manhattan
✟18,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
9 Let not a widow be taken into the number under threescore years old, having been the wife of one man.

10 Well reported of for good works; if she have brought up children, if she have lodged strangers, if she have washed the saints' feet, if she have relieved the afflicted, if she have diligently followed every good work.

11 But the younger widows refuse: for when they have begun to wax wanton against Christ, they will marry;

12 Having damnation, because they have cast off their first faith.

so, if a widow remmarrie's she betray's God and go's to hell? how many other sin's do you go to hell for?

This seem's Heavily Contradicted and Overturned by God In Revelation talking to the angel and one of the church's when(paraphrasing) God has somewhat against the church because it left it's first love, and it should repent so that it's candlestick is not removed.

How is God allowing for an entire church to repent for leaving it's first love, Him, and Paul is saying a widow who want's to remmary is betraying God and is Condemned.

Last edited:

Taodeching

Oct 29, 2020
Southwest
✟60,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here is another translation:

9 Do not add any widow to the list of widows unless she is over sixty years of age. In addition, she must have been married only once 10 and have a reputation for good deeds: a woman who brought up her children well, received strangers in her home, performed humble duties for other Christians, helped people in trouble, and devoted herself to doing good.

11 But do not include younger widows in the list; because when their desires make them want to marry, they turn away from Christ, 12 and so become guilty of breaking their earlier promise to him.

So I am not sure how accurate the KJV is

Here is the amplified Bible:

9 Let no one be put on the roll of widows [who are to receive church support] who is under sixty years of age or who has been the wife of more than one man;

10 And she must have a reputation for good deeds, as one who has brought up children, who has practiced hospitality to strangers [of the brotherhood], washed the feet of the saints, helped to relieve the distressed, [and] devoted herself diligently to doing good in every way.

11 But refuse [to enroll on this list the] younger widows, for when they become restive and their natural desires grow strong, they withdraw themselves against Christ [and] wish to marry [again].

12 And so they incur condemnation for having set aside and slighted their previous pledge.

Looks like these were women that committed there total life to Christ in effect became nuns but younger ones never kept their vows when they wanted to marry, even though they made a vow. That's how I read it anyway

Upvote 0

Jesusfann777888

Mar 28, 2021
manhattan
✟18,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

9 Do not add any widow to the list of widows unless she is over sixty years of age. In addition, she must have been married only once 10 and have a reputation for good deeds: a woman who brought up her children well, received strangers in her home, performed humble duties for other Christians, helped people in trouble, and devoted herself to doing good.

11 But do not include younger widows in the list; because when their desires make them want to marry, they turn away from Christ, 12 and so become guilty of breaking their earlier promise to him.

9 Let no one be put on the roll of widows [who are to receive church support] who is under sixty years of age or who has been the wife of more than one man;

10 And she must have a reputation for good deeds, as one who has brought up children, who has practiced hospitality to strangers [of the brotherhood], washed the feet of the saints, helped to relieve the distressed, [and] devoted herself diligently to doing good in every way.

11 But refuse [to enroll on this list the] younger widows, for when they become restive and their natural desires grow strong, they withdraw themselves against Christ [and] wish to marry [again].

12 And so they incur condemnation for having set aside and slighted their previous pledge.

Looks like these were women that committed there total life to Christ in effect became nuns but younger ones never kept their vows when they wanted to marry, even though they made a vow. That's how I read it anyway
Either way God himself Said You Shall Not Sweat An OATH because you can not keep it. so is Paul disregarding Scripture?
And what's wrong with wanting to marry? God Said no one is bound to a marriage covenant after their spouse dies so are all people suppose to get married before they become Christian? Paul ain't making no sense.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,759.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

You're right. To be enrolled as a widow is to become a prayer warrior in the church. It was expected they would commit to this and continue in it. Not that they would 'go to hell' for getting married after enrolling, but they would turn away from what would be a life of a nun.

I think your translation made that clearer. It isn't apostasy, as the initial translation appeared to say.

