Mathews
✟271,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Today, I stopped for a burger, and decided to sit down to eat. I don't usually, but this time, I felt like celebrating. I had just deposited a very nice paycheck in my bank account. :)

So, I ordered and sat in a booth...
Right behind me sat 3 ladies, waiting for their food.
I couldn't help but hear everything they talked about.

Who they were discussing, I did not know, but everything they said was cutting and mean.
Then they mentioned another name, and the conversation continued to slice and dice people down to size.

When their food came, They said a few choice words among themselves about the ineptness of this establishment's management.

Suddenly, they all bowed their heads, and the most beautiful prayer thanking the Lord for the food, and asking blessings and giving thanks for all things in the Name of Jesus... it flowed over my soul like a balm.

"Amen" they all chorused.
And immediately, their tongues got back to the negative gossip.

I finished my food... and felt I could not leave without saying something to them. But I didn't want to make a scene. I mean, they could get very angry, and how would that serve Christ?

So I prayed, and suddenly felt maybe a note would work.

So... this is what I wrote on a small note paper, and gave it to them as I went out:

"The prayer I heard from your booth blessed me! I enjoyed hearing it so much!
But I can't say the same about the rest of your conversation.
If I were an unbeliever, the witness of your prayer would have been erased by the witness of your negative gossip.
- Because I love Jesus."

I signed my first name, got up, stopped by their table and said, "Hello, Ladies" with a smile... handed them the note... and scooted.

Do you think I did the right thing?
(I'm really doubting myself now, because I'm usually more gifted with succinctly speaking the truth, than with social grace.)
I think you absolutely did the right thing and I really commend your bravery because a lot of people would do nothing about it God bless you

Upvote 0

LadyOfMystery

Heart of Gold
Mar 25, 2007
North Carolina
✟279,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I believe you did the right thing. Very interesting situation and I would go as far to say maybe you were lead to go in there by God to hear the conversation and do something about it. A little note can go a long way. It might have made them seriously think about how they are witnessing to others.

Good job. :)

Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
<staff edit>
But there should be limits. Evil gossip is as bad as fornication, making the prayer sound blasphemous. Serious sins, perhaps fortunately for our instruction, are not self-contained. They have ramifications, leading to other serious sins, so are all very dangerous.

That is no small sin. It's like some posters, who say something very snarky (something I'm perhaps more than capable of at times), and end their post with the words, 'God bless you'. In such a context, it's like using the Holy Spirit as a weapon of 'holier than thou' condescension, as it reeks of insincerity. Praying for the person without advertising it, is another matter, of course.

Still, if you are still seething, you will need to look to your own interior life. Ideally, it should not have disturbed your interior economy at the time, never mind afterwards. Still, sometimes, easier said than done.

You should have felt truly very sorry for them, anyway, because if they treat Christ's and his Evangelists' explicit Gospel teachings with such effective indifference, if not contempt, where can they go from there ? You did the right thing. Now, their, at least quasi- blasphemous prayer is between them and God. You may have saved their souls.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: FoundInGrace
Upvote 0

ChristianFromKazakhstan

Oct 9, 2016
ALMATY
✟29,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Today, I stopped for a burger, and decided to sit down to eat. I don't usually, but this time, I felt like celebrating. I had just deposited a very nice paycheck in my bank account. :)

Who they were discussing, I did not know, but everything they said was cutting and mean.
Then they mentioned another name, and the conversation continued to slice and dice people down to size.

When their food came, They said a few choice words among themselves about the ineptness of this establishment's management.

Suddenly, they all bowed their heads, and the most beautiful prayer thanking the Lord for the food, and asking blessings and giving thanks for all things in the Name of Jesus... it flowed over my soul like a balm.

I finished my food... and felt I could not leave without saying something to them. But I didn't want to make a scene. I mean, they could get very angry, and how would that serve Christ?

So... this is what I wrote on a small note paper, and gave it to them as I went out:

If I were an unbeliever, the witness of your prayer would have been erased by the witness of your negative gossip.
- Because I love Jesus."

I signed my first name, got up, stopped by their table and said, "Hello, Ladies" with a smile... handed them the note... and scooted.

(I'm really doubting myself now, because I'm usually more gifted with succinctly speaking the truth, than with social grace.)

LOUD APPLAUD from me!!!!

(ᵔᴥᵔ)

Away with hypocrites and Churchianity.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
After only finishing the first page, if it hasn't already been stated, might I remind some of you that we are to, in private (just what the OP did) let our christian brother/sister know what they are dong wrong. Then after a few attempts, not even eat with them if they choose not to listen. Scripture for the asking.

If a town has Christians that would "beat me up or stab me" for doing so, hopefully I'd figure that out ahead of time, and avoid the town altogether.

Or leave a note and run like ****. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dhh712

Mrs. Calvinist Dark Lord
Jul 16, 2013
Gettysburg
✟34,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

- Because I love Jesus."

Brilliant! I would have wanted to say something but not have been able to. Never would have thought of a note! Praise the Lord Jesus for leading you in such a direction. May his grace work in these ladies' hearts in time.

