Did God create dragons?

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I read that and it seems to be speaking of Leviathan, which by description could be as well called dinosaur. I believe God created those and I agree that they are wrongly explained to be just myths. :)

Flames come out of it's mouth. It flies. It has got impenetrable scales. It goes in water. It has sharp teeth. It is fearsome looking. Sounds like a dragon to me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

majj27

Mr. Owl has had quite enough
Jun 2, 2014
✟82,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
If a dragon existed during the time of Job according to Job 41, then why is it so hard to believe they continued to survive at a later time? You do realize that bears and other animals do hybernate, right?

Because there is no evidence of them existing during the Medieval Era. None at all. And you have to twist reality until it shrieks in order to argue otherwise.

They're as real as manticores and mermaids.

• Winner
Reactions: Jadis40
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Because there is no evidence of them existing during the Medieval Era. None at all. And you have to twist reality until it shrieks in order to argue otherwise.

They're as real as manticores and mermaids.

In 2004, a skull was discovered that looked a lot like a dragon head. It is called the "Dracorex."

Also, did you live during medieval times and traveled all over the world?
Did you examine the many reports about dragons through out history?
Or are you just shaking your head and folding your arms and saying, "No, not possible"?

In addition, there are new animal discoveries every year.

Top 10 New Species Discovered 2017
Top 10 new species of 2016 | EarthSky.org
The 21 most excellent new animal species of 2015
Top 20 New Species Discovered in 2014 | Biology | Sci-News.com

So just because the general population is not aware of such creatures until they are discovered does not mean that they did not exist.

Also, the Bible describes a dragon like creature in Job 41. So they are real and not a myth if you believe the Bible. Whether they later died out does not change them into a myth. The dodo bird died out in 1681 but nobody thinks the dodo bird is a myth. It existed at one time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Actually animals did not "breath" fire.
However they do expel methane which is flammable.
And they do expel their breath, that depending on the air temperature, can look like smoke.
Stories told are by their observation revealed by their choice of descriptive words.

Job 41
[19] Out of his mouth go burning lamps, and sparks of fire leap out.
[20] Out of his nostrils goeth smoke, as out of a seething pot or caldron.
[21] His breath kindleth coals, and a flame goeth out of his mouth.

God Bless,
SBC

Verse 21 (Job 41:21) says a flame goes out of his mouth. Sure sounds like this creature breathes fire to me. If you want to get technical behind the mechanics of how that works, that is another matter, but the Bible describes a creature that breathes fire. It is that simple. It is your choice to believe that or not. Remember, the parable of the sower. The seed is the Word of God. So whether you believe the Scripture here or not is your choice. I believe all Scripture is profitable for doctrine and training in righteousness (2 Timothy 3:16-17). This would include the reality of dragons.

Upvote 0

Jadis40

Sep 19, 2004
Indiana, USA
✟47,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Dragons that look like this and breathe fire:

magma_dragon_by_tsaoshin-dazc6fq.png

Are creatures that have never existed, and are purely the creation from the imagination of man. And dinosaurs? They died out 65 million years ago. Also the idea of Leviathan (a representation of chaos) is just a take on ancient near eastern mythology, and the battle between Tiamat and Marduk.

I'll refer you to this page.

Leviathan - Draconika

Here's a Jewish take on Leviathan: LEVIATHAN AND BEHEMOTH - JewishEncyclopedia.com

Last edited:
Upvote 0

majj27

Mr. Owl has had quite enough
Jun 2, 2014
✟82,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
In 2004, a skull was discovered that looked a lot like a dragon head. It is called the "Dracorex."

That's a dinosaur skull from the late Cretaceous. It was given the name as a tribute to the Harry Potter series.

Also, did you live during medieval times and traveled all over the world?
Did you examine the many reports about dragons through out history?
Or are you just shaking your head and folding your arms and saying, "No, not possible"?

Did I live in the medieval times? No. Did you?
However, the people who DID made records of all kinds of stuff. And you'd think that a large, flying, invulnerable, fire-breathing monster would be 1) written about A LOT and 2) leave some sort of evidence behind, like cities burned to a pile of ash, or armies reduced to charred bone.

