• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Did I just lose my salvation?

Job405

Jesus Christ Matters
Site Supporter
May 17, 2020
Uusimaa
✟143,890.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So I was just in the bathroom and thinking about whether or not I can think thoughts in my brain and not mean them, like reading words off a sheet of paper. I think this is what's called Exposure Response Therapy, ERP.

I thought a bad thought about Jesus on purpose while not meaning it in my heart, kind of like reading.

The thought was "Jesus is accursed".

Obviously Jesus is very blessed and I love Him more than life itself, this is what I know to be true in my heart. I am just looking for ways to deal with these constant attacks of intrusive thoughts, so that I am no longer afraid of the thoughts.

But do you think I just lost my salvation by thinking that thought consciously?

Here is some related scripture:

1 Corinthians 12:3 - Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟174,115.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Salvation is a progress :) It starts when you accept Jesus as Lord and saviour, it continues when you live a new life in God's will and it ends when Jesus returns and you are still faithful in Him.

In Hebrews 3:14 it says: "We have come to share in Christ, if indeed we hold our original conviction firmly to the very end."

On our journey of salvation we fail sometimes. Especially keeping our thoughts clear and pure is a difficult thing and requires a close connection with the Holy Spirit. But failing never means we lost.
You can never lose your salvation unless you turn away from God on purpose. You can go back to your old, sinful lifestyle and live as if Jesus didn't exist and stop the process of your salvation that way, but as long as you want to obey God nothing will snap you out of His hands.

In other words: as long as the Holy Spirit asks you to repent (using your conscience) you're still being saved :)

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So I was just in the bathroom and thinking about whether or not I can think thoughts in my brain and not mean them, like reading words off a sheet of paper. I think this is what's called Exposure Response Therapy, ERP.

I thought a bad thought about Jesus on purpose while not meaning it in my heart, kind of like reading.

Obviously Jesus is very blessed and I love Him more than life itself, this is what I know to be true in my heart. I am just looking for ways to deal with these constant attacks of intrusive thoughts, so that I am no longer afraid of the thoughts.

1 Corinthians 12:3 - Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

The easiest thing to think when we read something and know we're not supposed to say it is that very same thing.
Try this little experiment: Do your best to not think about the word "Rabbit" for the next 10 minutes. When the 10 minutes are over, you'll realize that it was the most frequently thought about word. If I hadn't even suggested the experiment, you probably never would have thought of that word (unless you happen to have a pet rabbit, of course).

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟776,845.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
If we were told that thinking of pink elephants was a unredeemable sin, then nearly all of us would be in serious trouble.

Your situation has nothing to do with hatred, but with fear of yourself.

You do not hate God, but somehow you fear that if you get a single thing wrong, then He will stop loving you and will give up on you.

Your self-condemnation is caused by nothing but negative feelings about yourself.

If you believe that this the way that God sees you, then you seriously need to think again.

Next time you walk into the bathroom, take a good look in the mirror. What you will see is a human being, fearfully and wonderfully made in the image of God. Every particle of your being was designed by Him and loved with an infinite love. You are not an accident, but a miracle of God. You were created for a purpose and that purpose was for Him to draw you closer to Himself.

I think we sometimes underestimate the words "draw near to God and He will draw close to you". The Lord is absolutely besotted with us. Like peas in a pod, we were designed to be together with one another. Like iron clinging to a magnet. The Lord has most certainly not left you, but is longing to bless you and draw you closer to Him. He will never grow weary or tired in seeking out and finding us. Like the parable of the lost sheep, our Good Shepherd will keep calling out for us until we respond. And when He has found us, He will wrap us around his shoulders rejoicing.

Never underestimate the unwavering love and compassion of our God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married

If you had it before, you still had it after. If you didn't have it before, you still have the same issues.

Upvote 0

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It's perfectly natural for our brains to string random words together (whether from recollection or not). Now as to this phrase remember that some onlookers to Jesus' death thought He must have been accursed.

When you remember a quote, don't forget that in repeating a quote you aren't subscribing to the view expressed in the words yourself. A quote just expresses a viewpoint of another person - maybe not even the author, like in this case probably Isaiah, or the Gospels.

It's quite like the Holy Week services when we might repeat the words of the crowd. So no need to be frightened! God sees that your heart is very respectful!

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

That is ERP. However, it's possible to do ERP in ways that your conscience is comfortable with. You don't have to do something that you think is a sin. In this case, I'd probably suggest doing ERP "naturally." That is, if your OCD washes a thought into your brain, just let it be without doing a compulsion to "get rid of it" or make it feel better. (Like a wave, let it wash in and out as it will, it doesn't mean you want or accept it). But, you don't have to purposely bring up thoughts that you feel are wrong. Some people, in order to do ERP in ways that they feel are not sinning, write scripts about how they would feel if they DID think a "bad thought" or do something bad on purpose - but you don't have to actually think or do those things that go against your conscience. That's my stance, anyway.

Upvote 0