• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Did China Have An Excellent COVID Response?

Discussion in 'General Political Discussion' started by Tree of Life, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Erik Nelson

Erik Nelson Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,445
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
  2. lismore

lismore Maranatha

+2,569
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    Yes. I think by definition we can't know what is actually going on in China. They don't allow freedom of speech or any scrutiny of official figures. Totalitarian governments lie daily.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  3. Arc F1

Arc F1 Let the righteous man arise from slumber Supporter

+2,100
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Just ran across this. Very interesting.

A closer look at U.S. deaths due to COVID-19

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. helmut

helmut Member

+232
    Germany
    Protestant
    Married
    China had a successful strategy against Covid-19, that's a fact.

But there are two aspects that speak against China:
    • When doctors discovered there was a new illness and warned the authorities in Wuhan, they were quieted. Li Wenliang got a warning he would be punished if he continued to "spread unconfirmed rumors". This can not be directly used against Peking - but the motives of the local authorities were certainly motivated by the wish to paint a positive image for their superiors, so this behavior is inherent in the Chinese system.
    • The growing pressure on the society by the government. Around 2012 the course gradually changed from "reforms" to "re-establishing absolute power of the leader". You explained in detail what that means, I absolutely agree on that.
    The (non-US) mainstream media I consume mention China, but don't praise it. The countries that are praised are Japan, South Korea, and New Zealand. Sometimes Singapore, though with some criticism of the limited freedom there.

No. And I am glad that the president who showed a tendency to treat unpleasant facts as they are tread in China, has lost the election.

Yes. But there are better examples we should look to.

EDIT: Typo

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  5. JSRG

JSRG Active Member

+146
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Is it? From what I've seen, New Zealand is the popular one to bring up.

6. Ophiolite

Ophiolite Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape

+7,255
    United Kingdom
    Agnostic
    Private
    I didn't notice this post when you made it, hence the delayed response.

I observed that if US citizens were ready to voluntarily accept restrictions comparable with those that China imposed upon their citizens in regard to Covid, then the US would not have experienced the level of infections, or number of deaths that they have.
    You ask if I think this would generally be applicable. In a very general sense, yes:
    Indivduals, understandably, are inclined to focus on the short term and on themselves. Government intervention, for the benefit of society, becomes more important when individuals insist upon "freedom" and "rights". The best way I know to ensure ones rights are preserved is to take up those rights with discretion and proper reflection, that way we avoid the tyrannical aspects of the "Chinese Solution".