We don't have those. Nor do we have a SINGLE dragon skeleton, nor a preserved dragon hide. We have legends in stories. Those aren't historically reliable, anymore than Beowulf is an accurate account of Scandanavian history.

In addition, there are new animal discoveries every year.

Top 10 New Species Discovered 2017
Top 10 new species of 2016 | EarthSky.org
The 21 most excellent new animal species of 2015
Top 20 New Species Discovered in 2014 | Biology | Sci-News.com

So just because the general population is not aware of such creatures until they are discovered does not mean that they did not exist.

And absence of of evidence of dragons does not somehow confirm their existence. If someone found a verifiable dragon skeleton from 1100 AD, I'd revise my thinking on the subject.

No one has.

Also, the Bible describes a dragon like creature in Job 41. So they are real and not a myth if you believe the Bible. Whether they later died out does not change them into a myth. The dodo bird died out in 1681 but nobody thinks the dodo bird is a myth. It existed at one time.

The Leviathan in Job is basically a nasty Sea Serpent, yes? Did you know that the motif of a mighty sea serpent (representing the forces of chaos) being vanquished by a cultural hero or god (representing the forceful imposition of order upon chaos) is very common among most Middle Eastern religions? Marduk slaying Tiamat, Hadad defeating Lotan, Ninurta overcoming the seven-headed hydra, and the Jewish midrash, where God killed the female leviathan so they would not increase their numbers and consume all the world. It would be kind of a shock to find that a middle-eastern culture such as the Hebrew people NOT having such a story in their legends.

It even has a name for it: Chaoskampf (the struggle against chaos). It's pretty ubiquitous. Notice that even in Norse, Greek, and Vedic mythology this motif is found.

But in all of that, not a single one of the monsters immortalized in verse and prose is a real beastie. There is no Jormungandr encircling the world. Illuyanka isn't prowling the heavens to steal hearts and eyes. There is no Vritra holding back the waters of all the rivers behind his 99 fortresses. The world is not formed from the corpse of Tiamat. And there were no dragons ravaging the land in the middle ages.

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟400,885.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Scripture uses terms like Leviathan and Hades to illustrate higher things, using imagery man can know. It does not mean that Leviathan as understood in mythology is real; viz., a literal dragon. Similarly, when Scripture talks about Hades, it does not affirm Hades as understood in Greek mythology, which in itself is false. They are simply figurative images that points to Satan and Hell.

If we were to take these things literally, by logic of consistency, we also have to believe that God has literal wings when Scripture talks about seeking refuge under his wings. Or that Jesus is a door.

Reactions: Jadis40
Upvote 0

SBC

Jul 9, 2017
US
✟38,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Verse 21 (Job 41:21) says a flame goes out of his mouth. Sure sounds like this creature breathes fire to me. If you want to get technical behind the mechanics of how that works, that is another matter, but the Bible describes a creature that breathes fire. It is that simple.

Well I don't believe things with the breath of life (from God) in them, inhale or exhale (which is breathing) Fire.

However I do believe WHAT some animals, WHO EAT LARGE amounts of plants and grasses, DO exhale gases that are flammable.

It is your choice to believe that or not.

It's my choice to understand what they were describing what they saw.

Remember, the parable of the sower.

I remember that parable and the others as well. Do you? Did you acknowledge that knowledge without understanding keeps one from wisdom?

The Seed is the Word of God.

I am well aware who the Seed of, Word of, Power of, Wisdom of God is.

So whether you believe the Scripture here or not is your choice.

I believe Scripture, and also well know God allowed men to use their own words to describe things, to convey an image to others.
I believe Job's description well conveyed what he observed.

No I do not believe Fire clustered around large animals for them to breath in and then breath out Fire - but I do believe their diet consisted of enough plants and grasses that mixed in the stomach to cause an expelling of flammable gases, and don't doubt at times flammable gases actually flamed.

I believe all Scripture is profitable for doctrine and training in righteousness (2 Timothy 3:16-17).

Do you also think Understanding of Scripture is profitable?

This would include the reality of dragons.

I have said the same, so it seems we agree on that.

