• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Did God heal autism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

derpytia

Compassion.
Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2016
United States
✟287,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
It seems you really struggle with your son's autism, brother. I pray that God will uplift you and provide for you and your family.

As for your question, God can do anything however He wants, whenever He wants. That being said, if God has chosen to not take away your son's autism then there is a reason for it. Yes, there will be struggles and times where autism gets in your way. But God allowed the autism for His purposes. Everything is under His control. God may not ever take away the autism/asperger's but He will use it for something good be it big or small, be it in your life or someone else's.

• Agree
Reactions: *LILAC
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is a loaded question.
There is autism with pathology and autism without.

The pathology that accompanies autism (a.k.a. co-morbid conditions) can be healed/delivered just like anyone else.

The prophets in the Old Testament all looked like autistics without said co-morbid conditions. I believe that it is tied closely to the gift of prophecy (in Romans 12:6).

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Autism, by itself, is not a retardation. It is like being left-handed, but in our neurology/way of thinking, instead. A lot of scientists, engineers, etc. have the good parts of autism without the bad extra parts. (It is those bad parts that need healing/deliverance.)

I am autistic (with no co-morbid conditions). And I have been through deliverance for the bad stuff. Two of my children have pronounced to severe co-morbid conditions. In those areas they could benefit from healing and/or deliverance, but I suspect that, like me, they will still be autistic afterwards. Just squeaky clean in their autism.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
there is proof that autism can be passed to descendants thru gene,...
Where? Autism Speaks (USA) has been searching for such a gene, but has yet to find one.

Upvote 0

Plokijuh

Jun 4, 2018
ARMIDALE
✟9,353.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is a genetic component to autism. Temple Grandin has helpfully outlined the research in her book "the Autistic Brain". Rather than there being a single gene that can be specifically tested for, there are genetic clusters that are closely associated with autism. I agree with the above poster who distinguishes comorbids from underlying neurology, but I also think Temple Grandin's story is very important because she has severe autism and has worked extremely hard through her life to battle those comorbids. I think where I'm at is this: neurodiversity is part of God's good creation that has been broken by the fall. I think it's right and good to ask for healing and reprieve from the difficulties resulting from autism, but to recognise as well that neurotypicals have all kinds of burdens that autistic individuals just aren't as incumbered by. In my personal experience (which is admittedly as high functioning, but the struggle is still significant) the most difficult part of autism isn't the neurology itself, but neurotypicals trying to get me to play a game I just wasn't wired to play. It's overwhelming and exhausting but ultimately the goal of the Christian life isn't to become more neurotypical, but more like Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's overwhelming and exhausting but ultimately the goal of the Christian life isn't to become more neurotypical, but more like Christ.
Amen and amen.

Upvote 0

Jack Meredith

Sep 1, 2017
Missoula, Montana
✟17,370.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Divorced
That is a loaded question.
There is autism with pathology and autism without.

The pathology that accompanies autism (a.k.a. co-morbid conditions) can be healed/delivered just like anyone else.

The prophets in the Old Testament all looked like autistics without said co-morbid conditions. I believe that it is tied closely to the gift of prophecy (in Romans 12:6).

I have long wondered if the apostle Nathanael was an Aspie.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have long wondered if the apostle Nathanael was an Aspie.
I've never noticed anything in particular about Nathanael to make me suspect that, but I'd be interested in [reading] your observations.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Did God heal autism?
People said God rarely heal autism, why?

There are times where irt states that Jesus healed all in particular places. One would assume if there were those with autism in those areas who wanted to be healed, were healed.

Does He rarely heal autism? All I can say is years ago He healed my scoliosis in literally 2 seconds. My spine cracked and straightened, and hundreds witnessed it. But at the same time, I asked for healing of another condition, which He did not grant. He healed what He chose, and I avoided surgery where they were planning to place a rod in my back. But I also know there are people who have had to undergo the surgery.

Would He heal me of my Asperger's? Experience tells me, maybe. He certainly could. Personally, I don't consider it as a defect or something to correct, so I don't have any plans to see if He'll fix what I don't consider to be broken.

