Silicon Valley
✟23,995.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It seems the most popular opinion is that Satan possessed a snake, using it as a mouthpiece to communicate with Eve. There is also an opinion that the snake was a dragon which would explain the idea of a serpent having legs, and losing them due to being cursed for it's act of deception. And of course there's a view that Genesis simply uses symbolic imagery, rendering the account non-literal, perhaps to varying degrees.

I think most of us would agree that Eve did in fact have communication with Satan, and I do believe this account in Genesis is literal. I however, at the moment, do not think a literal snake was involved in this incident.

What is your opinion?

• Useful
Reactions: DennisTate

Semper-Fi

Supporter
May 26, 2019
Pacific north west
✟398,672.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The ancestors of snakes did have legs

The whole genetic apparatus for developing
legs is still there. But a mutation in the gene,
was broken or suppressed. This was done in
the Genesis account in the garden.

The bible shows that demons and satan,
can posses animals and people, and talk
through them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yes, through the devil. Some people say that idea was created by St. Justin Martyr but we have some reference in Revelation, the Apocryphal "Life of Adam and Eve" and in Wisdom of Solomon where it says "through the devil evil came into the world". Besides, the scholars people use are like 800 years older than Justin Martyr.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟321,755.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It seems the most popular opinion is that Satan possessed a snake, using it as a mouthpiece to communicate with Eve. There is also an opinion that the snake was a dragon which would explain the idea of a serpent having legs, and losing them due to being cursed for it's act of deception. And of course there's a view that Genesis simply uses symbolic imagery, rendering the account non-literal, perhaps to varying degrees.

I think most of us would agree that Eve did in fact have communication with Satan, and I do believe this account in Genesis is literal. I however, at the moment, do not think a literal snake was involved in this incident.

What is your opinion?

This is likely the origin of the serpent in the garden. It is an image of a legged serpent found at the Ishtar gate of ancient Babylon.

220px-20131205_Istanbul_056_(cropped).jpg

Upvote 0

Roderick Spode

Nov 12, 2019
Silicon Valley
✟23,995.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The ancestors of snakes did have legs

The whole genetic apparatus for developing
legs is still there. But a mutation in the gene,
was broken or suppressed. This was done in
the Genesis account in the garden.

The bible shows that demons and satan,
can posses animals and people, and talk
through them.
The description of a snake by the author seems to accommodate his contemporary view as opposed to a blessed member of the animal kingdom before the curse. Moses for instance certainly would have understood a snake in the description used which I think is simply of Satan. I don't think there was any visual involved anymore than Adam and Eve actually seeing God in a physical sense. Part of the blessed animal kingdom included creeping things. Creatures that even they had legs, were close to the ground (could easily get a mouthful of dirt). So being a created creature in the Garden close to the ground was not a curse.

I see no reason to think that the author is simply using a snake (like a common middle eastern cobra) to describe Satan. Maybe because the author had no other name to go by, or maybe he didn't want to give Satan any particular credit as being "lofty", or "elevated".

Eve's focus was on the temptation, not the tempter, in my opinion. Satan was certainly subtle, which I would suggest implies he was near invisible in contrast to what was tempting Eve.

Upvote 0

Roderick Spode

Nov 12, 2019
Silicon Valley
✟23,995.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is likely the origin of the serpent in the garden. It is an image of a legged serpent found at the Ishtar gate of ancient Babylon.

View attachment 266592
I think that the account in Genesis stirred the imaginations of many ancients to follow. A more contemporary version similar to this was illustrated by Chick Publications.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟713,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

What is your opinion?

Genesis 3:1

New International Version
Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the LORD God had made. He said to the woman, "Did God really say, 'You must not eat from any tree in the garden'?"

serpent ... part of wild animal group

snake, serpent are used interchangeably in the bible

Satan was originally an angel created by God ... not a snake ... therefore satan entered took possession of the body of a snake/serpent
God created all the animals and snakes/serpents were part of his creation.

Other places in the bible is referred to as the dragon ... in this verse both serpent and dragon are used.