Upvote 0

Jesusfann777888

Mar 28, 2021
manhattan
✟18,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You're right. To be enrolled as a widow is to become a prayer warrior in the church. It was expected they would commit to this and continue in it. Not that they would 'go to hell' for getting married after enrolling, but they would turn away from what would be a life of a nun.
Who is expecting it? Because nowhere in The Bible does God Himself make Stipulation's for widow's(that I'm aware) . God gave the Ten commandment'S as a standard of righteousness, not oath's or vow's to him which He Forbade.

Upvote 0

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟160,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
9 Let not a widow be taken into the number under threescore years old, having been the wife of one man.

10 Well reported of for good works; if she have brought up children, if she have lodged strangers, if she have washed the saints' feet, if she have relieved the afflicted, if she have diligently followed every good work.

11 But the younger widows refuse: for when they have begun to wax wanton against Christ, they will marry;

12 Having damnation, because they have cast off their first faith.

so, if a widow remmarrie's she betray's God and go's to hell? how many other sin's do you go to hell for?

This seem's Heavily Contradicted and Overturned by God In Revelation talking to the angel and one of the church's when(paraphrasing) God has somewhat against the church because it left it's first love, and it should repent so that it's candlestick is not removed.

How is God allowing for an entire church to repent for leaving it's first love, Him, and Paul is saying a widow who want's to remmary is betraying God and is Condemned.
To interpret this as a widow remarrying being a sin is incorrect. This refers specifically to widows who are on "the list" (NASB) or "number" (KJV) who remarry, which apparently breaks some kind of pledge.

What is this "list"? Well, it's obviously something Paul and Timothy knew about, but we don't know the specifics. The most plausible explanation in my view is that being on the list means for a woman to make a pledge to the service of the church and be specially supported by it as a result, sort of like an early version of a nun. Under this rationale, the various restrictions given make sense. For example, since younger women would be far more likely to break that pledge by falling in love with some guy and wanting to get married, Paul says it should be restricted to older women who wouldn't do it.

But the bottom line is, whatever this list was, it was only sinful for widows to marry if they were on that list due to some kind of pledge they made.

Upvote 0

Jesusfann777888

Mar 28, 2021
manhattan
✟18,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
To interpret this as a widow remarrying being a sin is incorrect. This refers specifically to widows who are on "the list" (NASB) or "number" (KJV) who remarry, which apparently breaks some kind of pledge.
What is this "list"? Well, it's obviously something Paul and Timothy knew about, but we don't know the specifics. The most plausible explanation in my view is that being on the list means for a woman to make a pledge to the service of the church and be specially supported by it as a result, sort of like an early version of a nun. Under this rationale, the various restrictions given make sense. For example, since younger women would be far more likely to break that pledge by falling in love with some guy and wanting to get married, Paul says it should be restricted to older women who wouldn't do it.

But the bottom line is, whatever this list was, it was only sinful for widows to marry if they were on that list due to some kind of pledge they made.
Explain how such a pledge was enacted when God said you are not to make vow's.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,759.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
listen, I have to walk a fine Line here because I'm not trying to spread doubt, I'm simply asking how can this be revonciled?
It's not a salvational issue. To be enrolled as a widow was to commit to be a full-time prayer warrior. Not required of them to seek out the enrollment. But they should be committed to it if they make their final vows to do so. If they want instead to marry again, they should do that. Either is OK.

Today we have nuns who make vows, and some of them decide to break their vows for various reasons. They can then be released and marry if they want to. They don't go to hell because of that. Same story.

• Agree
Reactions: Taodeching
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jesusfann777888

Mar 28, 2021
manhattan
✟18,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's not a salvational issue. To be enrolled as a widow was to commit to be a full-time prayer warrior. Not required of them to seek out the enrollment. But they should be committed to it if they make their final vows to do so. If they want instead to marry again, they should do that. Either is OK.

Today we have nuns who make vows, and some of them decide to break their vows for various reasons. They can then be released and marry if they want to. They don't go to hell because of that. Same story.
paul said that they were condemned if they remarry, I'm not trying to make this an issue, but,that's a salvation issue.

Upvote 0

Jesusfann777888

Mar 28, 2021
manhattan
✟18,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Where did God say that?

King James Bible
But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation.
So, if you've ever made a promise to God a broken it you're Condemned? well, look's like everyone's going to hell.