God Bless,
SBC

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Dragons that look like this and breathe fire:

magma_dragon_by_tsaoshin-dazc6fq.png

Are creatures that have never existed, and are purely the creation from the imagination of man. And dinosaurs? They died out 65 million years ago. Also the idea of Leviathan (a representation of chaos) is just a take on ancient near eastern mythology, and the battle between Tiamat and Marduk.

I'll refer you to this page.

Leviathan - Draconika

Here's a Jewish take on Leviathan: LEVIATHAN AND BEHEMOTH - JewishEncyclopedia.com

If anyone were to read Job plainly, God is describing an actual creature to Job in Job 41 among other common creatures that we know about. The end of Job 38 talks about lions and the raven. In Job 39, we see a description of goats,
That's a dinosaur skull from the late Cretaceous. It was given the name as a tribute to the Harry Potter series.

Did I live in the medieval times? No. Did you?
However, the people who DID made records of all kinds of stuff. And you'd think that a large, flying, invulnerable, fire-breathing monster would be 1) written about A LOT and 2) leave some sort of evidence behind, like cities burned to a pile of ash, or armies reduced to charred bone.

We don't have those. Nor do we have a SINGLE dragon skeleton, nor a preserved dragon hide. We have legends in stories. Those aren't historically reliable, anymore than Beowulf is an accurate account of Scandanavian history.

And absence of of evidence of dragons does not somehow confirm their existence. If someone found a verifiable dragon skeleton from 1100 AD, I'd revise my thinking on the subject.

No one has.

The Leviathan in Job is basically a nasty Sea Serpent, yes? Did you know that the motif of a mighty sea serpent (representing the forces of chaos) being vanquished by a cultural hero or god (representing the forceful imposition of order upon chaos) is very common among most Middle Eastern religions? Marduk slaying Tiamat, Hadad defeating Lotan, Ninurta overcoming the seven-headed hydra, and the Jewish midrash, where God killed the female leviathan so they would not increase their numbers and consume all the world. It would be kind of a shock to find that a middle-eastern culture such as the Hebrew people NOT having such a story in their legends.

It even has a name for it: Chaoskampf (the struggle against chaos). It's pretty ubiquitous. Notice that even in Norse, Greek, and Vedic mythology this motif is found.

But in all of that, not a single one of the monsters immortalized in verse and prose is a real beastie. There is no Jormungandr encircling the world. Illuyanka isn't prowling the heavens to steal hearts and eyes. There is no Vritra holding back the waters of all the rivers behind his 99 fortresses. The world is not formed from the corpse of Tiamat. And there were no dragons ravaging the land in the middle ages.

No. The creature in Job 41 is described among other animals like ostriches, peakcocks, lions, and a raven, etc. It is said to have impenetrable scales, sharp teeth, to fly, to go in water, and to breath fire. So basically you have a description of a serpent that flies, breathes fire, has super tough scales, and can go in water. That is a dragon. That is not some standard sea serpent. It flies and breathes fire. God describes this creature to Job along with other animals. Your not accepting what Job 41 says does not change what it says. Then again, there are people who think the story of Jonah is just a myth and Jonah did not really go inside the belly of some kind of sea creature, fish, or whale.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Robert76

Robert
Jul 19, 2017
Central Ohio
✟7,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If God compared the devil to a dragon, then that means God just compared our adversary to a make believe fictional creature. However, there is nothing more than the devil wants than for men to think he is fictional. Yet, God is not the author of confusion. We read in the story of Job about the Leviathan (Which is an exact description of what a dragon would be like). At the end of the book of Job: God is telling Job about his amazing creation and this dragon like creature is a part of that creation. People have a hard time with accepting things that are miraculous within God's Word so they just write it off as fiction or as a fable. But they are wrong. God's Word is true.

Check out this video here:

Well done!

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well I don't believe things with the breath of life (from God) in them, inhale or exhale (which is breathing) Fire.

However I do believe WHAT some animals, WHO EAT LARGE amounts of plants and grasses, DO exhale gases that are flammable.

