overcomer

AKA 'OntheDL'
Mar 25, 2004
✟13,696.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
We were called "The Sect of the Nazorean" back then and historian/priest Eusubius writing about 300 ad called us "orthodox in beliefs but heretics in practice." He lumped us in with another group called Ebionites (who denied Jesus was divine - true heretics) and as a result we were not at the 325 Nicean council.

Vatican II - mid 1960s.
The modern Messianic movement was started by 3 rabbis from eastern Europe in the late 1800s:

Orthodox Rabbi Isaac Lichtenstein of Romania - 1880s
Chassidic Rabbi Joseph Rabinowitz of Moscow - 1880s
Orthodox Rabbi Leopold Cohn - New York - 1890s. (emigrated from Hungary)

Rabbi Isaac Lichtenstein, 'I love Yeshua my Messiah' (1824-1909) - Jewish Testimonies
Joseph Rabinowitz and the Messianic Movement: The Herzl of Jewish Christianity - Jews for Jesus
Testimony of Rabbi Leopold Cohn

I love how you put your messianic judaimism plug in whenever possible even in totally unrelated threads. :preach:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

overcomer

AKA 'OntheDL'
Mar 25, 2004
✟13,696.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The Sonship by incarnation view, held by the late Walter Martin, and until the mid-1990s by John McArthur taught that the logos (word) is eternal as the logos / word, but that he then became the Son only at the incarnation. Is this the SDA view which you are discussing here or have I misunderstood you?

The current SDA official belief is the orthodox trinitarian view on the Sonship.

However as I quoted the SDA pioneers believed:
1. The Sonship is not the title of the second person of the Trinity, but the literal relationship of Christ with God.
2. Christ was the only begotten son of the Father as the scriptures taught, not a makebelief metaphorical roleplay.
3. Christ had a beginning when he was begotten and the Father gave all authority and power to him.

Upvote 0

overcomer

AKA 'OntheDL'
Mar 25, 2004
✟13,696.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
God declared Jesus is his beloved son. Jesus called God his father.

I am supposed to put these personal testimonies aside and believe in claims that are not substantiated by scriptures that the Son is but a metaphorical title of the second person of the Godhead and the father-son relationship is not literal, it's but a make-believe role play.

What a sad person would I be?

Upvote 0

Dedication

Aug 9, 2007
✟8,187.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The official Seventh Day Adventist Statement from the 28 statements of belief:

2. Trinity: "There is one God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, a unity of three co-eternal Persons. God is immortal, all-powerful, all-knowing, above all, and ever present. He is infinite and beyond human comprehension, yet known through His self-revelation. He is forever worthy of worship, adoration, and service by the whole creation."

4. Son: "God the eternal Son became incarnate in Jesus Christ. Through Him all things were created, the character of God is revealed, the salvation of humanity is accomplished, and the world is judged. Forever truly God, He became also truly man, Jesus the Christ. He was conceived of the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary. He lived and experienced temptation as a human being, but perfectly exemplified the righteousness and love of God. By His miracles He manifested God's power and was attested as God's promised Messiah. He suffered and died voluntarily on the cross for our sins and in our place, was raised from the dead, and ascended to minister in the heavenly sanctuary in our behalf. He will come again in glory for the final deliverance of His people and the restoration of all things."

• Winner
Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
What is the official Seventh-day Adventist teaching regarding Christ's Sonship? Did He become the Son of God or has He always been the Son of God?

Has always been the Son of God.

It is my contention that Seventh-day Adventists believe and teach that Christ became the Son of God at some point either before or after the incarnation.

Why do you contend that without a reference to the Adventist statement of beliefs showing that to be their view?

The official Seventh Day Adventist Statement from the 28 statements of belief:

2. Trinity: "There is one God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, a unity of three co-eternal Persons. God is immortal, all-powerful, all-knowing, above all, and ever present. He is infinite and beyond human comprehension, yet known through His self-revelation. He is forever worthy of worship, adoration, and service by the whole creation."

4. Son: "God the eternal Son became incarnate in Jesus Christ. Through Him all things were created, the character of God is revealed, the salvation of humanity is accomplished, and the world is judged. Forever truly God, He became also truly man, Jesus the Christ. He was conceived of the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary. He lived and experienced temptation as a human being, but perfectly exemplified the righteousness and love of God. By His miracles He manifested God's power and was attested as God's promised Messiah. He suffered and died voluntarily on the cross for our sins and in our place, was raised from the dead, and ascended to minister in the heavenly sanctuary in our behalf. He will come again in glory for the final deliverance of His people and the restoration of all things."

Thanks for posting that

Upvote 0