Upvote 0

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟160,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
paul said that they were condemned if they remarry, I'm not trying to make this an issue, but,that's a salvation issue.
If it's a salvation issue, it refers to a specific group of women in a specific time period in the past and possibly only in a specific place (where Timothy was). Outside of those specifics that are clearly not the case now, it gives no restrictions on widows remarrying.

Upvote 0

Jesusfann777888

Mar 28, 2021
manhattan
✟18,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If it's a salvation issue, it refers to a specific group of women in a specific time period in the past and possibly only in a specific place (where Timothy was). Outside of those specifics that are clearly not the case now, it gives no restrictions on widows remarrying.
The time-period when it was Stated not to swear oaths was given at this time, but it Say'S don't make promises if you fail to keep a promise, you're Condemned.

Well, because I'm so stressed out i thought I'd post something funny

Upvote 0

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟160,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The time-period when it was Stated not to swear oaths was given at this time, but it Say'S don't make promises if you fail to keep a promise, you're Condemned.
Firstly, what is being condemned in Matthew 5:33 is horkos, for oath. The word translated in 1 Timothy 5:12 as pledge in the translation I was using, is pistis. While translated as pledge in many Bibles, a more literal rendering would be faith or faithfulness (the quotation you give at the start uses "faith"). Thus it isn't even using the same word in 1 Timothy 5:12 as is being condemned in Matthew 5:33.

Even if we ignore that and regard it as pledge, Matthew 5:33-37 cannot be plausibly interpreted as a blanket prohibition on promises, or else the final portion of letting your yes be yes and your no be no would make no sense at all (you have to be saying yes or no to something!), and people couldn't enter into any kind of agreement at all.

• Agree
Reactions: paul1149
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jesusfann777888

Mar 28, 2021
manhattan
✟18,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Firstly, what is being condemned in Matthew 5:33 is horkos, for oath. The word translated in 1 Timothy 5:12 as pledge in the translation I was using, is pistis. While translated as pledge in many Bibles, a more literal rendering would be faith or faithfulness (the quotation you give at the start uses "faith"). Thus it isn't even using the same word in 1 Timothy 5:12 as is being condemned in Matthew 5:33.

Even if we ignore that and regard it as pledge, Matthew 5:33-37 cannot be plausibly interpreted as a blanket prohibition on promises, or else the final portion of letting your yes be yes and your no be no would make no sense at all (you have to be saying yes or no to something!), and people couldn't enter into any kind of agreement at all.
If your interpreting it as an agreement rather than as a response. Considering it states not to make or take any oath, then it's context applies to response's only because it states you can not make oath's.

my question is how is paul then enacting an oath that go's against a Commandment, and then saying you are Condemned if you break an oath that already break's a previous Commandment from God?

Upvote 0

Jesusfann777888

Mar 28, 2021
manhattan
✟18,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Oaths
33 “Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘Do not break your oath, but fulfill to the Lord the vows you have made.’ 34 But I tell you, do not swear an oath at all: either by heaven, for it is God’s throne; 35 or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. 36 And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. 37 All you need to say is simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.

this was before paul became an apostle, now I'm questioning if he was.

Upvote 0

Jesusfann777888

Mar 28, 2021
manhattan
✟18,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
the only context I could consider is if paul was Stating that the church is going to avoid making young widow's held to a vow ( as the letter is addressed as Concerning church policy)because it results in Condemnation.

either way I've made promise's I couldn't keep so does that now mean I'm going to hell?

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,759.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
the only context I could consider is if paul was Staying they the church is going to avoid making young widow's held to a vow because it results in Condemnation.

either way I've made promise's I couldn't keep so does that now mean I'm going to hell?
You have overthought yourself into confusion. It's not at all that much of a drama thing,

• Winner
Reactions: Taodeching
Upvote 0

Jesusfann777888

Mar 28, 2021
manhattan
✟18,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You have overthought yourself into confusion. It's not at all that much of a drama thing,
when The Bible Make'S statement's in tandem with "Condemnation" that are about as easy to commit as sneezing and we're all sinner's I Tend to view that as a drama thing.

Upvote 0