✟45,191.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What’s behind that assumption? Just curious as to what your thinking is
Well originally I was thinking there are three possibilities.
  1. God determined his own nature
  2. Some factor outside of God determined his nature
  3. There is no reason his nature is what it is. It's essentially just random.
One is obviously circular, so we may as well say God created himself. Two would mean that God exists in some spiritual realm and that he is subject to the laws of this realm. Three would mean that God didn't necessarily have to have the attributes he has and that there is no reason for his nature or existence.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One is obviously circular, so we may as well say God created himself. Two would mean that God exists in some spiritual realm and that he is subject to the laws of this realm. Three would mean that God didn't necessarily have to have the attributes he has and that there is no reason for his nature or existence.

It’s the contrast between this and the assertion in your post ‘most people agree....eternal’. If you accept that God is eternal then concepts involving any relation to time like ‘before’ or ‘after’ etc don’t apply. There is no before or after in eternity, there just is, and God ‘is’ in eternity, i.e his existence and nature are complete and absolute, not subject to the possibility of change or having been different at some point. He expresses different aspects of his nature in different ways, but these expressions are not differences in his nature, just different expressions of it. For your question to be applicable, God would need to be bound to time, to have had a beginning in time, and that is not the God of the bible.

Upvote 0

Everybodyknows

The good guys lost
Dec 19, 2016
Australia
✟45,191.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It’s the contrast between this and the assertion in your post ‘most people agree....eternal’. If you accept that God is eternal then concepts involving any relation to time like ‘before’ or ‘after’ etc don’t apply. There is no before or after in eternity, there just is, and God ‘is’ in eternity, i.e his existence and nature are complete and absolute, not subject to the possibility of change or having been different at some point. He expresses different aspects of his nature in different ways, but these expressions are not differences in his nature, just different expressions of it. For your question to be applicable, God would need to be bound to time, to have had a beginning in time, and that is not the God of the bible.
I'm not thinking of God within time, nor am I saying that he changed in any way.
Answer me this question:
Is there a reason for God's Nature?

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The only answer is God’s answer to Moses - ‘I am’. Reading through Job might fill that out a bit, particularly the later chapters, although it won’t necessarily give you a ready answer it might give you some additional perspective. I’d suggest praying for insight and understanding into this question; if you think about what you are asking, you are asking a bunch of people to explain something that only God can really give you an answer on. If you want a philosophical answer then you could say the reason for God’s nature is God, i.e because he is absolute in all of his qualities he can only be absolute in all of his qualities, e.g God is not just loving he is love, his love is absolute and cannot be anything other than absolute. If it were, then he would no longer be God.

Upvote 0

Everybodyknows

The good guys lost
Dec 19, 2016
Australia
✟45,191.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The only answer is God’s answer to Moses - ‘I am’. Reading through Job might fill that out a bit, particularly the later chapters, although it won’t necessarily give you a ready answer it might give you some additional perspective. I’d suggest praying for insight and understanding into this question; if you think about what you are asking, you are asking a bunch of people to explain something that only God can really give you an answer on.
When I started the thread I hadn't really thought about it to hard. I didn't realise the philosophical can of worms I was opening. I think the answer is probably beyond human comprehension, but it's been interesting to see different views nonetheless.

If you want a philosophical answer then you could say the reason for God’s nature is God, i.e because he is absolute in all of his qualities he can only be absolute in all of his qualities, e.g God is not just loving he is love, his love is absolute and cannot be anything other than absolute. If it were, then he would no longer be God.
Are you essentially saying that God is self determining if the reason for his nature is within himself? Did you vote yes in the survey?

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you essentially saying that God is self determining if the reason for his nature is within himself? Did you vote yes in the survey?

I don't think you can see this as self-determination. If God just is, and has never not been, then there was never any process of him becoming God.

Upvote 0

Everybodyknows

The good guys lost
Dec 19, 2016
Australia
✟45,191.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think you can see this as self-determination. If God just is, and has never not been, then there was never any process of him becoming God.
Yes ok, there is no process of him becoming God, that would mean he's not eternal. But logically if he is the reason for his own nature then he exists in an eternally perpetual state of self determinism. This would be option 1 from my post #162. Otherwise if he just is what he is because he has always been then that would be option 3.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
What factor outside of God could you be referring to? God has no beginning or end, so then God had whatever nature He had and then something else changed who God is?

Upvote 0