Revelation 20

1Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven with the key to the Abyss, holding in his hand a great chain. 2He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent who is the devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years.

We know by several accounts in the bible where satan entered humans .... ie Judas Iscariot ... so certainly can and does embody humans or animals.

Upvote 0

Roderick Spode

Nov 12, 2019
Silicon Valley
✟23,995.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Genesis 3:1

New International Version
Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the LORD God had made. He said to the woman, "Did God really say, 'You must not eat from any tree in the garden'?"

serpent ... part of wild animal group

snake, serpent are used interchangeably in the bible

Satan was originally an angel created by God ... not a snake ... therefore satan entered took possession of the body of a snake/serpent
God created all the animals and snakes/serpents were part of his creation.

Other places in the bible is referred to as the dragon ... in this verse both serpent and dragon are used.

Revelation 20

1Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven with the key to the Abyss, holding in his hand a great chain. 2He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent who is the devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years.

We know by several accounts in the bible where satan entered humans .... ie Judas Iscariot ... so certainly can and does embody humans or animals.

Sure. For instance, the swine. But the Bible was clear on that. There's no mention whatsoever of Satan entering in, or opening the mouth of a snake.

The Hebrew word by the way used for wild animals (hay) is rather broadly interpreted as living beings. Satan certainly was in the garden. Do you think he would qualify as a living being?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟713,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sure. For instance, the swine. But the Bible was clear on that. There's no mention whatsoever of Satan entering in, or opening the mouth of a snake.

The Hebrew word by the way used for wild animals (hay) is rather broadly interpreted as living beings. Satan certainly was in the garden. Do you think he would qualify as a living being?

Are angels living beings? Is satan a fallen angel? Yes
Are celestial beings described as snake-like, serpent-like looking? No

Was lucifer created as a snake-like serpent-like in heaven? No

Genesis 3:14-15 where God curses the serpent, is seen in that light: "And the LORD God said unto the serpent,

God talking to "the serpent" ... so satan still in that same form.

Can satan create a living being of any kind? No ... he IS a created being.

Only thing left is satan possessed a already God created being, identified in Genesis as a serpent.

It does seem clear from Scripture that there was an actual serpent in the Garden-he is described as one of the wild animals that God had made (Genesis 1:25;2,19). The serpent was not a supernatural being. In some way, Satan entered into the body of the serpent to tempt Adam and Eve. Therefore, Satan himself is the personage behind the serpent. The serpent was the instrument the Devil used to do his bidding. Thus we can conclude that the tempter was the Devil who was disguised in the form of a snake/serpent.

The OP was opinion based ... this is my opinion and what it's based on.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

What is your opinion?

I am of the opinion that Raptor like creatures could speak at the time of Eden.

Actually..... most animals could communicate at that time according to what I have read.

A fascinating apocryphal book that adds details is called The Book of Adam and Eve. I thought it was brilliantly done.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟915,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It seems the most popular opinion is that Satan possessed a snake, using it as a mouthpiece to communicate with Eve. There is also an opinion that the snake was a dragon which would explain the idea of a serpent having legs, and losing them due to being cursed for it's act of deception.

A dragon is just a large serpent, not a "dragon" like we think of today. The serpent was and still is Satan himself. It's just one of many names he has because he is dangerous and deceptive just like many snakes are.

Upvote 0

Roderick Spode

Nov 12, 2019
Silicon Valley
✟23,995.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Are angels living beings? Is satan a fallen angel? Yes
Are celestial beings described as snake-like, serpent-like looking? No

Was lucifer created as a snake-like serpent-like in heaven? No

Genesis 3:14-15 where God curses the serpent, is seen in that light: "And the LORD God said unto the serpent,

God talking to "the serpent" ... so satan still in that same form.

Can satan create a living being of any kind? No ... he IS a created being.

Only thing left is satan possessed a already God created being, identified in Genesis as a serpent.

