Oct 19, 2004
Albuquerque, NM
Visit site
✟27,629.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The loving king if he had cared so much for that other servant of his would have paid or
given a decree to let him out of prison. It was owing viritually near nothing.
a pence \not talents of gold or silver
I just don't see where there was great love from the king for the second man.
It wasn't a debt to the king. Can I forgive you for a debt you have to someone else? That debt is between you and them. Give unto Caesar what is Caesar's. The servant should have forgiven his debtors, before asking to be forgiven his debts.

Upvote 0

bling

Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟794,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God does chastise us and we do pay for sins we commit in this world here in the world. If we smoke, we get sick. If we lie, we lose someone's trust. If we commit adultery, we lose our family. If we cheat, we lose what we won. We are slaves to labor, because Adam betrayed the labor of God. Those are just results of sin, but for committing sin there is nothing we can do to remove it, we can never pay the wages of sin. That's why in the parable it was such a large amount. The only way to remove it is forgiveness, because Jesus paid the wages of sin. The parable is Jesus' answer to Peter's question: how many times should you forgive your brother. His response is saying how can you not forgive 7 times or 70 times 7 when you are forgiven for all. In the Lord's prayer it says "forgive us our debts, as we forgive or debtors." We are forgiven now and we must forgive now, it's not something that will happen in the near or far future, it's something that happens while on earth.

A couple of things:

Are you suggesting the situation you got yourself into as a Christian is the result of past sins? What I have taught even Christians in prison is: “You are where you are not because of the bad you did, but because of the good you can do”. It does not matter if you are “paying society” for some crime or are here because you were falsely accused or because you are being persecuted and you can be let out tomorrow if God could use you better someplace else.

There is nothing in this parable about “Adam” causing anything or Christ paying anything. God’s forgiveness is not the result of Christ’s ransom payment to the kidnappers.

Christ wonderfully answered Peter’s question with 70 times 7, but putting yourself in the place of the apostles and thinking 7 times would be extremely generous, what would be your follow-up question after hearing this answer? (“How am I going to keep from being taken advantage of by my brother?” would be the question on my heart), so does Christ answer that question with this parable because this parable answers that question for me.

Upvote 0

bling

Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟794,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It wasn't a debt to the king. Can I forgive you for a debt you have to someone else? That debt is between you and them. Give unto Caesar what is Caesar's. The servant should have forgiven his debtors, before asking to be forgiven his debts.
God does not work that way, He forgave us first.

Upvote 0

david.d

Oct 19, 2004
Albuquerque, NM
Visit site
✟27,629.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A couple of things:

Are you suggesting the situation you got yourself into as a Christian is the result of past sins? What I have taught even Christians in prison is: “You are where you are not because of the bad you did, but because of the good you can do”. It does not matter if you are “paying society” for some crime or are here because you were falsely accused or because you are being persecuted and you can be let out tomorrow if God could use you better someplace else.

There is nothing in this parable about “Adam” causing anything or Christ paying anything. God’s forgiveness is not the result of Christ’s ransom payment to the kidnappers.

Christ wonderfully answered Peter’s question with 70 times 7, but putting yourself in the place of the apostles and thinking 7 times would be extremely generous, what would be your follow-up question after hearing this answer? (“How am I going to keep from being taken advantage of by my brother?” would be the question on my heart), so does Christ answer that question with this parable because this parable answers that question for me.
That is true, because God uses us in spite of where we put ourselves. But, the truth is if we commit a crime we are punished, even if it's not in prison, you still pay for that crime (physically, mentally, or spiritually). Sin is no different (on earth).

Upvote 0

david.d

Oct 19, 2004
Albuquerque, NM
Visit site
✟27,629.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God does not work that way, He forgave us first.
He has already forgiven us for everything we will ever ask him to forgive and more, but we exist within time and within time we should only ask as we have given. Maybe that's not an important lesson to you, we are all different. It shows me that if the servant would have forgiven his debtors first, he would have never ended up with the tormentor.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PropheticTimes

Lord Have Mercy
Supporter
Dec 17, 2015
Ohio
✟204,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This parable is showing how God forgave the man such a huge debt of sin, yet the man would not forgive his friend for the small sin that he sinned against him.

In the Lord's Prayer it states - "Forgive me my trespasses against You, as I forgive those who trespass against me."

