involved. People are typically born as Yogis, Vaishnavites, Shaivites, non Hindus, atheists etc over their long spiritual journey occasionally taking birth in lower forms of life.

Salvation is attained on obtaining knowledge of God. It has nothing much to do only with the present birth and pretty much depends on what you have accomplished in all your previous births. That is why, even an apparently wicked person could attain salvation - subject to the condition of God realization in a former birth.

Know God and take your place - that is Hinduism.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

satay

Veteran
May 17, 2005
Canada
Visit site
✟17,045.00
Faith
Hindu
Marital Status
Married
Garnet2727 said:

Sanatan Dharma says, "Ekam Sat, Vipra Bahudha Vadanti" Find out the meaning of this...

satay

Upvote 0