No. The Leviathan is a creature described after ostriches, peacocks, lions, and the raven, etc. Your lack of not believing the Bible is simply that. Not believing it. There are people who do not believe in a six (24 hour) day creation. This is what the text says and yet people cannot understand that God has the power to create things this way. They do not have enough faith to believe what is written plainly. God is a miracle worker. So God can create an animal that can breath fire. He describes this animal in Job 41.

You said:
It's my choice to understand what they were describing what they saw.

People have a choice to jump off buildings, but it is not the right choice to make. The Bible is clear that this was a real creature and not metaphorical because God is describing this creature alongside other normal animals you are familar with.

You said:
I remember that parable and the others as well. Do you? Did you acknowledge that knowledge without understanding keeps one from wisdom?

I am well aware who the Seed of, Word of, Power of, Wisdom of God is.

I believe Scripture, and also well know God allowed men to use their own words to describe things, to convey an image to others.
I believe Job's description well conveyed what he observed.

And that was a description of an animal alongside other normal animals that you are aware of. You cannot just hit the "unbelief" button because you cannot accept the reality of what God's Word says plainly. This is like the Gap Theory where folks put a gap between verses 1 and 2 in Genesis when there is no indication in the text that this is so. People do not like Genesis and the book of Job. They cannot see God as a super miracle worker.

You said:
No I do not believe Fire clustered around large animals for them to breath in and then breath out Fire - but I do believe their diet consisted of enough plants and grasses that mixed in the stomach to cause an expelling of flammable gases, and don't doubt at times flammable gases actually flamed.

Job says this creature breathed fire. This creature was mentioned alongside other animals. You either believe the BIble here or you don't believe it. It might seem impossible to you to believe such a creature exists, but with God all things are possible.

You said:
Do you also think Understanding of Scripture is profitable?

Scripture cannot be entirely profitable if we regulate certain things within them as being as fables when they are not. What's next? Is Jesus a fable because it is impossible for a man to raise from the dead?

Surely not. Jesus is alive. Our Savior lives.
Just as dragons onced lived and possibly may even still live today.

Upvote 0

Living Soul

Aug 28, 2017
New England
✟21,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It said in Revelations that a great red dragon, otherwise known as Satan will wait for the baby to come out of the woman, to devour it. So we know that God created all living things, but I'm not sure if dragons, dinasours, insects, flies are part of His creation.

Would've been cool if OP quoted some scripture from Revelation with this question.

Revelation 12 clearly uses A LOT of symbolism to describe events that are yet to unfold to us. The word dragon (regardless of translation errors) is absolutely a reasonable way to describe Satan here.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
You need to quit while you're behind. Dragons, a mythological creature, not a real one, became "rare" in the middle ages? The gorilla and and orangutan were "myths" based on what exact evidence?

How is it always true that the one who says I'm crazy
is the one who needs to learn something? In this case,
you need to learn history, or at least keep your foot on
the floor and out of your mouth.
Mythical Animals That Turned Out to Be Real
First depiction of orangutan reveals 'human that transformed into beast for its sins' | Daily Mail Online

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SBC

Jul 9, 2017
US
✟38,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
No. The Leviathan is a creature described after ostriches, peacocks, lions, and the raven, etc. Your lack of not believing the Bible is simply that. Not believing it.

Curb your tongue buddy when applying your understanding to me!

God calls many things that are not as if they were.
Understanding OF the knowledge is what is paramount.

God Bless,
SBC

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Curb your tongue buddy when applying your understanding to me!

God calls many things that are not as if they were.
Understanding OF the knowledge is what is paramount.

God Bless,
SBC

Do you believe the story of Jonah is a fable?
I remember one pastor who thought this way.
The point I am getting at is that the Leviathan is mentioned next to other normal animals you are aware of. If you take offense to me pointing that at to you, then by all means you are free to do that. But you are merely taking offense to the knowledge of God's Word and not me, my friend.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Would look like this as a fossil:
dracorex.jpg

Then there is the bombardier beetle. This little guy shows us that God can create animal that puts out super heated chemicals at about 212 degrees fahrenheit (similar to how a dragon can breath fire). This little bug also defies Evolution, too.

• Agree
Reactions: pat34lee
Upvote 0