We will be forgiven with the same measure that we forgive others. Just a few examples -

Ephesians 4:32 ESV
Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.
Luke 17:3-4 ESV
Pay attention to yourselves! If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him, and if he sins against you seven times in the day, and turns to you seven times, saying, ‘I repent,’ you must forgive him.”
Mark 11:25 ESV
And whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father also who is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.”
Luke 6:37 ESV
“Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven;
Matthew 6:14 ESV
For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you,
Colossians 3:13 ESV
Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive.

Reactions: david.d
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Jesus is not “directly” talking about God, but indirectly using an earthly king/master to describe how God and the kingdom work.

Yet he is directly talking about God when He says "SO will My Father do to You".

There is nothing in this parable which suggest: the wicked servant’s legal actions against the second servant created a second “debt” with the master (the debt is referred to as “the debt”).

The point in Matthew 18 and Ezek 18 is that the original fully forgiven debt - is fully returned to the one forgiven.

Christ is pointing that just as the debtor owed an impossibly large debt in the illustration - just so each one of us owes a debt to God that we cannot afford to pay - we would not survive it.

So God forgives us that massive debt. But then insists that we forgive others 'in kind' just AS we have surely been forgiven - and Jesus points out that God - in real life - will revoke our forgiveness if we do not forgive others AS we have BEEN forgiven.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The second servant is in prison for legal reasons which can happen with any of us, but with a generous Master like the one being described the master will pay his debt or leave him in there to do the master's work from prison (this is what can happen to us).

The parable does not describe any "master's work" done in prison other than torturing the wicked servant.

Upvote 0

bling

Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟794,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That is true, because God uses us in spite of where we put ourselves. But, the truth is if we commit a crime we are punished, even if it's not in prison, you still pay for that crime (physically, mentally, or spiritually). Sin is no different (on earth).
What hardship do you see Paul going through for being the chief of sinners?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
From a Lutheran or Reformed perspective, the unmerciful servant rejected the grace that had been given to him. We never stop being debtors before God, the unmerciful servant, however, had assumed forgiveness was his by right, and not by social grace. This is not a case of God revoking anything or our forgiveness being dependent on our works, but simply not denying the grace of God.

In the historical context, I believe the parable is aimed at the pharisees and elders, not the hoi polloi that Jesus interacted with. That is another thing to keep in context. It's not aimed at somebody that is abused and angry, it's aimed at people with power who abuse and hurt other people unmercifully.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

david.d

Oct 19, 2004
Albuquerque, NM
Visit site
✟27,629.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What hardship do you see Paul going through for being the chief of sinners?
2 Corinthians 11

Paul seemed to have felt his ministry was a hardship because he was the chief of sinners. A prisoner of the Lord.

Perhaps you have never experienced any hardships that you brought on yourself. I pray you never do, but I find it hard to believe anyone has ever gone without some chastisement from God. Maybe I was harder to nudge along so I have seen it more clearly. You reap what you sow, I've reaped some tares and know their sting.

Upvote 0

bling

Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟794,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The parable does not describe any "master's work" done in prison other than torturing the wicked servant.
right which makes it sound like hell for the first servant, but the second servant was not put there by the Master (God) so this looks like just debtor prison.

Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟213,965.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am teaching an adult class on the parable Matt. 18: 21-35 “The Parable of the Unmerciful Servant” and would like your comments on this parable.

A lot of commentaries (especially Calvinistic Commentaries) tell us what this parable does not teach, but give little support for what it does teach, so what is it teaching us?

What can we hopefully agree with from the information given and please give other options if you have them and scripture to back it up:

1. It starts off ““The kingdom of heaven is like…” so if it is consistent with all other Kingdom Parables every noun and verb in the parable would have to have a parallel spiritual kingdom meaning (stand for something in the kingdom)?

2. Since this is a Kingdom parable could it be talking about a time prior to Christ going to the cross?

3. The “king”/”master” would refer to God since Christ ends with “This is how my Father in heaven will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother from your heart.” Options?

4. The first debtor (man/servant) has to be a sinner, but could this be a saved Christian (servant) and/or just any unbeliever?

5. The “debt” is huge 10,000 bags of Gold (5+ billion dollars) or 10,000 bags of silver (100 million dollars) no matter, either is way above what could be paid back by a servant. Gold or silver, this is virtually an impossible amount for one person to ever owe in the first century and everyone Jesus was addressing would have realized this. Spiritually this debt would represent each of our debts created by our sinning against God and Jesus said: “The man was not able to pay”?

6. The servant did not just slip into this huge debt over night, but would have had to take years or a life time to get so deeply in debt, so he is not coming to the master unaware. To be trusted by the Master with such a huge amount of money; suggest the servant understood economics and the value of the money or would have learned about it over time.