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Jack Meredith

Sep 1, 2017
Missoula, Montana
✟17,370.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Divorced

When I look at the personality characteristics of the autistic, I see a need for and expectation of honesty and justice. Literal thinking, rigid thinking, naivety, gullibility, over-trusting, truth seeking and sharing, and even some not-so-directly related characteristics, all speak to a lack of guile, a la Nathanael. I know that I am weird for being weird, but I don't believe that my dislike of anyone or my disagreement with anyone gives me any right to do them wrong. I will do right to you without respect to my feelings for you. I am a truth seeker from childhood and have always been suspicious of any conclusion I come to that fit too readily into my belief system. Are you other auties out there like that? Or am I really weird?

The thought occurred to me that God is autistic. I immediately rejected it as absurd, but it bounced right back. I considered it. Not that God has a defect (autism is not a defect), but that pure autism in a perfect person would look a lot like God. "YHWH" is "I AM THAT I AM." All of creation is about Him and His glory, but not in an exclusively self-centered way. The internal love in the Trinity can be seen as autistic without too great a stretch. As extremely autistic as I am, I still need, though I hate, human contact. (I'm not prejudiced, I hate everybody, self included. ;))

Not that I compare myself favorably to God - I am exceedingly wretched - but I love talking to people about truth and truths, about what we can know and how we can know it. I hate lies passionately and can seem excessive in my zeal for truth.

Am I going to regret posting this? Please don't call me a blasphemer or heretic; I am seeking here. I will entertain any non-illogical idea till it is proved to be false.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am a truth seeker from childhood and have always been suspicious of any conclusion I come to that fit too readily into my belief system. Are you other auties out there like that? Or am I really weird?
Since we are at a social/communication disadvantage, I believe that we learn to use hacks to compensate for that deficit. Using the scientific method, we learn to better interpret the facts surrounding a situation. Because of that, we would demand objective truth to accommodate that process. Consequently, we demand the same from ourselves to facilitate that process in others (whether they want it or not! ;)).

I am learning to make space for my feelings & emotions, but that is in a place that doesn't conflict with said objectivity.
I hate lies passionately and can seem excessive in my zeal for truth.
Having been in the military, I respect the role of tactical lies, but it doesn't make me any better at them. It is easier for me to withhold information than it is for me to falsely represent it.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Jack Meredith
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When I look at the personality characteristics of the autistic, I see a need for and expectation of honesty and justice. Literal thinking, rigid thinking, naivety, gullibility, over-trusting, truth seeking and sharing, and even some not-so-directly related characteristics, all speak to a lack of guile, a la Nathanael. I know that I am weird for being weird, but I don't believe that my dislike of anyone or my disagreement with anyone gives me any right to do them wrong. I will do right to you without respect to my feelings for you. I am a truth seeker from childhood and have always been suspicious of any conclusion I come to that fit too readily into my belief system. Are you other auties out there like that? Or am I really weird?

The thought occurred to me that God is autistic. I immediately rejected it as absurd, but it bounced right back. I considered it. Not that God has a defect (autism is not a defect), but that pure autism in a perfect person would look a lot like God. "YHWH" is "I AM THAT I AM." All of creation is about Him and His glory, but not in an exclusively self-centered way. The internal love in the Trinity can be seen as autistic without too great a stretch. As extremely autistic as I am, I still need, though I hate, human contact. (I'm not prejudiced, I hate everybody, self included. ;))

Not that I compare myself favorably to God - I am exceedingly wretched - but I love talking to people about truth and truths, about what we can know and how we can know it. I hate lies passionately and can seem excessive in my zeal for truth.

Am I going to regret posting this? Please don't call me a blasphemer or heretic; I am seeking here. I will entertain any non-illogical idea till it is proved to be false.
Interesting concept.

I am going to think on that one for a while.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Did God heal autism?
People said God rarely heal autism, why?
Jesus healed everyone who came to Him, and even those who were brought to Him to be healed, in Scripture.

People don't come to Jesus today to be healed.

Or, do they ? < shrugs > Jesus did not change. There's lots of different people though.

There's also over a dozen books available about others being healed.

Some believe, most don't. No one can make them believe if they don't.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.