Upvote 0

dhh712

Mrs. Calvinist Dark Lord
Jul 16, 2013
Gettysburg
✟34,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
But it got me to thinking... this is how Christianity has gotten such a name for hypocrisy.
Because unbelievers hear the witness of the unchristian words far louder than the pious words.

That is exactly right. People are far too soft on those who take the Lord's name in vain by acting out very openly as hypocrites. It is understood that we all sin. We need to be fighting the sinfulness in us, not engaging in sinful activities in a casual, comfortable way.

Upvote 0

dhh712

Mrs. Calvinist Dark Lord
Jul 16, 2013
Gettysburg
✟34,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
If the people sitting near her had not identified themselves as Christians, then nothing should have been said. We should though feel a sense of shared responsibility as Christians to behave properly, especially in public.

Right, if they identify themselves as Christians, as part of the invisible catholic church, then they should be happy to hear gentle criticism from a sister in Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dhh712

Mrs. Calvinist Dark Lord
Jul 16, 2013
Gettysburg
✟34,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
<staff edit>They have identified themselves as sisters in Christ, therefore they are not strangers to the woman who left them the note--they are her brethren and should have taken kindly to her pointing out their ungodly example before the watching and listening world.

Upvote 0

PollyJetix

Feb 15, 2017
Virginia
✟42,933.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
<staff edit>

I was angry, not for my own self, but for the Name of Christ.
I did not react in anger.
i prayed about whether or not to do anything.
i would have walked out without doing anything... but then... I felt I just couldn't.
The reputation of Christianity itself, and therefore of Jesus Christ, was at stake.
I could have walked out pretending not to care.
But if it were my best friend in the flesh, who was being misrepresented in public, and publicly humiliated, and I would have walked out, I would have been betraying her.
How could I do any less for the One who died to save my soul?
I did not react in the flesh... except for second-guessing what I did, on here, after I prayed and asked God to direct me.

James 1:5 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.
James 1:6 But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind.

I came in here and asked people's opinion... because I was doubting that God gave me wisdom.
And now, after reading people's responses, I realize God did give me wisdom.

One more thing this is teaching me...
Even if one does the right thing, one can expect some believers to disapprove. :)

Upvote 0

LadyOfMystery

Heart of Gold
Mar 25, 2007
North Carolina
✟279,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It's not judging, it's fact... they were gossiping about a person who wasn't there, then prayed a beautiful prayer.. I think the OP just meant that it set a bad example for any kind of non believer who could have been in their (the OP) spot at the time. What they did was classy, and possibly made a good impact with the people they sent the note to. Besides, when you're out in public and you're talking loud enough for other people to hear every word you say, it automatically becomes everyones business, you have stopped letting it be your own. lol

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
James 3
8 But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil and full of deadly poison. 9 With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the likeness of God; 10 from the same mouth come both blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be this way.

I think you did well. But it should not surprise us that these things happen. Apparently James had the same problem with his flocks. You are correct that it makes for a terrible witness though, and better not to pray aloud at all and bring reproach to the name of Christ. Lord have mercy.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I would only ask one follow-up question ... did you pray for them? And for yourself, lest you fall into any temptation?

Not that I'm chastising you if you happened to fail to do either. But just a reminder (I try to remind myself too) that this should always be our response, whatever else we may do. I frequently fall short myself.

God be with you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FoundInGrace

God's sparrow
Dec 27, 2003
✟38,472.00
Faith
Christian
<staff edit>
I would venture to say that because Polly as a general rule is not an angry person that any anger was righteous anger... And perhaps because she is naturally a calm person God trusted her with this situation knowing she would say something in a way that was good. A note was perfect for this situation.

• Agree
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

bangmegafan

May 31, 2016
India
✟42,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are somewhat right but not completely.

You should have expressed how you felt and what you though on paper. And you should have accepted your mistake by listening to others in public

Remember, whoever did right or wrong, only God has authority to pass judgment but you can't pass judgment whatever might be the case

- Because I love Jesus."

Upvote 0

PollyJetix

Feb 15, 2017
Virginia
✟42,933.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Polly

Do you think you accomplished what you truly wanted to accomplish?
It wasn't about me accomplishing anything. I wanted to point them to Christ, and leave it at that.
I felt that if I had stayed and interacted, it would have drawn attention to me and how I felt, and then they would apologize to me, to make me feel better... and all that wasn't the point.

The point was that I felt God wanted to say something to them.
So I tried to say it in the least "me" way, without getting in their faces and making a fight out of it.

I admit, I don't know it all. I'm a work in progress. Maybe I didn't get it exactly right here.
But it wasn't about me.
It was about my Lord, and how they were misrepresenting Him to the public.

I think I got accomplished what God sent me to do.
I pointed them to Him, and subtracted myself from the equation.
Today, they can go to church and God will draw them to Himself closer.
Maybe that note was part of the equation for them.

Yes, I have prayed for myself... I was careful to do that before writing the note.
And I have prayed for them since.

Upvote 0