7. The servant asks ‘Give me time,’ he begged. ‘I’ll pay everything back.’ Is this a lie to the master or how could he not know he could not pay it back? Was the Master so stupid as to entrust a stupid servant with this much money?

8. Would/could the Master have felt the servant could pay this back over time?

9. Jesus said: “He forgave him what he owed”, but was that what the servant was asking for?

10. Could the servant have felt: “he got away with something by asking for more time”, “the master is gullible”, “he still owes master but gave him more time”, “the master must like him”?

11. Matt.18:28 “But when that servant went out, he found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred silver coins. He grabbed him and began to choke him. ‘Pay back what you owe me!’ he demanded. This sounds like: the first servant immediate went out and found a fellow servant of the Master with little time elapsing, so is he unloving to a servant of the master?

12. Jesus teaches us in Luke 7:36-50 “… he that is forgiven much loves much…”, so since this first servant was forgiven of such a unbelievable huge debt he would automatically and have to have an unbelievable huge Love which would easily be seen in his actions toward another servant of the master since servants of good masters were almost treated as family members. How could this servant be unloving toward a servant of the Master if he Loved the master?

13. Did the Master expect the servant to show great Love?

14. How could the Master “handed him over to the jailers to be tortured, until he should pay back all he owed.” Since the master had forgiven the debt the servant owed, so the servant owed the Master nothing?

15. If the servant has to payback this unbelievable huge debt before the torture can stop how long will that take and does that not sound like hell?

16. Since the servant shows no great love after the Master forgave him and since the servant still owes the master the huge debt forgiveness must not have taken place even though the master did His part perfectly was there a part the servant had to play to complete the forgiveness transaction?

17. If there is a part the sinner must play (humbly accepting the pure charity) in the forgiveness process would it take anything away from God’s sovereignty?
hi you really asking a lot of speculative questions on this and making much more of the parable than should. A good rule of thumb is not to make the parables the basis for your theology or doctrine. When Jesus taught the disciples to pray part of that prayer begins with our Father who art in heaven...then it gets to forgive us our debts as we forgive others. In this story the 1st servant represents all of us who have a debt to God in sin that we could never pay. God in His mercy will forgive a man of all unrighteousness. Think of David a murderer and adulterer and in his day the law said he should be stoned to death. The Lord forgave him and called him a man after His own heart. Now the rich man is owed a debt and that is like us having someone who has done us harm and when he refused to forgive the other man his debt and extend the same mercy that was shown to him it revealed his heart. The mercy of God is based upon repentance and the one who is born of God is not going to have this mentality. When he was cast into prison the main verse of interpretation is given.
5 “So My heavenly Father also will do to you if each of you, from his heart, does not forgive his brother his trespasses.”
The meditation is not on the forgiveness of God will He take it back that is near blasphemy and sound like you are accusing God of being unjust. The meditation is on how we should forgive others with the same mercy we have been shown.

Upvote 0

bling

Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟794,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
He has already forgiven us for everything we will ever ask him to forgive and more, but we exist within time and within time we should only ask as we have given. Maybe that's not an important lesson to you, we are all different. It shows me that if the servant would have forgiven his debtors first, he would have never ended up with the tormentor.
The first servant lacked Godly type Love which is shown by not forgiving the second servant, but He could have gotten Godly type Love (unselfish Love) if he had truly humbly accepted the Master's forgiveness as a purely charitable gift (Luke 7). He had not "Love" to forgive his fellow servant with prior or after the Master's forgiveness.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟583,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Did God take His forgiveness back?

Jesus on the cross prayed out forgiveness > Luke 23:34 < but did people receive the forgiveness?

By being unloving, they cancelled their own selves out from forgiveness. Because God's forgiveness lives in His all-loving love, where we have this forgiveness while we are living in this all-loving love. This is part of why our Apostle Paul says >

"Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you." (Ephesians 4:31-32)

Our Heavenly Father forgives us kindly and tenderly, in family sharing and caring with Him and one another. So, if we are being unloving, we miss out. And, of course, I am not perfectly loving; but I keep finding how God keeps working with me and correcting me; often I am reminded of how Jesus so generously has had mercy on me, and how Jesus never gave up on any of His disciples > love
"hopes all things" (in 1 Corinthians 13:7).

So, we do well to keep having hope for people, praying forgiveness out, like Jesus has done.

Upvote 0