It does seem clear from Scripture that there was an actual serpent in the Garden-he is described as one of the wild animals that God had made (Genesis 1:25;2,19). The serpent was not a supernatural being. In some way, Satan entered into the body of the serpent to tempt Adam and Eve. Therefore, Satan himself is the personage behind the serpent. The serpent was the instrument the Devil used to do his bidding. Thus we can conclude that the tempter was the Devil who was disguised in the form of a snake/serpent.

The OP was opinion based ... this is my opinion and what it's based on.
And I do respect your opinion. I understand your viewpoint, and not claiming it's invalid.

Upvote 0

Roderick Spode

Nov 12, 2019
Silicon Valley
✟23,995.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am of the opinion that Raptor like creatures could speak at the time of Eden.

Actually..... most animals could communicate at that time according to what I have read.

A fascinating apocryphal book that adds details is called The Book of Adam and Eve. I thought it was brilliantly done.
Thank you, and I'll check this out.

I don't personally believe animals communicated verbally back then, although I think the incident with Balaam and the donkey may very well indicate that animals are far more intelligent than we may think. Unless God not only opened her mouth to speak, but also gave her the intellect to express herself, it would appear the donkey only lacked verbal skills, but was able to reason.

• Agree
Reactions: DennisTate
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JackRT

Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you, and I'll check this out.

I don't personally believe animals communicated verbally back then, although I think the incident with Balaam and the donkey may very well indicate that animals are far more intelligent than we may think. Unless God not only opened her mouth to speak, but also gave her the intellect to express herself, it would appear the donkey only lacked verbal skills, but was able to reason.

God would also have to modify the physical structure of the throat to enable speech.

Upvote 0

Roderick Spode

Nov 12, 2019
Silicon Valley
✟23,995.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A dragon is just a large serpent, not a "dragon" like we think of today. The serpent was and still is Satan himself. It's just one of many names he has because he is dangerous and deceptive just like many snakes are.
The specific reference I've heard about the serpent in the Garden being a dragon was not the mythical dragon, but a dinosaur. He takes the view a number of creationists take that the dragons of mythology were actually dinosaurs. A view I personally don't dismiss.

It seems from your post that you agree (or don't disagree) with my view that I can tell. I don't think the additional biblical reference to Satan and a dragon is a contradiction to my viewpoint.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟915,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The specific reference I've heard about the serpent in the Garden being a dragon was not the mythical dragon, but a dinosaur. He takes the view a number of creationists take that the dragons of mythology were actually dinosaurs. A view I personally don't dismiss.

The main problem with that is the Hebrew word used means a snake type of serpent not a different animal.

H5175
נָחָשׁ
nâchâsh
naw-khawsh'
From H5172; a snake (from its hiss): - serpent.
Total KJV occurrences: 31

It seems from your post that you agree (or don't disagree) with my view that I can tell. I don't think the additional biblical reference to Satan and a dragon is a contradiction to my viewpoint.

It supports our view that the serpent in the garden was actually Satan, not an actual snake. I definitely believe God could make it so a serpent could talk and allow Satan to speak through one but I find this a less likely, and very antiquated concept.

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate

What is your opinion?

Yes.

It's proper name (the avatar) was Azazel.

Upvote 0

Roderick Spode

Nov 12, 2019
Silicon Valley
✟23,995.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The main problem with that is the Hebrew word used means a snake type of serpent not a different animal.

H5175
נָחָשׁ
nâchâsh
naw-khawsh'
From H5172; a snake (from its hiss): - serpent.
Total KJV occurrences: 31

It supports our view that the serpent in the garden was actually Satan, not an actual snake. I definitely believe God could make it so a serpent could talk and allow Satan to speak through one but I find this a less likely, and very antiquated concept.
I think it's possible that the dragons of folklore may have been dinosaurs, but not that the serpent in the garden was a dinosaur possessed by Satan. I think this idea may be due to it possibly supporting a snake once having legs.

The key is that it's Satan being cursed in the passage. I don't think there was a double-curse being addressed as one. The focus is on Satan, not an animal being a co-conspirator alongside Satan.

Upvote 0