✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No foreknowledge, but making it happen.
Thanks for clearing that up. On other threads people define the Biblical use of Predestine as God has Foreknowledge and based on seeing what people freely choose in their fallen state He then Predestines them. Is this your view too so I can address the OP on your understanding of the relationship of the two terms?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for clearing that up. On other threads people define the Biblical use of Predestine as God has Foreknowledge and based on seeing what people freely choose in their fallen state He then Predestines them. Is this your view too so I can address the OP on your understanding of the relationship of the two terms?
I believe man has free will and God always tries to attract man to him.

• Agree
Reactions: Phronema
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
  • Agree
Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Because God doesn't want to force anyone to love him.

An oft-repeated line by many a Christian but never the Bible.

What causes the will of a man? Himself? What caused the will that caused itself? This is one of the few matters wherein one can claim that a cause is its own cause, yet fail to see the logical farce. God is the only cause without a prior cause. Anything else to which we ascribe this condition is a false god.

Upvote 0

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Absolute foreknowledge negates free will, IMHO.

If you have free will, that means there's uncertainty. It could be this, or it could be that.

If what you will choose is known with 100% certainty prior to you choosing it, then there was no true choice in the matter.

• Agree
Reactions: martymonster
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe man has free will and God always tries to attract man to him.
I agree. I also believe God has His purpose and will as well.

Adam and Eve were created with the ability to obey or disobey. They were told not to eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

With that in mind we are told:

Ephesians 1: ESV

3Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, 4even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love 5he predestined us for adoption to himself as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, 6to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved. (ESV)

And chose us here is select deliberately:

1586 eklégomai (from 1537 /ek, "out of" and 3004 /légō, "speaking to a conclusion") – properly, to select (choose) out of, by a highly deliberate choice (i.e. real heart-preference) with a definite outcome (as with the destination of divine selection for salvation).

Looks like before Adam and Eve and the world was created, YHWH had a plan of Redemption. Given that, the disobedience of Adam and Eve was part of that plan.

And yet God did not shove the “apple” in their mouth and Adam and Eve acted according to what nature they had. Which I might add I hear folks say we are somehow restored to before we decide to choose God. Strange as they failed in whatever nature they had. But I digress.

I’m sure the “Calvinistic monster God” straw man is around the corner so I will state the point clearly.

The Apostle Paul tells us God had a plan for salvation before creation. Then God created Adam and Eve. Y’all do the math if you want but that’s what we call what God purposes happens. Aka God’s Sovereignty in His own creation.

Is that fair? Everyone needs to explore that carefully. Sure I can see a Christian just learning the faith and exploring asking that question but a mature well read in Scriptures and walking in the faith? Not a chance.

We should be mindful what the Apostle tells us in Romans 11.

Romans 11: ESV

33Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways!

34“For who has known the mind of the Lord,
or who has been his counselor?”
35“Or who has given a gift to him
that he might be repaid?”

36For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen. (ESV)

Upvote 0