Did Calvin believe in Limited Atonement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhawk

Monkey Boy
Feb 5, 2002
Ft. Worth, tx
Visit site
✟22,925.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"Yes unsaved people can do things that are helpful to others. What I'm saying is having the wrong motive doesn't just make it wrong and of no benefit, it makes it sinful. I do not believe that God has given the unsaved the capacity for the selfless love required for an action to be righteous."

i agree. the unsaved man can only sin. All they so is unrighteouss because they do not do it for God. They do it for the wrong motive for that is the only right motive. One can do things for other motives also but the ultimate motive has to be for God. if not then it is a sin and unrighteouss.

"The problem here is that we have no real proof as to whether someone has become regenerate or if they ever will in the future. It may sound crass but I believe that without the love of God in our lives we are incapable of love. For the unsaved it is merely a offshoot of their lust. They don't love their wife in a godly way, they love what their wife brings to their life. They don't love their children enough to get past the uncomfortable feelings they get when they spank them and do it anyway because it's what God wants from the parents. They say stuff like, "I'm not speaking to my mother because I love her too much to fight anymore." Ridiculous! True love would forgive. What that person really means is, "I'm not speaking to my mother because I love myself too much to ask for forgiveness and to forgive her."

This is interesting. I think that nonChristians can do things primarily for others only. But I think that if they do not do it for God then they are depraved and it is a sin and it unrighteouss. But I think that some do things for more reasons then just because it helps them. And I do not think it is always their primary motive. But if it is not for God then it is a sin.

"Right. But saying something is "not really righteous" is just a flowery way of saying something is "unrighteous." "

I have no problem with saying that they will always be unrighteouss. Maybe my posts were confusing but I really believe in total depravity.

blackhawk

Upvote 0

Reformationist

Non nobis domine sed tuo nomine da gloriam
Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by LouisBooth
"That is a quote from Romans 3. "

Yup, type-o...its romans 43:10 on and the other is 8:7-on

I disagreed with the statement as the verses clearly say. Unsaved can do NO good at all.

I don't understand a thing you're saying here. "Type-o?" "Romans 43:10 on?" There is no Romans 43. "8:7-on?" What do you mean by "on?" I am totally confused as to what you are saying? You say you disagreed with the statements and then further that by saying that the "unsaved can do no good at all." The part that confuses me is that this is what I, too, have always said. So if we're saying the same things what is it that you disagree with?

In case you're not comprehending what I'm saying, I am a proponant of total depravity and the belief that the unregenerate man can do no good.

God bless.

Upvote 0

Reformationist

Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by Blackhawk
Maybe my posts were confusing but I really believe in total depravity.

blackhawk

I know you do brother. :) As you say, I think we share very similar opinions.

Keep studying and make sure you share whatever you learn.

God bless.

Upvote 0
Thus saith the Lord

Isa 64
6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags ; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.
7 And there is none that calleth upon thy name, that stirreth up himself to take hold of thee: for thou hast hid thy face from us, and hast consumed us, because of our iniquities.

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"There is no Romans 43. "8:7-on?" What do you mean by "on?" I am totally confused as to what you are saying?"

*sigh* 3:10 on..another type-o a type-o is when you mistype something. like adding a 4 in front of 3:10 or typing in 4 instead of 3.

Upvote 0

Reformationist

Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by LouisBooth
"There is no Romans 43. "8:7-on?" What do you mean by "on?" I am totally confused as to what you are saying?"

*sigh* 3:10 on..another type-o a type-o is when you mistype something. like adding a 4 in front of 3:10 or typing in 4 instead of 3.

Oh! Sorry to be so dense there. I'm still a little confused by the "on" thing. Do you mean "one?"

God bless.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.