God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That's just the thing - people raised by the science denial crowd will end up thinking that eternal life is a lie too. That's the danger when you resort to telling lies because you hope it serves a greater good.

Let's say that you were raised by a cult that always insisted on four things:

1. There is no such place as Alaska. It's a conspiracy and it doesn't and never existed.
2. The world is only 200 years old. Any history or records from before then are fake.
3. Italian people are evil, in fact they are just demons in human form. You should never trust them, and never associate with them.
4. Never run into the street and play in traffic, you will get hit by a car and die.

As you go out into the world, you soon learn that 1, 2, and 3 are false. So you naturally think that 4 is false as well. Then you get hit by a car.

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟917,556.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
QV please:

Did God firewall our solar system?

I don't believe in God... but if I did I wouldn't believe he fire-walled the Solar system with this phenomena.

If God put a fire wall around something it would work... not just leave some interesting readings for our probes.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,854.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If God put a fire wall around something it would work... not just leave some interesting readings for our probes.
I think it does work, by keeping out harmful radiation and plasma and such.

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟917,556.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
I think it does work, by keeping out harmful radiation and plasma and such.
I doubt the difference would even be measurable on Earth.

Now if you want to praise a natural phenomena for protecting us, the Earth's magnetic field and Jupiter's gravity well are better candidates.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟236,488.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Let's say that you were raised by a cult that always insisted on four things:

1. There is no such place as Alaska. It's a conspiracy and it doesn't and never existed.
2. The world is only 200 years old. Any history or records from before then are fake.
3. Italian people are evil, in fact they are just demons in human form. You should never trust them, and never associate with them.
4. Never run into the street and play in traffic, you will get hit by a car and die.

As you go out into the world, you soon learn that 1, 2, and 3 are false. So you naturally think that 4 is false as well. Then you get hit by a car.
But, but, but, in regard to point 3, are you saying The Godfather is a work of fiction? :)

Upvote 0