Did Confederate Flags Fly at a Gun-Rights Rally in Virginia?

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was there for the rally, and moved through the crowd, including the capital grounds.

I saw NO confederate flags, but saw an abundance of others, mostly USA and Gadsden Rattlers.

That evening, I saw a photo showing ONE confederate flag, and one gay-rainbow flag.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I was there for the rally, and moved through the crowd, including the capital grounds.

I saw NO confederate flags, but saw an abundance of others, mostly USA and Gadsden Rattlers.

That evening, I saw a photo showing ONE confederate flag, and one gay-rainbow flag.
According to the news reports, there was a gathering of people in connection with the state holiday that honors (and long has honored) Generals Lee and Jackson, both Virginians. It apparently was unrelated to the gun rights rally.

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

And yet, there they were. I'm curious, were you looking for confederate flags? Because if you weren't, why would you have noticed them? :scratch:

So you missed both of those, do you think you may have missed others as well?
tulc(is just curious)

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was looking for (and at) all flags, taking everything in.

I couldn't miss them (had they been there), since the crowd was shoulder-to-shoulder most of the time.

I think the "missing" was a matter of timing; it probably wasn't displayed very long.

The area in the photo was relatively small (capital grounds), and a person can see all of it at once. Hard to miss anything that is there.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟690,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And yet, there they were. I'm curious, were you looking for confederate flags? Because if you weren't, why would you have noticed them? :scratch:

So you missed both of those, do you think you may have missed others as well?
tulc(is just curious)

My husband noticed a lot of pink guns, but he wasn't looking for them, he noticed them because they stand out.

Perhaps this other poster didn't see something because he didn't walk past the one group (out of 10's of thousands there) who had one such flag.

I mean, you should applaud those who had to look so hard for something to complain about, they actually found a thing.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
(snip)

I mean, you should applaud those who had to look so hard for something to complain about, they actually found a thing.
Okay...of course if they weren't there people wouldn't have found them either.
tulc(thinks that's another way of looking at it) :wave:

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, 3 helicopters were in the air for the entire rally.

I watched the video twice on full-screen mode and saw no confederate flags; did you see any?
If so, where and when?
uhmmm...I couldn't recognize any flags in the video I posted, so...
tulc(well...except for the ones on top of the capitol building)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟690,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Sure, but one flag? People like pink guns apparently far more than they like confederate flags.

(Yea! for pink guns.. lol)

And they like the U.S. flag and the Gadsden rattlers more than all of it...wonder why..?

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,127.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
uhmmm...I couldn't recognize any flags in the video I posted, so...
tulc(well...except for the ones on top of the capitol building)

tulc signs off after shooting himself in the foot......twice.....over a gun rights rally.....poetic justice?

• Haha
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's one of those times when the extreme right shoots themselves in the foot. Instead of letting that woman jerk them around and reflexively denying the fact, it would have been easy to dismiss it, saying, "a few people waved Confederate flags, but they were greatly outnumbered by those waving American flags."

Instead, they denied everything, and missed the opportunity to make a valid point. Not a very smart way to handle this.

• Agree
Reactions: tulc
Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
tulc signs off after shooting himself in the foot......twice.....over a gun rights rally.....poetic justice?
...how did you come to the idea I "shot myself in the foot?". The article I posted pointed out there were confederate flags at the rally just as she said, and if we were going on just "flags we can identify by video taken from the helicopters" I couldn't say with any certainty what flags were there. But I understand, people sometimes like to pretend to have "scored points" in a thread, even if those "points" only exist in their own imagination. :wave:
tulc(doesn't take it personally) ;)

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Why would it be interesting though? From the videos I saw there was tons of flags of different natures. Maybe there was more, but there were tons of other flags of different themes. They certainly out numbered them if there were some.

I saw more people of just about any background wearing stickers that said, "Guns Save Lifes". You see plenty of those same people carrying openly which is legal of course.

I think the media was disappointed that there was no violence, chaos, property damage, fires, riots, and lol people walking about in their KKK gowns. That story pretty much died as soon as the rally was over, but BOY did they hype it!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
According to the news reports, there was a gathering of people in connection with the state holiday that honors (and long has honored) Generals Lee and Jackson, both Virginians. It apparently was unrelated to the gun rights rally.

Yes, Lee-Jackson Day dates back to the 1880s.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,623.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, 3 helicopters were in the air for the entire rally.

I watched the video twice on full-screen mode and saw no confederate flags; did you see any?
If so, where and when?
No

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
CBS was reporting on the rally, and they had asked their reporter if he saw any White Nationalist, KKK, etc there. He said No. This was an African American, and told the office that was asking him questions that they normally let themselves known.

I paused it at that point in case you didn't want to hear the entire the interview exchange. CBS

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why would it be interesting though?
(snip)
Actually, the interesting thing for me were the reactions people had to what Rep. Ocasio-Cortez said. People lost their mind at her, accused her of a lot of things, said she was lying and so on. But it turns out, she was right, and now people want to try and make this about "Well, people have the right to fly any flag they want to fly." Which isn't actually what this thread is about. What it's about is: she was right, they over reacted, and now they're trying to move the goalpost to try and cover for that. :wave:
tulc(finds that part interesting as well)

Upvote 0